Slimm's 2014 Seniors | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2014 Seniors

The issues with Goodson on the Jets are a little overblown, or at least the headline shock is worse than its real value. It's nothing new to either the Jets or John Idzik. The Jets selected Kenrick Ellis knowing he had an even more serious legal issue hanging over his head and may actually be deported. John Idzik came from Seattle where they took chances on all kinds of guys with legal issues or off field character concerns. Because of the experience with this type of thing all the way around, you can count on the Jets to get their arms wrapped around the REAL implications of it and not end up reacting irrationally out of fear. So I wouldn't expect the Jets to trip over themselves trying to grab whatever tailback suddenly comes available in the Supplemental Draft.

Mike Goodson was out partying with his cousin's fiancee, who drove his own car, which happened to have a loaded gun locked in the glove box. Presumably the gun belongs to the cousin's fiancee since it was his car and all. It wasn't Goodson's gun and he wasn't driving. The worst you can say about Goodson is he had marijuana paraphernalia on him which had a small amount of marijuana in it. To my knowledge, New York isn't even arresting for that anymore. They're just handing out tickets. The marijuana presence will get Goodson in the NFL's substance abuse program but won't carry a fine or suspension for first offense.

As for the Colts, it does baffle me a little bit why everyone picks on Donald Brown and Vick Ballard. Mind you I wasn't a huge fan of Donald's when he came out but he did show in 2011 what he's capable of by averaging 4.8 yards per carry. And Ballard I thought was pretty genuinely good. Both players played behind a poor line. For whatever this is worth PFF rated their run blocking 24th in the league. And their pass blocking was one of the very worst in the NFL. Anthony Castonzo is the only guy on that line that can play. They need a lot better. I mean if you look at PFF's "Elusive Rating" which is just a mathematical treatment that accounts for missed tackles created by the runner, and the yards after contact created by the runner, on a per carry basis...Vick Ballard ranked #8 of 24, amongst RBs with 50% of their team's carries. I'm not trying to pick on you, I see the Colts' RB unit denigrated a lot, but while I have my doubts on Donald Brown he's still no Daniel Thomas, and Vick Ballard is genuinely good. I also think there's still meat on the bone for Delone Carter, too.

So I guess the SHORT answer to your question is....the Rams. I thought Daryl Richardson was surprisingly good last year, but that's surprisingly good in the DuJuan Harris way, not the Vick Ballard way. Isaiah Pead, whom I liked coming out as a return man and potential 3rd down guy, gave them nothing. They drafted Zac Stacy real low. They could certainly use insurance against Pead and Stacy.

I might be too high on Stacy, but I think before year's end, he'll be the main guy in that backfield. I was hoping we'd give him a look.

Mississippi St's offense looks much more formidable with Dak Prescott as opposed to Tyler Russell.

Russell began the season against Oklahoma St. the same way he ended it last year against Northwestern in the Gator Bowl.... inaccurate, and throwing some of the worst INT's a quarterback can throw. They're just bad interceptions. Now he has concussion issues to worry about on top of his inability to lead an effective offense.

On a side note, this kid pulling the trigger for Eastern Illinois does a lot of things that I like. Jimmy Garoppolo will be making an appearance among my Senior QB prospects when I can get around to making a mid-season revision.

Been studying Jeff Janis for small school Saginaw Valley St. Big receiver with tremendous speed. Dominates at that level....doesn't belong there.

At 6'3", 218 pounds with 4.45 speed, looks a lot like Jordy Nelson did coming out of Kansas St. I'd like to see him in a Senior Bowl setting. Should get the opportunity....deserves it.

Offensive Tackle:

Tier 1

Jake Matthews - Texas A&M

Cornelius Lucas - Kansas St.

Taylor Lewan - Michigan

Seantrel Henderson - Miami

James Hurst - North Carolina

Rob Crisp - N.C. State

Tier 2

Wesley Johnson - Vanderbilt (guard)

Andrew Rodriguez - Nebraska

Morgan Moses - Virginia

Jeremiah Sirles - Nebraska

JaWuan James - Tennessee

Tier 3

Emmanuel McCray - Ole Miss (guard)

Jack Mewhort - Ohio St.

Kenarious Gates - Georgia (guard)

Zack Martin - Notre Dame (guard)

Brandon Thomas - Clemson (guard)

Austin Wentworth - Fresno St. (guard)

Tier 4

Davonte Wallace - New Mexico St. (guard)

Billy Turner - North Dakota St. (guard)

Bryce Quigley - San Diego St. (guard)

John Fullington - Washington St. (guard)

Could you give me your evaluation on Billy Turner? He really impressed me when I watched him, has good feet for a big man based on my limited exposure to him.

Could you give me your evaluation on Billy Turner? He really impressed me when I watched him, has good feet for a big man based on my limited exposure to him.

Really like Turner. He makes it look too easy against FCS competition. I'd like to see him tested snap after snap against top competition in a Senior Bowl setting to really see what he needs to work on. The natural ability is there in spades.

He reminds of a lot of Ryan Clady, who I had above Jake Long as the top tackle in '08.

It's hard for me to lock him in without seeing what his weakness is yet....because he doesn't have one to me on tape. Which I know is a lie... I need to see his weakness in order to grade him properly. I won't see that unless it's in an All-Star setting. Right now I think he's worth a shot in the middle rounds.

A year ago CB Mohhamed Seisay was hot in Memphis, now after playing at Nebraska he may not even get a chance in the NFL. Wild stuff! Did he spit on a scout or something?

Whats wrong with the RB from Boston College?

The concerns with Andre Williams are that he's never been a full time starter until this year. He's never even rushed for 600 yards until this year. He's never averaged 5 yards per carry until this year. He split carries with Rolandan Finch his entire career, until Finch transferred to Norfolk St. prior to this season.

Williams doesn't really fit a zone attack. If you watch what BC does in the running game with Williams, he's best in a power based attack where you're pulling lineman. However, he's not nearly as powerful as he should be given his size. Never has been. He's a big back that runs small on contact.... a lot like Daniel Thomas. There's smaller backs that run with more power and tackle breaking ability. He's never started and played a full schedule, questions about durability remain.

He reminds me a little of a Correll Buckhalter type back coming out of Nebraska. I don't think he's going to be a better pro than college player because he's not a physical back despite his size. Backs his size should run like Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill. I'd give Williams a late 4th/early 5th round grade, and a potential fit for an offense that features more pulls and traps as opposed to IZ or OZ. His footwork has always been really inefficient until this year. I don't think his running style fits his body type. Offers nothing in the passing game as a receiver out of the backfield.

The concerns with Andre Williams are that he's never been a full time starter until this year. He's never even rushed for 600 yards until this year. He's never averaged 5 yards per carry until this year. He split carries with Rolandan Finch his entire career, until Finch transferred to Norfolk St. prior to this season.

Williams doesn't really fit a zone attack. If you watch what BC does in the running game with Williams, he's best in a power based attack where you're pulling lineman. However, he's not nearly as powerful as he should be given his size. Never has been. He's a big back that runs small on contact.... a lot like Daniel Thomas. There's smaller backs that run with more power and tackle breaking ability. He's never started and played a full schedule, questions about durability remain.

He reminds me a little of a Correll Buckhalter type back coming out of Nebraska. I don't think he's going to be a better pro than college player because he's not a physical back despite his size. Backs his size should run like Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill. I'd give Williams a late 4th/early 5th round grade, and a potential fit for an offense that features more pulls and traps as opposed to IZ or OZ. His footwork has always been really inefficient until this year. I don't think his running style fits his body type. Offers nothing in the passing game as a receiver out of the backfield.

good stuff. thanks slim.

my next question is about the mammoth DT from Tennessee. At 377 lbs. is it a risk? weight probs or does he wear it well like the Patriots DT?

I'll add to this.

Tennessee Volunteers - OT JaWuan James (#70)
Listed at 6'6" and 324 lbs

Reminds me of Vernon Carey or Orlando Franklin. Very heavy-boned, solid, technically sound and smooth. Powerful, engulfs even big players. Made Devin Taylor look undraftable, which was something All Star players at the Shrine Game couldn't do, nor Cornell Green of Florida. He's started 37 games at right tackle. Don't know if he'll move to left tackle in place of departing Dallas Thomas, but I think he ought to give it a try. Could pay off.

Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom