Slimm's 2014 Underclassman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2014 Underclassman

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
This is a thread for future reference in terms of 2014 where I'll be posting some underclassman that I've scouted. It's early, but I was bored with the 2013 class a while back subsequent of the feeling that I pretty much had it figured out by December.

First up is Tennessee linebacker A.J. Johnson:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 240

AJ_Johnson_t618-1.jpg

We recruited this kid heavily to Alabama, (Kirby Smart) but lost him as a Junior when he committed to Tennessee. Earned several Freshman All-American honors during his first season on campus in 2011. In 2012, not only did he lead the SEC in tackles as a sophomore with 138 total stops, he also led the Vols defense in TFL's and QB hurries. But that's not all...

He also led Tennessee's offense in rushing TD's, scoring 6 TD's on the ground as the triggerman in Tennessee's Wildcat package. This kid is a fabulous pure athlete with explosive movement skills, to go with outstanding range and instincts at the linebacker position. Probably the best linebacker I've seen in Knoxville since Al Wilson.

Johnson is just scratching the surface of his potential as a top notch defender in the SEC, as he was still in the process of learning a new defense as the Vols attempted to make the transition to an odd front last year under Sal Sunseri... who called him the best linebacker he's ever coached. That's a strong compliment coming from a guy who coached linebackers at Alabama under Saban.

Last edited by a moderator:
moves like alec ogletree but with more polish and instincts for a lb at this stage...aj johnsons a terrific looking lb prospect and athlete

Kennard Backman / TE / UAB

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 255

imagesqtbnANd9GcR2Qji1v7l0B8Ww_hySWS29ho-1.jpg

Local kid who I've seen a lot of at UAB. Extremely athletic tight end that's as well put together physically as any TE in the country, already... and he was only a sophomore. Outstanding basketball player who has the size/athleticism combination of a power forward that tend to make up the best TE prospects. Intelligent kid who excels in the classroom. At 255 pounds, has 4.6 speed. I think he'll be one of the best players in C-USA this coming season, and still getting better. Works at his craft and appears motivated to improve his blocking in order to become a complete package.

Adam Muema / RB / San Diego St.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 208

imagesqtbnANd9GcTzoETGu9wu5GZz3SSIG5OjGE-1.jpg

Compact, solidly built back with the low center of gravity and tackle breaking ability that always appeals to me. Muema displays what I like to refer to as "mature" running traits, especially for a kid that's only a sophomore. Took over carrying the load for Ronnie Hillman after he declared early for the 2012 draft. Muema is a little better prospect in my opinion. Very patient runner that uses excellent balance to stop and accelerate the way few can. Extremely quick and shifty with an explosive short area burst. Tough and rugged runner that knows how to run between the tackles.

Rushed for over 1,450 yards and 16 TD's during his first season as the featured back for the Aztecs...averaging over 6.1 yards/carry. Probably has 4.58 - 4.62 speed, which is plenty for a back with his running skills. This is the type of back who can come in and make an immediate impact and produce fairly soon at the next level.

Reminds me of Terry Allen when he came out of Clemson in 1990.

Malcolm Mitchell / WR-CB / Georgia

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190

20121201_ajw_sa2_0470_standard_7300-1.jpg

Extremely versatile and unselfish player. Started the first 4 games last year at CB because of all the suspensions in UGA's secondary... started the last 9 games at WR, where he nearly led the team in receptions. I believe his future in the NFL will be at the receiver position. Hauled in 45 catches, for 665 yards, and 4 TD's as a freshman in the SEC. If he's able to stay out of defensive meetings and focus his attention on developing his route running, he'll become a dominant offensive weapon with his ability to stretch the field and get behind secondaries.

Donte Moncrief / WR / Ole Miss

Weight: 214

355291_t607JPG-1.jpg

Big, physical, fast receiver that set Ole Miss freshman records for receptions in a single season in 2011. Tied the school record for receiving TD's in a season last year as a sophomore with 10 TD's.

