Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

One of the things that was so special about Jameis Winston's 2013 season was how good he was on 3rd down. He converted 52.6% of 3rd downs on which he ran or threw the ball (including sacks). The rest of the quarterbacks range around 35% to 45%.

But perhaps most incredible is that he converted 59.4% of his 3rd & 10+ situations.

I think that is a situation where, especially nowadays when the NFL is coveting dual-threat quarterbacks, you catch a glimpse of a guy's true play-making skill at that position. Cody Fajardo is damn close to automatic on 3rd & Under-10 at 55.3%. But when he gets to 3rd & 10+, he is lost and only converted 12.5% of those situations.

But Jameis Winston could keep converting regardless of the situation. That hasn't translated yet this year as Winston is really only converting 33% of his 3rd downs, but it's a small sample size thus far so who knows what it will be by the end.

One thing I love about Rakeem Cato so much is his reliability on 3rd down. Heading into this year he converted 47% of his 3rd downs which in this quarterbacks class is second only to Jameis Winston. He also converted 34% of his 3rd & 10+ situations which again is second only to Jameis Winston. He converts 52% of his 3rd & Under-10 situations which is third behind Cody Fajardo and Chuckie Keeton.

If you average the 3rd & 10+ and 3rd & Under-10 conversion rates, basically you get Jameis Winston...some space...Rakeem Cato...some more space...then Kevin Hogan, Chuckie Keeton, Connor Cook, Shane Carden, etc.

Heading into this year Rakeem Cato had a 109.0 passer rating on 3rd & 4th down.

This year he's actually got a 114.8 passer rating on 3rd & 4th down and has converted 53.8% of his 3rd downs, including 50.0% of his 3rd & 10+ situations. He's really just getting better. I know some folks will question his 58% completion but they'll be remiss if they don't pay attention to his absurd 18.3 yards per completion, 10.6 yards per attempt, and incredibly high 3rd down conversion rate. He profiles as a guy that is pushing the football up the field because he's running a high octane offense and they're piling on the points, but when he needs to move the sticks he does so better than all but a few quarterbacks out there.

Slimm and CK,

Who were your top Quarterbacks last year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bridgewater, Bortles, Garoppolo, Manziel, Carr. In that order if I remember right. I may have stuck Carr above Manziel, whom I picked on a lot.

I had Bortles and Garoppolo #2 and #3 in the class back in October/November. That was before Bridgewater fell out of favor.

Bridgewater, Bortles, Garoppolo, Manziel, Carr. In that order if I remember right. I may have stuck Carr above Manziel, whom I picked on a lot.

I had Bortles and Garoppolo #2 and #3 in the class back in October/November. That was before Bridgewater fell out of favor.

I just really love the combination of arm talent, football instincts, and athleticism of Carr. He actually ran the same 40 as Manziel and had a 41 yard run on a zone read keeper vs Houston Sunday. He also has a QB rating of 80 right now, which is impressive considering he plays with the worst roster in football.

I understand some knocked him down because of his brother, the at times erratic play under pressure, that he didn't always throw from a balanced platform, and his deep ball accuracy. Which I didn't think was that bad. It's OK but not it's not terrible. He also improved substantially under pressure in 2013 compared to previous years.

I believe he is a franchise QB. And I think he can be every bit as good as Cutler. Regardless, his value was much better than Bortles or Manziel as far as where he was picked.

I bet Dave Caldwell wishes he had Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr instead of Blake Bortles and Marqise Lee. Then again, this is the same guy who drafted the 4th best offensive tackle in the draft at #2 overall so he could trade a top 10 LT for midround picks when he had all the money in the world to re-sign him.

I liked David Fales, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr, Garroppolo.

Liked Keith Wenning, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, Jeff Mathews and Tom Savage as developmental QB's. Didn't like Tajh Boyd, McCarron, Logan Thomas, or Connor Shaw.

Gotta say I'm actually really intrigued with Hutson Mason. He's not going to wow you with his physical ability to make plays but he gets that football out of his hands very quickly and makes excellent decisions, is very accurate, feet very in tune with his eyes. We haven't seen him really drive the football at need or make physically impressive plays but that doesn't mean he can't. Inconclusive on whether or not he's a play-maker but man does he read the field and get that ball out.

Blake Sims throws one of the best deep balls in all of football. That includes pros.

Secondly, he makes throws into tight coverage that I had no idea he could make. Neither did Lane Kiffin or Nick Saban. He's literally improving two fold everytime he takes the field from the week before. It's really something to watch. He looks nothing like the quarterback I saw in the spring. Very similar to Everett Golson's upward arc, and how he looks nothing like the quarterback from 2 years ago.

Blake Sims throws one of the best deep balls in all of football. That includes pros.

Secondly, he makes throws into tight coverage that I had no idea he could make. Neither did Lane Kiffin or Nick Saban. He's literally improving two fold everytime he takes the field from the week before. It's really something to watch. He looks nothing like the quarterback I saw in the spring. Very similar to Everett Golson's upward arc, and how he looks nothing like the quarterback from 2 years ago.

Pre-season I don't think he would have even been a camp arm. Now, he's a legit day 3 pick. I don't expect him to go much higher than that, but still. All you heard all off-season was how Coker was going to take over.

I forgot about Chuckie Keeton coming off the ACL. I'm joining the fan club.

Didn't he re-injure the same knee vs. Wake Forest? I saw he left the game with an injury.

Yes, the coaching staff is probably going to evaluate him in practice and determine if the medical RS is the best option.

Yes, the coaching staff is probably going to evaluate him in practice and determine if the medical RS is the best option.

Good backup who can win you some games at the next level. Poor man's Russell Wilson. I have a 3rd Round grade on him.

Good backup who can win you some games at the next level. Poor man's Russell Wilson. I have a 3rd Round grade on him.

Yep, I had a top 75 grade on him heading into the season. If he hadn't injured his knee and sustained the level of play that he always had, I think he could've acheived a selection in the 3rd round range. I think that's most likely out the window for him now.

If he takes a medical RS and comes back next year healthy and playing at a high level, 4th round or so is acheivable.

Back
Top Bottom