Slimm's 2015 Cornerbacks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Cornerbacks

He and the new coaching staff haven't been able to see eye to eye since Chris Peterson got there after coming over from Boise St. I think Coach Peterson has dismissed several players since he got there.

Either way, Peters is the most talented CB in the draft and he'll go high. I don't know what the specifics are between he and the coaching staff, but if I need a cornerback, this is the first kid I'm taking.

What if he isn't coachable?

What if he isn't coachable?

That's something teams will have to figure out for themselves. From a talent perspective, he's the best in the business. I've known that since I created this thread back in the summer.

That's something teams will have to figure out for themselves. From a talent perspective, he's the best in the business. I've known that since I created this thread back in the summer.

Perfect skill set for Coyle's D too - can play off or tight, super quick, competes for the ball, tackles. He does a lot of the things I see Grimes doing for Miami, but he's a good deal bigger than Grimes. Very savvy, plays screens well - has 3 INT's, 7 PBU's, and 4 TFL. Yeah, unless his character concerns cause him to drop, I don't see him being there when Miami drafts, but I'd be glad to take him. Ideally, I'd spend the 1st on a position other than CB. Coyle excels at recycling old CB's, so I'd prefer to continue addressing the position that way (given its current success). But if Peters is there when Miami is picking, he's going to be about as good as - if not better than - any player available.

Slimm or CK, have either of you seen the D'Joun Smith kid out of FAU?

Yes I've taken a bit of a look at him and I think he's a very good corner. It's going to come down to how fast he is because I don't know that he's really fast enough for what the NFL wants nowadays.

Marshall went after him when they played and he got some tough calls against him by the officials. Could've gone either way. But the thing I did notice is that when Devon Johnson had fresh legs early in the game before he suffered a hamstring injury, you put those two into a track meet with each one running all-out, D'Joun Smith was not gaining ground on Devon Johnson. You look at that two ways. One, good on Devon Johnson and it shows he might be a better prospect than people believe. Two, bad on D'Joun Smith who is a CORNER and can't gain ground on a completely under-the-radar 6'1" & 250 lbs tight end converted to tailback who could be evaluated as a fullback at the next level.

He's a very solid all-around football player that happens to be playing corner. But again I have to go back to whether he can be trusted covering guys like Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, A.J. Green, etc. That's the way I would evaluate him. You're going to find a spot for him, but where? Nickel defense? Covered up in a Cover Two like a Leonard Johnson or a Josh Norman? Or perhaps moved to safety.

I know Dane Brugler at CBS Sports is very high on him but I think he has him rated too high.

I compare him with a guy like a Darryl Roberts of Marshall and what I see in a Roberts is a guy who may well be purely faster than D'Joun, is more aggressive, has easier movement skills, etc. And between Richard Leonard of FIU or D'Joun Smith of FAU, I'm not sure Leonard isn't better.

Here's a play that could show you some of the weakness I'm talking about with D'Joun Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwy3_IzmEE&feature=player_detailpage#t=881

This is a freshman Deon'Tay McManus who actually was a TIGHT END for the team initially because he's 6'2" & 227 lbs. Now, he was a genuinely good recruit that had offers from some pretty big schools. And of course, Rakeem Cato throws a dime here. But is McManus really a 4.40 speedster or anything like that? As a freshman I'd say pretty doubtful on that. I don't know what he'll end up, because he really does have remarkable potential, but right now I doubt he's a 4.40 guy at 6'2" & 227 lbs.

D'Joun Smith just can't run with McManus here. He didn't get a great initial jam but all he's got to do is run with the guy, look up and defend the ball. But he's pressing so hard just to keep up with the freshman tight end, that he can't defend this ball.

He's gonna see size/speed profiles better than this at the NFL level and they're going to be a lot more savvy, too. So that's the concern.

Here's another example of those two duking it out and again I think McManus wins this even though the ball isn't thrown to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwy3_IzmEE&feature=player_detailpage#t=936

Donald Celiscar of WMU is impressing me, from what I can find of him. Very smooth athletically and has terrific timing in his transition and his jump. Classy looking guy who will probably jump out in testing and drills.

There's a noticeable competitive, mean streak to him also. He wants it.

Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami of Ohio is the best CB in the draft.
That is all.

That kid is becoming pretty damn popular. Reminds me of D.J. Hayden.

Anyway, it sounds like Ifo Ekpre-Olomu just tore his ACL in practice. I'm gutted for him. That's a damn tough break as he's preparing to try and win a championship then make his dreams come true in the draft.

Yep, go back to the top of page 4 in this thread. I mentioned back at the beginning of October that this kid was a deep sleeper....but wouldn't be for long.

Go check out Quinten on Twitter. He's a humble dude who is also a class act. From a character standpoint he might be one of the safest picks in the draft. He's going to do some wild stuff at the combine. He's also from my home town BTW.

As I've said before, Marcus Peters is easily the most talented CB in this draft. Nobody really knows what to believe as far as the issues that got him removed from the team. Coaches deny that Peters is guilty of what he was accused of. Furthermore, you have more rumors about other top defensive prospects virtually being involved in the same type thing. He apparently has a tight bond with Marshawn Lynch also.

However, what you can believe with certainty is what you see on tape with this kid.

A longtime NFC scout recently revealed that Marcus Peters is the best cover corner prospect he's seen in 14 years..... since Champ Bailey. I've never quite thought of it that way, but that's pretty strong conviction.

The point is, there's been a lot of rift between the players and the new coaching staff with Chris Peterson up in Washington. Nobody denies that on either side, but Peters choking a coach has been flat out denied as nonsense by the defensive coach. The bottom line is, if his relationship with Marshawn Lynch is the biggest thing teams have to worry about when all this smoke clears, Peters is easily worth a top 10 pick.

Teams will certainly do their part to get to the bottom of what happened and why. They'll want to know. This kid is way too good, and the CB position is way too important. He was always one of my 2 or 3 favorite prospects in terms of talent in this draft.... he's that talented. If one team likes him as much as I do... he won't last long on draft day.

There's definitely a wild streak about Peters, on field as well. He's a pretty pumped up kid a lot of the time. There's a sense of him teetering on the brink of self-control at times, I find. Talent is legit and when you think of some of the top corners in the NFL, a lot of them seem to fall in the catch-all "character concern" bracket for one reason or another.

I've no issue with Peters' character per se, but the main thing is we've got a HC who knows exactly how to handle... what? Oh.

Slimm, your boy Bobby McCain had a great week of practice and judging by the game yesterday, I could tell why you like him. He has got some quickness to him. Do you like him as a nickel corner? Would you say he's a 4th/5th round pick?

Slimm, your boy Bobby McCain had a great week of practice and judging by the game yesterday, I could tell why you like him. He has got some quickness to him. Do you like him as a nickel corner? Would you say he's a 4th/5th round pick?

I have a 3rd round grade on McCain and I like him in that range. I think he has the potential to be a starter at some point in the NFL, but yes at minimum a slot corner in a top notch secondary. I've always felt like Alterraun Verner was a good comparison for McCain. I need to see what he runs at the combine to solidify my 3rd round grade.

Back
Top Bottom