Rolandan Finch - Boston College

Jalston Fowler - Alabama

Jerome Smith - Syracuse

Fitzgerald Toussaint - Michigan

Tim Cornett - UNLV

Antonio Andrews - Western Kentucky

David Oku - Arkansas St.

Marcus Coker - Stony Brook

I like to see Ben Malena on there, the little bit I watched I liked, but can't find him ranked anywhere for some reason...like top 50 even. Let the 2014 draft season begin! Can't wait to get a year of tape in now that I got some time.

Quarterbacks:

Tajh Boyd - Clemson

Kolton Browning - UL-Monroe

Chase Rettig - Boston College

Aaron Murray - Georgia

A.J. McCarron - Alabama

Zach Mettenberger - LSU

Logan Thomas - Virginia Tech

Tyler Tettleton - Ohio

Casey Pachall - TCU

Tyler Russell - Mississippi St.

Derek Carr - Fresno St.

Stephen Morris - Miami

Bryn Renner - North Carolina

Jeff Mathews - Cornell

Keith Price - Washington

Kurt Hess - Youngstown St.

Cory Robinson - Troy

Any reason you don't have Fales on here? Saw your first post and saw you say he was gonna be your #1. Loved his Stanford tape, nothing about him screams elite traits but he is just solid across the board. Really left an impression on me.

Any reason you don't have Fales on here? Saw your first post and saw you say he was gonna be your #1. Loved his Stanford tape, nothing about him screams elite traits but he is just solid across the board. Really left an impression on me.

He's not in there because I already talked about him in the first post. None of the kids that I took the time to write up were included in the position lists.

be happy if we could find a way to come away with jake matthews and cj fiedorowicz in next years draft.

Was able to go ahead and do an early tier up of my Senior running backs on page 4.

Runningbacks:

Tier 1

Zurlon Tipton - Central Michigan

Antonio Andrews - Western Kentucky

Waymon James - TCU

David Fluellen - Toledo

Damien Williams - Oklahoma

Carlos Hyde - Ohio St.

Tier 2

Alfred Blue - LSU

Charles Sims - Houston

Stephen Houston - Indiana

Marcus Coker - Stony Brook

James White - Wisconsin

Marion Grice - Arizona St.

Silas Redd - USC

Senorise Perry - Louisville

Shakir Bell - Indiana St.

Branden Oliver - Buffalo

Tier 3

Ben Malena - Texas A&M

LaDarius Perkins - Mississippi St.

David Oku - Arkansas St.

Rajion Neal - Tennessee

Tim Cornett - UNLV

Jeremy Smith - Oklahoma St.

Beau Blankenship - Ohio

Rolandan Finch - Boston College

Prince Tyson-Gulley - Syracuse

Venric Mark - Northwestern

Tier 4

Tre Watts - Tulsa

James Sims - Kansas

Ja'Terian Douglas - Tulsa

Fitzgerald Toussaint - Michigan

Jeff Scott - Ole Miss

Jerome Smith - Syracuse

Andre Williams - Boston College

Should've started off with tier 2 or tier 3. Right now this looks like a horrible runningback class & it will be two years in a row that a runningback wasn't selected in the first round. Four of the kids that are supposed to be the top junior backs have all been in legal hot water (Carey, Dyer, Crowell, Wilder) which pushes them down from the first & probably the second round.

Should've started off with tier 2 or tier 3. Right now this looks like a horrible runningback class & it will be two years in a row that a runningback wasn't selected in the first round. Four of the kids that are supposed to be the top junior backs have all been in legal hot water (Carey, Dyer, Crowell, Wilder) which pushes them down from the first & probably the second round.

I don't see me handing out any 1st round grades to any of the Senior class of RB's. However, it doesn't mean there's not quality backs here. I like quite a few of 'em. The main thing that seperates Tier 1 from Tier 2 is production and consistency.

Talent wise, Alfred Blue would easily be in Tier 1 if he'd just stay healthy. Antonio Andrews, Tipton, Waymon James, and Damien Williams have talent. Waymon James was averaging nearly 10 yards a pop during his first 3 games last year before his season ended due to a knee injury. He's been the most talented back at TCU since he arrived on campus 3 years ago in my opinion.

Antonio Andrews is one of the most complete backs in the country, even if he doesn't have any single trait that stands out as elite. He was almost a Louisville commit. Basically, I agree with what you're saying. However, I think you're dismissing some quality tailbacks simply because they don't come with 1st round hype.

As for the underclassman, you make a great point in regards to the legal issues that are prevalent among the most talented. The value in the underclassman RB class is found with Adam Muema and Lache Seastrunk if you're looking for clean kids.... mainly Muema. Seastrunk's ties to the recruiting violations at Oregon are the only thing that really hangs around his neck.

If you want a super duper sleeper at quarterback...I'm talking like a combination of Cam Newton/Matt Cassel in terms of being off the map...then I'm looking at Brandon Mitchell formerly of Arkansas.

Just announced his intention to transfer. Two sport guy at Arkansas, excelled in basketball and football. John L. Smith moved him to wide receiver because he wanted him on the field in 2012 in some capacity, and Tyler Wilson was the starter at QB already. Has a good reputation at Arkansas as a leader and team player. Bielema could've tried to keep him as his QB depth is minimal and Mitchell would've been a good receiver/wildcat/x-factor that he vowed to get onto the field in some manner regardless of what shakes out at QB, but he has a lot of respect for Mitchell and allowed him to chase his dream of being a college quarterback.

