Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T)

The left side of Florida St's offensive line has gone from looking like one of the best in the country last year, to one of the most overrated this year.

Cameron Erving is a 3rd/4th rounder. Josue Matias really struggles in pass protection. He's slow and completely whiffs on blocks regularly. Struggles with quickness. Plays off balance a lot. He's best going straight ahead as a mauler. Has a lot of trouble with recognition..stunts, twists, etc. Beautiful frame for the LG position, but a waist bender. Dominated Aaron Donald last year in the season opener. I've waited to document this observation about him. I needed to make sure what was consistent about him and what wasn't. He's a backup at the next level.

Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley is fantastic. Best offensive lineman by far in the FSU/ND matchup. He's better than Zack Martin was.

The left side of Florida St's offensive line has gone from looking like one of the best in the country last year, to one of the most overrated this year.

Cameron Erving is a 3rd/4th rounder. Josue Matias really struggles in pass protection. He's slow and completely whiffs on blocks regularly. Struggles with quickness. Plays off balance a lot. He's best going straight ahead as a mauler. Has a lot of trouble with recognition..stunts, twists, etc. Beautiful frame for the LG position, but a waist bender. Dominated Aaron Donald last year in the season opener. I've waited to document this observation about him. I needed to make sure what was consistent about him and what wasn't. He's a backup at the next level.

Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley is fantastic. Best offensive lineman by far in the FSU/ND matchup. He's better than Zack Martin was.

As far as Erving I agree wholeheartedly. Swing tackle at best at the next level. It's the case of a great college QB making his LT look better than he is (See Luck-Martin). Although I agree with the issues about Matias, I still like him. Here are my grades thus far for guards on the scale of 1.0-8.0
Brandon Scherff Iowa 6'5 320 4.93- 7.3
La'El Collins 6'5 315 5.12 LSU- 7.2
Josue Matias 6'6 331 5.32 Florida State- 7.1
A.J. Cann 6'3 318 5.18 South Carolina- 7.0
You really like Stanley that much huh? Because I was a huge Zack Martin fan.

As far as Erving I agree wholeheartedly. Swing tackle at best at the next level. It's the case of a great college QB making his LT look better than he is (See Luck-Martin). Although I agree with the issues about Matias, I still like him. Here are my grades thus far for guards on the scale of 1.0-8.0
Brandon Scherff Iowa 6'5 320 4.93- 7.3
La'El Collins 6'5 315 5.12 LSU- 7.2
Josue Matias 6'6 331 5.32 Florida State- 7.1
A.J. Cann 6'3 318 5.18 South Carolina- 7.0
You really like Stanley that much huh? Because I was a huge Zack Martin fan.

I liked Zack Martin also... he was a great technician. However, he was obviously going to be kicked inside. He was built like a guard and had short arms.

Ronnie Stanley is more of the protoypical tackle in terms of frame and athleticism. He's much, much more athletic than Martin was and possesses long arms. Still doesn't look quite comfortable with the footwork yet on the left side after moving over from the right side...he dominates with athleticism and long arms.

Kids like Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins are going to look exceptional on the right side or kicked inside to guard. But A.J. Cann is the best I've seen among those that already play on the interior.

I liked Zack Martin also... he was a great technician. However, he was obviously going to be kicked inside. He was built like a guard and had short arms.

Ronnie Stanley is more of the protoypical tackle in terms of frame and athleticism. He's much, much more athletic than Martin was and possesses long arms. Still doesn't look quite comfortable with the footwork yet on the left side after moving over from the right side...he dominates with athleticism and long arms.

Kids like Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins are going to look exceptional on the right side or kicked inside to guard. But A.J. Cann is the best I've seen among those that already play on the interior.

I haven't studied Stanley because he's an underclassmen that I'm not so sure will declare. I agree about Scherff and Collins. I like Scherff a little more. He's a nasty SOB. As far as Matias/ Cann there isn't a huge gap between them IMO. We're gonna disagree with Matias being a backup at the next level. So let's just move on. Who are the next guards few guards after those 4? Because I don't like Kouandjio or Tre Jackson at all.

I haven't studied Stanley because he's an underclassmen that I'm not so sure will declare. I agree about Scherff and Collins. I like Scherff a little more. He's a nasty SOB. As far as Matias/ Cann there isn't a huge gap between them IMO. We're gonna disagree with Matias being a backup at the next level. So let's just move on. Who are the next guards few guards after those 4? Because I don't like Kouandjio or Tre Jackson at all.

