Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
Maybe they felt he was perfect playing at that weight. He missed a half of one game with a broken finger after destroying the Ohio state defense in the first half. Other than his broken finger, he didn’t miss any games in 3 years at Alabama because of injury.

Not many players can play three years in the SEC at the level Smith did and not miss some games because of injury. Pitts missed three games last year due to injuries and I don’t see anyone questioning if he will hold up in the NFL because of his size and weight.
This is a thread about Smith.

It took an illegal hit to the head (Targeting in the purest form) to have Pitts miss a game.

Maybe it's because Pitts outweighs Slim Ripper by almost 80lbs...79 to be exact. :lol:

I’m no expert, but I knew hundreds of athletes growing up (and was one), and I never, ever heard of a 6-foot, 166-pound athlete trying and failing to get up to 175-180. Plenty of guys never tried and hovered around 165, but anyone I ever knew who made a serious effort to add bulk to a 6-foot frame under 170 pounds had no problem doing it. That includes myself.

Maybe I’m just ignorant, but I don’t understand how this is even a question. It’s science. If the dude eats X amount of calories a day, he’s going to gain weight. Just seems like it hasn’t been a focus to this point.
So he never tried to gain weight in college? Likely story.

This is a thread about Smith.

It took an illegal hit to the head (Targeting in the purest form) to have Pitts miss a game.

Maybe it's because Pitts outweighs Slim Ripper by almost 80lbs...79 to be exact. :lol:
Pitts also missed the LSU game with a separate injury.

So he never tried to gain weight in college? Likely story.
I mean, he came in at 159 and left four years later at 166. So all available evidence suggests no, he didn’t try to gain weight in college. Most people gain a lot more than 7 pounds in college without trying.

Last edited:
I weighed 166 lbs in 9th grade, 🤦‍♂️
but they don’t call him the slim reaper for nothing.

Right but Tebow was taken in the 1st anyway because of the insane college production, Heisman, NC winning plays, the "it" factor and intangibles. These I believe are the same primary reasons we selected Tua last year over Herbert's protypical arm and size and I believe the primary reasons someone might take Smith ahead of say Pitts who is 80 lbs heavier, 6 inches taller, and faster to boot! I just don't think we make a living by always trying to find that outlier gem and passing on prototype talented players for the "it" factor/intangible guy. You want to have an open mind and not always go prototype but you should be most of the time.
And if we could re-draft QBs this year I'm still taking Tua over Herbert.

Just because someone stupid drafted Tebow in the 1st when most non-fan bois knew he wasn't good doesn't mean the drafting Smith because he doesn't fit the prototype is the same thing.

Just an example. If we take the smaller less protypical NFL player every year because he shined at Bama we just may be out thinking ourselves. I like Tua and in no way want this to be any kind of anti-Tua thread but the majority of folks last year were definitely in favor of him over Herbert because of these intangibles, NC game winning plays, etc whereas Herbert, he has all the tools but we just don't know if he's a winner, can lead a team, has the intangibles. You might take Tua over Herbert now after last year's results but let's try and be honest with ourselves, if put to every NFL club today it's probably the other way around because the measurables matter and the worry of a lack of intangibles or "it" factor doesn't seem to be an issue for Herbert anymore or less so.

Again, Tua's comp was Brees, took him years to become the Brees we all know and love. Tua can and I hope will overtake Herbert, I'm just trying to point out the Bama dominance can cover up some things and similarly, guys from less prominent programs, when put on an NFL club can shine. Smith is great, just like Tua, but he is very small compared to almost every comp in the league (without the game breaking speed we usually see from small guys). So when splitting hairs between top players considered at #6 or just top 10, this has to have meaning.

Just an example. If we take the smaller less protypical NFL player every year because he shined at Bama we just may be out thinking ourselves. I like Tua and in no way want this to be any kind of anti-Tua thread but the majority of folks last year were definitely in favor of him over Herbert because of these intangibles, NC game winning plays, etc whereas Herbert, he has all the tools but we just don't know if he's a winner, can lead a team, has the intangibles. You might take Tua over Herbert now after last year's results but let's try and be honest with ourselves, if put to every NFL club today it's probably the other way around because the measurables matter and the worry of a lack of intangibles or "it" factor doesn't seem to be an issue for Herbert anymore or less so.

Again, Tua's comp was Brees, took him years to become the Brees we all know and love. Tua can and I hope will overtake Herbert, I'm just trying to point out the Bama dominance can cover up some things and similarly, guys from less prominent programs, when put on an NFL club can shine. Smith is great, just like Tua, but he is very small compared to almost every comp in the league (without the game breaking speed we usually see from small guys). So when splitting hairs between top players considered at #6 or just top 10, this has to have meaning.
Lack of intangibles and it factor doesn't matter anymore for Herbert as he posted a *checks notes* 6-9 record with some pretty back-breaking 4th quarter fumbles/interceptions that lost the game, same as in college?

What?

Also, I'd wager Smith is faster than both Pitts and Chase so since you want "game breaking speed", you are prioritizing Waddle first? Is that right? Just trying to follow your logic here.

I said try and be honest with yourself. He won rookie of the year on offense and got thrown into a starting position unexpectedly early in the year. He played well, I guarantee you if he had done all that for the Fins this board would think it had the 2nd coming of Marino with that size and arm, just a mobile Marino. You don't have to try and make him look bad to make your point. Records flip around every year and rookies usually have their biggest jump in year 2 at QB, see Aaron Rodgers. I am hoping for just that with Tua as he is over the injury and has a great work ethic so I'm sure is preparing like crazy right now.

Did Smith run a 40 anywhere? I thought he skipped that. I know it was just pro days this year but Pitts and Chase put up extremely impressive figures. Isn't Smith's claim to fame that he is a smooth player, great route runner, quick in his breaks, catches everything? I didn't think speed demon was his thing, guess I could be wrong just didn't see him put up any time.

My point about game breaking speed was he doesn't seem to have that in which to counter his extreme slightness and lightness, again very few comps for a 165 lb receiver in the big league who makes his bones on crsip routes so we're trying to guess how the awesome traits he does have will translate.

If you are asking what my priority is, I'm looking for top talent without serious red flags. Would go Pitts first of the 4 play makers. I used to think Chase 2nd but I might just be moving Waddle into a tie there, there is some truth to the point Chase may be more redundant to what we already have (I have no info on his injury status which could change things). Waddle with the Tyreek comparisons, that kind of of game breaking ability and speed (together with Watson) would free up a lot of our run game and underneath stuff. I'm intrigued there. Similary, having Pitts and Geisicki would allow us to dictate defensive personnel, also leading to more open run game, etc. I have Smith last of the 4 (but still a very respectable top 12-15 pick for those who adore him) because of the red flag on the size/weight but I don't think just adding his presence allows us to dictate to defenses as much as Pitts/Waddle.

Certainly could be wrong my man.

And if we could re-draft QBs this year I'm still taking Tua over Herbert.

Just because someone stupid drafted Tebow in the 1st when most non-fan bois knew he wasn't good doesn't mean the drafting Smith because he doesn't fit the prototype is the same thing.
Just my take but I think if Tua was already out of the league you'd redraft him.

:rolleyes:

I don’t like that he’s light but I don’t like drafting any of these WR’s top 10. I do love Smith’s freakishly long arms and college production. I’d be happy trading down a few times and drafting Smith. I don’t really like Smith, Waddle or Chase at 6. For me it’s Pitts or Sewell or trade back.

Back
Top Bottom