Mitchell is a graduate so the rules about sitting out a year don't apply. He's looking to go somewhere that needs an immediate starter.

We're looking at an NFL where a player like B.J. Daniels goes in the 7th round due to his pure combination of feet and arm talent (which is significant). This guy has that.

I can't tell you if he's accurate or not. I can't tell you if he makes good decisions or not. I can tell you he looks good dropping back and throwing the football, and has a cannon for an arm. I can tell you he's 6'4" and 235 lbs and runs like a wide receiver. I can tell you that if you exclude the two times he got stuck in the game at QB against Alabama (including, absurdly, 2012 when he had been moved to wide receiver all year), he was 22 of 31 for 289 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs with 14 runs for 68 yards and 2 more TDs in his college career. I can tell you that in his last two spring games he's 23 of 34 for 240 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT (that wasn't really his fault) plus an additional run TD. I can tell you he looked pretty damn smooth, balanced and accurate throwing the football in that latest 2013 spring game, and I have no idea what possesses Brent Bielema to think that Brandon Allen is a better quarterback.

I just think every year some guy we're not even talking about ends up really high up on radar. In 2011 it was Cam Newton, who was a JUCO quarterback prior to that 2010 season. In 2012 it was Robert Griffin, who many were considering for a move to wide receiver prior to the 2011 season. In 2012...well the class in general sucked so I guess there wasn't any surprise guy that wasn't on radar at all.

If there's one of those guys in 2014...I think Brandon Mitchell is a great candidate to be it. Not necessarily trying to make a big deal out of him I just find him to be fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5aBK0tVKzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1nqJfy8Z8

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitchell has always intrigued me as an athlete, although saying he has a lot to prove as a quarterback is an understatement. He simply doesn't have enough time playing the position to warrant an evaluation. I figured he'd get his shot at some point but apparently it's not in the cards for him in Fayetteville. I do remember Milliner picking him off a couple years ago when he was forced into action after we knocked Tyler Wilson out of the game.

He had a lot of trouble picking up the offense which is why Bielema decided on Allen. Spring games are irrelevant for quarterback evaluations because they don't have to worry about getting hit. Coaches will typically even take defenders off the field if they're too disruptive towards the execution of the offense. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and if he performs. Nice athlete.

Picking up the offense has been the issue in Bielema's new offense. I think the spring thing kind of works both ways with such a physically dynamic guy like him. They weren't allowed to hit him, but he wasn't allowed to do damage to them with his feet, either.

Yeah, the year before last Dee picked him off when he went deep on Milliner's single coverage. Great pick off for Milliner. Was kind of a 50/50 ball. I thought he would look terrible in his snaps against Bama based on the stats, but really he looked decent.

Very intriguing overall athlete. Even his time at receiver is intriguing. I'd love to see how he progresses if he gets a chance to start. South Florida needs a QB in the worst way, even if only in the short term. I'd take him down there in a heartbeat.

The odds don't seem to be in Brandon Mitchell's favor. QBs that transfer don't fair well in getting drafted. Since 2006 only eight QBs that transferred were drafted (Russell Wilson, BJ Coleman, Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett, Rhett Bomar, Joe Flacco, Colt Brennan, & Ingle Martin).

I know scouting QBs out of high school isn't the greatest science but using ESPN's QB rankings of incoming freshman here are the transfer numbers of the top 20 QBs from 2006-2011:

QB Class of 2011
16 of top 20 still with original school, two transfers, two never stepped foot on campus & are playing pro baseball

QB Class of 2010
9 of the top 20 still with original school, 11 transfers

QB Class of 2009
13 of top 20 stayed with original school, seven transfers

QB Class of 2008
16 of to 20 stayed with original school, three transfers, one left early to play pro baseball

QB Class of 2007
9 of top 20 stayed with original school, 11 transfers

QB Class of 2006
12 of top 20 stayed with original school, eight transfers

Of all the top 20 QBs that transferred between 2006 & 2009 only two (Cam Newton & Ryan Mallett) were drafted into the NFL. That's just 2 of 29 transfers, less than 7%. So if you're a QB & you transfer you're career is pretty much over.

Well I'm not sure I understand what your methodology is here but I can tell you just off the top of my head that Russell Wilson transferred from North Carolina State to Wisconsin and he's not on your list for whatever reason, and again off the top of my head I know that Troy Aikman transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA. And that's without even doing any research.

Not even labeling this guy the next great NFL quarterback or anything like that. Just saying that if B.J. Daniels can get drafted 7th round on his pure combination of feet and arm talent then I think if Brandon Mitchell goes to the right spot and has a good year he could do the same and we'll be talking about him for the Draft in 2014. Not saying 1st round, not saying 2nd round. Just saying we could be talking about him.

Slimm you might be interested in this. On an interview with a radio station about Mitchell, his high school coach from Amite, Alden Foster was on. Asked what the recruiting experience with Brandon was like, he said it's funny because the day Brandon called him after talking to Bielema and deciding to transfer, Coach Burton Burns was there looking at some of his current group. Burns said he wished they'd have just grabbed him at Alabama because when they played Arkansas, Brandon was pretty much the only guy making plays against them in that debacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom