Slimm's 2014 Seniors | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2014 Seniors

Coach Burns would be correct. Dennis Johnson and Knile Davis were fumbling all over the place while Cobi Hamilton was dropping passes that hit him right in the hands. Like I said, Mitchell has always intrigued me as an athlete, although not at quarterback. I'd like to see what he could do at H-back.

It's more of an observation in numbers of QBs that transfer don't normally succeed in getting drafted into the NFL. I did mention Russell Wilson in the first paragraph as one of the eight QBs drafted since 2006.

Really good call on the tailbacks being upside down as far as non-traditional sources of talent leading the way with guys like Zurlon Tipton and Antonio Andrews. I've just been doing a lot of work on tailbacks in this draft and I couldn't agree more. Tipton looks like he could be the very best of the class because he's so physically blessed in addition to being a sudden, instinctive runner. And he also blocks, which is a nice bonus. Antonio Andrews to me was trained under Willie Taggart who was himself an excellent RBs Coach and knows what he's looking for in a tailback, and everything about what he does screams pro level instincts and north-south ability. Plus when you really superimpose these guys' tape up against one another, I believe Andrews is moving at a really high pace. These two tailbacks are two of the very best in the class but they're not going to be recognized next to guys like Silas Redd, Ladarius Perkins and Damien Williams for now, because of where they play.

However, it's hard for me to fathom how QB Tyler Russell isn't even on your list. I just don't agree with that.

Really good call on the tailbacks being upside down as far as non-traditional sources of talent leading the way with guys like Zurlon Tipton and Antonio Andrews. I've just been doing a lot of work on tailbacks in this draft and I couldn't agree more. Tipton looks like he could be the very best of the class because he's so physically blessed in addition to being a sudden, instinctive runner. And he also blocks, which is a nice bonus. Antonio Andrews to me was trained under Willie Taggart who was himself an excellent RBs Coach and knows what he's looking for in a tailback, and everything about what he does screams pro level instincts and north-south ability. Plus when you really superimpose these guys' tape up against one another, I believe Andrews is moving at a really high pace. These two tailbacks are two of the very best in the class but they're not going to be recognized next to guys like Silas Redd, Ladarius Perkins and Damien Williams for now, because of where they play.

However, it's hard for me to fathom how QB Tyler Russell isn't even on your list. I just don't agree with that.

Tyler Russell is going to have to earn his way back into tier 3, because that's as high as he can climb. I like the football IQ and competitiveness of the quarterbacks I listed better. It's really that simple.

There's a reason why State went 1-5 down the stretch to end the season, and it started with Russell. He looks like a quality mid-round quarterback some of the time... some of the time he looks like he doesn't belong as a starter in a BCS conference. I think his accuracy needs work. Most of all, I don't trust his football IQ. I don't think he's a student of the game. Quarterbacks who prepare don't play the way I've seen him play.

Russell is certainly more of a prototypical quarterback prospect than a kid like Tyler Tettleton, for example.... but at this point I like the little things Tettleton does better despite the size advantage Tyler Russell has.

Well I may not change your mind on Tyler Russell but at least I see you've now got Aaron Donald in Tier 1.

Well I may not change your mind on Tyler Russell but at least I see you've now got Aaron Donald in Tier 1.

He was always going to be in Tier 1 in terms of the Senior class of DT's in this draft.

If you look at the competition, most of the Senior class of DT's are short anyway. The few that have more prototypical size (Hageman and Coleman) don't produce the way Donald does. Hageman has weaknesses that he needs to shore up in his run defense. If he shows me that this year, he'll push some of the others down.

When I look at Sutton, Donald, Derrick Hopkins, and Khyri Thornton.... which are 4 of the better DT's in the Senior class in my opinion.... Thornton is the only one that's even 6'1"+ It's a short class of defensive tackles.

Also, keep in mind that Tier 1 here I have graded as 2nd/3rd round picks. The gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is pretty small here on my board, and Nix won't play DT in the NFL. This hurts his grade more than anything else. Like I said, I'll bet anything you're willing to wager that he's as talented as Aaron Donald as far as that goes.

In other words, you didn't change my mind on Aaron Donald either. He's a kid that's been on my underrated underclassman thread since he finished his sophomore season.

This is worth noting. Brandon Mitchell has chosen his destination for transfer. He's transferring to North Carolina State.

The coaching staff there are the guys that coached Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch, both of whom hurt defenses with their feet as much as with their arm. NC State has been going hard after guys that can run and throw, and potentially play right away in 2013. They made a hard push for Asiantii Woulard when he de-committed from USF (for the second time) after Skip Holtz was fired. They secured the transfer of Gators backup and dual threat player Jacoby Brissett who has to sit out 2013. When Tyler Ferguson edged out Steven Bench at Penn State in the spring, which prompted Bill O'Brien to announce that the official QB competition would be between Ferguson and freshman Christian Hackenberg (once Hackenberg reports), Steven Bench announced his intention to transfer and NC State was one of the first teams to come calling. Bench is another guy who knows how to run and throw on the run. When Brandon Mitchell announced his intentions to transfer after coaches refused to declare a starter during spring, again NC State was the first one to come after him. This is the kind of player they want. All they have is Colorado State transfer Pete Thomas, and that's not the kind of player they want. I also think there's a fair chance Mitchell is flat out better than Thomas. Looks to me like Mitchell will be the bridge to Jacoby Brissett who will compete to be the future there.

I look forward to seeing Mitchell play at NC State for a number of reasons. First off, I don't think he's run his course at QB yet. I don't think that position is totally out of the question at all. This will be his chance to finally prove it, if he can. He's extremely raw but the physical gifts are there, more so than they were for B.J. Daniels who was drafted by San Francisco in the 7th round. He's 6'4" and 239 lbs (the weight figure is a number he himself quoted a week or so ago), and he runs in the 4.5's, has a strong and fairly accurate arm (no the refinements such as consistent ball placement are not there but that doesn't mean he's scatter shot by any means), and his execution and timing as a quarterback are not as poor as people think. This is an offense that will be tailor made for his skill set, and it's a skill set certain teams in the NFL are really looking for because it's being popularized by the likes of Newton, Kaepernick, Griffin and Wilson. Alex Smith will also be running some of that stuff and now the Dolphins want to get their chips in the game with Ryan Tannehill the former wide receiver. If Jake Locker ever pans out he's another guy that will hurt with his legs as much as his arm, and Christian Ponder has that potential as well. As does Andrew Luck, who already ran for 300 yards and 5 TDs in 2012. Aaron Rodgers has been hurting teams with his legs for years. This is the way teams are going and with the pure combination of abilities, if Brandon Mitchell puts together the right season he could be looking at a mid to late draft pick even as a quarterback. If guys like B.J. Daniels, Tyrod Taylor, Josh Johnson, Tyler Thigpen, Dennis Dixon and Joe Webb can get looks, there's no reason Brandon Mitchell can't.

But this is a positive for him even as a wide receiver prospect. Had he stayed at Arkansas and moved back to the position again, he'd have once again been perhaps the 3rd or 4th wide receiver option on the team. Even though the coach brought it up in conversations with Mitchell, Arkansas wasn't ready to move him back to WR yet. They were going to have him compete through the summer for the QB job, though the situation was obviously looking grim hence the transfer. That means he'd have been another late switch to receiver and he wouldn't have been a starter. Last year he had 17 catches. The #2 WR on Wisconsin this year got 27 catches, and that was Jacob Pederson the tight end. The #3 option got 17 catches. If Mitchell was the #3 option again, he gets another 20 film looks of him with the football in his hands, and maybe 10 or 12 of those film reps would be out in space where he can do something to show what kind of run after catch player he can be. What good is that few reps going to do his draft stock as a receiver? Not much.

Last year, Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois carried the football 294 times and threw another 394 passes. The year before, Chandler Harnish threw 384 passes and had 194 runs. This will be an infinitely better opportunity for Brandon Mitchell to increase his draft stock even as a wide receiver or tight end prospect. You will have upwards of 600 film reps of him with the football in his hands, seeing the field, showing his field awareness, making defenders miss, running for yardage, showing how quickly he thinks, how elusive he is, how fast and big and strong and physical he is, etc. I'll take that any day over another 20 catches where MIGHT get the chance to make an impressive play on maybe 10 or 12 of them.

It'll be interesting to see if he can unseat Pete Thomas as the starter. Thomas made tier 3 of my underclassman quarterbacks based off his film at Colorado St. There's still a lot of upside there.

Mitchell might be more of what they're looking for to run that particular offense. I watched N.C. State's spring game and while Thomas looked decent, the offense struggled with the no-huddle and extremely fast tempo that the coaches are trying to install.

That particular aspect might not get much help from Mitchell if it's true that the primary reason he was still behind in the battle at Arkansas was his not mastering the offense. But then, we don't know if that's really what it was.

I would definitely think the coaching staff that made Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch their own team's leading rushers in addition to leading passers...would steer toward the dual threat Mitchell over Pete Thomas. Between Asiantii Woulard, Jacoby Brissett, Steven Bench and Brandon Mitchell...it's pretty clear what they're going for. Even though Bench is not a guy that is athletic enough for a position switch like Woulard, Brissett or Mitchell, he's still like a Chandler Harnish in terms of his ability to run and throw on the run. It's what stands out about him the most.

Surprising transfer. He's a redshirt senior so I'm guessing he has graduated & will eligible to play wherever he decides to transfer too. Just me trying to place him but UCLA has a gaping hole at RB left by Johnathan Franklin's departure & Sims' skill set would seem to fit a need there.

Houston senior RB Charles Sims will transfer, according to Rob Sellers of Rivals.
Sims is an extremely talented runner and was poised for a great final season, so this news comes as a surprise. He led Houston with 851 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns to go along with 37 receptions for 373 yards and three touchdowns. Sims will certainly have plenty of options in terms of landing spots.

Surprising transfer. He's a redshirt senior so I'm guessing he has graduated & will eligible to play wherever he decides to transfer too. Just me trying to place him but UCLA has a gaping hole at RB left by Johnathan Franklin's departure & Sims' skill set would seem to fit a need there.

Houston senior RB Charles Sims will transfer, according to Rob Sellers of Rivals.
Sims is an extremely talented runner and was poised for a great final season, so this news comes as a surprise. He led Houston with 851 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns to go along with 37 receptions for 373 yards and three touchdowns. Sims will certainly have plenty of options in terms of landing spots.

Fairly strange development for Sims to be transferring out of the Houston program. I'd be interested in determining exactly why he feels the need to transfer.

Either way, he's going to help whatever program he finds himself in. Probably a lot.

I think he's the best pass catcher out of the backfield among the Senior class of RB's. I've always thought this kid could line up at receiver and produce. He has a similar profile all the way around as a back like DeMarco Murray. Always reminded me of Murray.

Reminded me on film of a cross between Murray and Bush.

There's talk of him entering the Supplemental Draft.

Rams, Jets, or Colts?

The issues with Goodson on the Jets are a little overblown, or at least the headline shock is worse than its real value. It's nothing new to either the Jets or John Idzik. The Jets selected Kenrick Ellis knowing he had an even more serious legal issue hanging over his head and may actually be deported. John Idzik came from Seattle where they took chances on all kinds of guys with legal issues or off field character concerns. Because of the experience with this type of thing all the way around, you can count on the Jets to get their arms wrapped around the REAL implications of it and not end up reacting irrationally out of fear. So I wouldn't expect the Jets to trip over themselves trying to grab whatever tailback suddenly comes available in the Supplemental Draft.

Mike Goodson was out partying with his cousin's fiancee, who drove his own car, which happened to have a loaded gun locked in the glove box. Presumably the gun belongs to the cousin's fiancee since it was his car and all. It wasn't Goodson's gun and he wasn't driving. The worst you can say about Goodson is he had marijuana paraphernalia on him which had a small amount of marijuana in it. To my knowledge, New York isn't even arresting for that anymore. They're just handing out tickets. The marijuana presence will get Goodson in the NFL's substance abuse program but won't carry a fine or suspension for first offense.

As for the Colts, it does baffle me a little bit why everyone picks on Donald Brown and Vick Ballard. Mind you I wasn't a huge fan of Donald's when he came out but he did show in 2011 what he's capable of by averaging 4.8 yards per carry. And Ballard I thought was pretty genuinely good. Both players played behind a poor line. For whatever this is worth PFF rated their run blocking 24th in the league. And their pass blocking was one of the very worst in the NFL. Anthony Castonzo is the only guy on that line that can play. They need a lot better. I mean if you look at PFF's "Elusive Rating" which is just a mathematical treatment that accounts for missed tackles created by the runner, and the yards after contact created by the runner, on a per carry basis...Vick Ballard ranked #8 of 24, amongst RBs with 50% of their team's carries. I'm not trying to pick on you, I see the Colts' RB unit denigrated a lot, but while I have my doubts on Donald Brown he's still no Daniel Thomas, and Vick Ballard is genuinely good. I also think there's still meat on the bone for Delone Carter, too.

So I guess the SHORT answer to your question is....the Rams. I thought Daryl Richardson was surprisingly good last year, but that's surprisingly good in the DuJuan Harris way, not the Vick Ballard way. Isaiah Pead, whom I liked coming out as a return man and potential 3rd down guy, gave them nothing. They drafted Zac Stacy real low. They could certainly use insurance against Pead and Stacy.

South Florida's Sterling Griffin is going to transfer, it looks like. He graduated and he is potentially looking to move over to Louisiana Tech to be re-united with Skip Holtz. I mention it here because Slimm has Griffin amongst his top 9 senior wide receivers, in Tier 2.

Griffin's departure is significant but as a South Florida season ticket holder I like that it should open the way for Andre Davis, Sean Price and DaVario Montgomery to get more work. I think those three have more NFL potential.

Back
Top Bottom