West Virginia has two that I believe can play in Quinton Spain and Mark Glowinski. If you're looking for a guy to kick inside, Jamil Douglas who I talked about previously. Also Willie Beavers for Western Michigan if he comes out early. Junior Salt for Utah really stands out to me on tape. Cal's Jordan Rigsbee is one of the most versatile....he's played RT, LG, and C so far in his career... excellent in pass protection. Could come out early.

West Virginia has two that I believe can play in Quinton Spain and Mark Glowinski. If you're looking for a guy to kick inside, Jamil Douglas who I talked about previously. Also Willie Beavers for Western Michigan if he comes out early. Junior Salt for Utah really stands out to me on tape. Cal's Jordan Rigsbee is one of the most versatile....he's played RT, LG, and C so far in his career... excellent in pass protection. Could come out early.

I remember us discussing Douglas. That will probably be my first stop. Rigsbee is a coaches son but I wonder if he declares or not. I've also heard about Spain and Salt. I'm also gonna take a look at USC's Aundrey Walker, TXA&M's Jarvis Harrison, and Duke's Laken Tomlinson.

Arkansas has twin towers at both tackle spots with Dan Skipper (6'10") and Brey Cook (6'7") and both can play. They have the biggest offensive line in football... at any level. That offensive line is bigger than every offensive line in the NFL....they average 6'6", 325 pounds in their starting 5. This is a nasty offensive line too. They move people, beat 'em up, enforce their will and make you like it. I've watched 'em make two defenses quit already. Denver Kirkland at RG isn't draft eligible, but he'll be at the top of my guard class for next year.

Peat is a 1st rounder, although I like him and Flowers better as a guard. As far as underclassman, I grade Stanley and Drango a little higher because they're both more pure left tackles than Peat or Flowers. Peat is a physical player and I like that about him. I grade Ereck Flowers a smidge higher than Peat due to having even better physical tools and more upside. He put a lot of that on display last night in Blacksburg.

The thing most interesting about the 150 or so offensive line prospects that you see here on my board is that half of 'em are defensive line converts.

Peat is a 1st rounder, although I like him and Flowers better as a guard. As far as underclassman, I grade Stanley and Drango a little higher because they're both more pure left tackles than Peat or Flowers. Peat is a physical player and I like that about him. I grade Ereck Flowers a smidge higher than Peat due to having even better physical tools and more upside. He put a lot of that on display last night in Blacksburg.

Do you think that Stanley, Drango, and Flowers declare? Because I don't spend much time at all on underclassmen until they declare. I have graded some that are pretty much guaranteed to declare. But I don't spend much time and the only underclassmen OT I have graded is Peat.

How did you like Brandon Linder's little brother Nick last night???? He should end up at center next year, but was pressed into service this year as a true freshman due to injuries, and has excelled the last two games. The kids playing a little light at around 280-285 at LG right now. Everybody expected him t o redshirt, but we love what we are seeing out of him at such an early stage. Terrific athleticism, and surprising strength. And you always know you're getting a well coached o-lineman when you get a kid out of St. Thomas Aquinas. Obviously won't be in the draft for a couple years so I hope you don't mind me bringing him up in your draft thread.

How did you like Brandon Linder's little brother Nick last night???? He should end up at center next year, but was pressed into service this year as a true freshman due to injuries, and has excelled the last two games. The kids playing a little light at around 280-285 at LG right now. Everybody expected him t o redshirt, but we love what we are seeing out of him at such an early stage. Terrific athleticism, and surprising strength. And you always know you're getting a well coached o-lineman when you get a kid out of St. Thomas Aquinas. Obviously won't be in the draft for a couple years so I hope you don't mind me bringing him up in your draft thread.

Obviously I haven't evaluted him as a prospect but he was blowing some holes open last night. I think it's well known that I was always firm on how underrated Brandon always was. The absense of Luther Maddy in the middle of VT's defense really hurts 'em. They give up about a yard/carry and a TD/game more on the ground with him out vs. when he's in. Miami's young offensive line took full advantage of it last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slimm,

Great call on Jamil Douglas. Love him. Was concerned about him kicking outside this year, but he has shown off his feet even better than I had anticipated. His punch timing is excellent, and man can he jar an opponent with his hands. Would love to see him added to the interior. He is much better than Billy Turner, though they have similar styles in how they play.

Back
Top Bottom