Sleeper Safety | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sleeper Safety

jmorgan6977

Puck the Fats
Reaction score
Jamaal Brimmer UNLV in my opinion is just as good as any of the top ten safeties and should be atleast in the top five safeties
. I wish I had some video but if he falls to day two he is going to be golden. Has anyone else seen him play? The guy is a play maker.

J-MO

I agree. He has slipped alot, but could be a nice pick in the later rounds.

jmorgan6977 said:
Jamaal Brimmer UNLV in my opinion is just as good as any of the top ten safeties and should be atleast in the top five safeties
. I wish I had some video but if he falls to day two he is going to be golden. Has anyone else seen him play? The guy is a play maker.

J-MO
The knock on him is he's just too slow to play in the NFL.
Have you ever heard that before? :rolleyes:
He's probably worth a mid to late round pick.

Place him in a box, and he could be a good starter. Worth a pick since we don't have a true backup SS.

sports24/7 said:
I agree. He has slipped alot, but could be a nice pick in the later rounds.

Why has he slipped, league, team sucked, I saw that guy create 3 turnovers and recover two of them in one game. I though he was retty consistant with his play too.

J-Mo

He could be taken at a bargain spot in the draft, b/c his workouts haven't been great and his wonderlic was one of the lowest for his position. Since those things often carry more weight (when compared against on-field performance,) than they should, I would not expect Brimmer to go before the 6th round, if he even gets drafted at all. He is considered to be only an in-the-box strong safety and a liability if used in deep coverage.

We wouldn't use him in that role. I expect him to be a box safety where he could thrive like Rodney Harrison. Our FS' job is to play centerfield. We have Bell and Tillman, and Poole could play FS if we deem our CBs good enough.

Havent heard anything about him, but my sleeper saftey Atari Bigby, UCF. Anyone know exactly where Bigby is projected?? I read anything about him draft wise, just curious.

When I saw this I was like oh wow somebody finally found out how good Diamond Ferri is!

Scouting report from Scout.com:

Ht: 5-10 Wt: 223 40: 4.69 Year: 5Sr

Bio: Two-year starter and All-Conference selection as a senior after posting 99/4/6. Also third on the team in rushing last season with 29/173/2. Set a Syracuse single season record for tackles by a defensive back as a junior with 120. Left the team in 2002 for personal reasons after playing running back the prior two years.

Positives: Explosive prospect with a good amount of upside for the next level. Quick reading or diagnosing the action, displays a burst of closing speed and not afraid to jump into the mix. Can backpedal and fluid moving in reverse. Fast laterally, possesses solid cover skills and the ability to stay with receivers out from breaks. Has enough speed to recover on plays. Displays a good move on the ball. Flashes on the scene and possesses a good deal of suddenness.

Negatives: Does not always take the best angles in center field and occasionally bites on receivers moves in man coverage. Gets tall tackling.

Analysis: A safety with a well-rounded game, Ferri is tough defending the run, yet also displays solid skills in pass coverage. Not as tall as many want in a true free safety, yet his ball skills and willingness to mix it up is very tough to overlook. One of the hidden values in this draft and a prospect who can be very productive at the next level.

As opposed to the overrated (IMO)Brimmer:

Ht: 6-1.5 Wt: 216 40: 4.92 Year: 5Sr

Bio: Three-year starter who made spot appearances with the first team as a freshman. All- Conference selection the past two-years, most recently totaling 82/1/5 as a senior. Posted a career-high 100 tackles as a sophomore.

Positives: Aggressive, run-defending safety with the ability to play in zone. Explosive up the field supporting the run, defends screen plays and works to make positive things happen. Adequate backpedaling in reverse, displays a burst of closing speed and effective facing the quarterback. Fast off the edge on blitzes. Squares into tackles and wraps up.

Negatives: Best playing between the numbers and usually a half step late to the flanks in coverage. Struggles in man-to-man situations. More of a chaser rather than a defender who diagnoses the action.

Analysis: A nice-sized safety with growth potential, Brimmer has the mentality and physical skills to play up in the box. Best defending the run, he displays adequate skills covering the pass in a small area and looks best suited for a two deep system.

a 4.92 40 yard dash!!! That is slow as hell!! I ran that when I was 14 and 5'6, I hope thats not right cuz if it is I dont want him, and I dont think he will be drafted at all unless it is in the 7th.

knight6jb said:
a 4.92 40 yard dash!!! That is slow as hell!! I ran that when I was 14 and 5'6, I hope thats not right cuz if it is I dont want him, and I dont think he will be drafted at all unless it is in the 7th.
Its right. Scout.com is the only site that actually attends the combine from what I know.

jmorgan6977 said:

J-MO
He had like a 4.98 40 man...thats slower than clarett sorry!

I'm faster than that at 16

Ferri is too small and inexperienced.

Brimmer was a hot topic 2 years ago, he then vanished once he never made anymore big plays. Obviously his speed vanished to LOL Prisoners with the old ball and chain to their ankle could beat 4.98

Schleprock said:
Ferri is too small and inexperienced.

Brimmer was a hot topic 2 years ago, he then vanished once he never made anymore big plays. Obviously his speed vanished to LOL Prisoners with the old ball and chain to their ankle could beat 4.98
Ferri is short in stature but he plays heavy at 214-223. He has ball skills and run d skills. If youve seen him play hes a really well kept secret.

Yeah, his time was a big part of his fall. Before the season some considered him the top S coming out. But some people just don't run well, so I think it would be a good late round pick. For some reason I have this feeling we are going to end up with him. I have thought that for a while now. I don't know why, but I just have this feeling in my gut. He may not turn out to be anything, but he could end up being a late round steal. Those are the type of guys I like to take in the late rounds.

Back
Top Bottom