Tied another school record with 3 receiving TD's in the Egg Bowl last year against Mississippi St., on his way to totaling 173 receiving yards in that matchup. The significance of this performance was that he forced the Mississippi St. coaching staff to take Johnthan Banks off of him and try their hand with Darius Slay....both of these corners will be playing in the NFL come September. Neither could matchup with Moncrief. Dee Milliner had his own struggles at times matched up with Moncrief.

The list goes on.....Carrington Byndon, Quandre Diggs, Deshazor Everett, Tharold Simon, Sanders Commings.... he's gotten the better of all of 'em.

Goes up and attacks the ball at its highest point and comes down with it in jump ball situations. Outstanding downfield blocker. Still developing as a route runner, but few can match his talent. Has abilities similar to what Dez Bryant had at Oklahoma St.

Ryan Shazier / LB / Ohio St.

Weight: 230

hires136484682_crop_exactjpgw650h440q75-1.jpg

Finished second in the Big-10 with 115 tackles. Led the conference with 17 TFL's, in addition to defending 12 passes, forcing 3 fumbles, and returning an INT for a touchdown.

Has speed in the 4.4 range at 6'2", 230 pounds. Can dominate the game for series at a time. I watched him have a sack and return an INT for a touchdown on back-to-back plays against Penn St. on their opening drive of the 3rd quarter to begin the second half of the game.

Forced a Montee Ball fumble on the goaline vs. Wisconsin that helped the Buckeyes go on to win that game 21-14. Instinctive playmaker on defense that utilizes his gifts and athleticism to track down ball carriers and make game changing plays. Originally a Florida commit that Coach Meyer was able to flip to Ohio St. We recruited him hard to Alabama also.

Looks like he has the makings of a top-10 pick as a weakside linebacker as he keeps progressing. A prototypical SEC linebacker that managed to slip off to the Big-10 via Urban Meyer's high school connections in the state of Florida.

Allen Robinson / WR / Penn St.

Weight: 208

11602415small-1.jpg

Robinson caught my eye as a true freshman in 2011 when he caught the first pass of his career against Alabama. He was already advanced in terms of physical development for a true freshman. He would earn a starting WR position in the spring of his sophomore season, and proceeded to catch 77 passes for over 1,000 yards, and 11 TD's.

Following the transfers of top offensive weapons Silas Redd and Justin Brown to other schools, Robinson stepped up as a leader and playmaker for a Penn St. team that desperately needed one amidst a storm of controversy and sanctions surrounding the program off the field. Not to mention coaching and system changes on the field.

I'd be surprised if he came out early in 2014, but anything is possible with these kids.

any iowa hawkeye or fellow canes making this years list slimm?

love your insight... thanks for contributing.

Good calls on Shazier and Robinson. Being in Big Ten country, I got a good look at both, and they are impressive. Shazier is very active and one of those guys that is seemingly everywhere.

Robinson as you pointed out is an impressive physical specimen. He will be interesting to watch next year to see how much he develops. I really like how he attacks the ball. He won alot of battles with his size, but he can certainly develop his skills more.

Marlin Lane / RB / Tennessee

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 210

620121103115239001_t607JPG-1.jpg

I felt like Marlin Lane was the best back the Vols had last year, despite only having 120 carries while splitting time with Rajion Neal. However, Lane did lead the backs in receptions out of the backfield with 29 catches.

I'm a firm believer that Tennessee's running game would've been better with Lane leading the way. He doesn't hesitate and hits the hole hard, and will break arm tackles with a more physical and determined running style than the aforementioned Neal. Hard runner that's still improving as a player. The Tennessee coaching staff were able to determine this as well, as Lane earned the starting job for the last 6 games of the season.

I suspect Vol fans will see a lot more of Lane coming downhill off the hip of guard Zach Fulton in 2013.

Jahwan Edwards / RB / Ball St.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 225

110612JahwanEdwardsSWPI_2012110700311451-1.jpg

Yet another MAC running back. A 5'9", 225 pound rolling ball of butcher knives that rushed for over 1,400 yards and 14 TD's as a sophomore. Doesn't have elite top end speed, but a powerful inside runner capable of breaking long runs in the MAC. Edwards was the key ingredient in Ball St.'s 5 or 6 upsets last season.

Back
Top Bottom