Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Bit of a unique situation going on with Rakeem Cato.

Most of these rookie quarterbacks will have to wait another three weeks before they get a chance to play some football again in the NFL preseason. Rakeem Cato has already started and played all the way through three CFL games and will have played six CFL games by the time the other rookies play their first one.

Cato wasn't drafted. He wasn't even signed as a UDFA. Teams were too scared by his size (5'11" to 6'0", 171 to 178 lbs), his offensive background at Marshall, and a perceived lack of intelligence. The Browns invited he and like 60 other undrafted players to their rookie mini camp but only signed like 2 or 3 guys and with McCown, Manziel, Connor Shaw and Thaddeus Lewis already on roster, Cato wasn't one of the few they signed (they do that as a practice, bring in tons of undrafted players for a tryout weekend and only sign a few).

Jim Popp the GM of the Montral Alouettes (who was interviewed for the Colts GM job back in 2012) invited Cato up to compete as a 4th or 5th quarterback. The Alouettes had drafted Brandon Bridge, who is Canadian-born. Jonathan Crompton was their holdover starter from a year ago who took over the team after a disastrous 1-7 start and helped lead them to an Eastern Conference Final appearance. They also had Dan LeFevour who had some skins on the wall up in the CFL as a starter. They even toyed around with Chris Bonner (another rookie from this 2015 Draft class) I believe. It was a crowded quarterback field up there.

The coach was set on Crompton and LeFevour as the 1st and 2nd string guys and he did not really put their jobs up for competition. The competition for the third spot settled between Bridge and Cato and the coach decided neither had won the job from the other so he would rotate them as the 3rd active quarterback on game day. During the very first game of the season, Crompton got injured, and then LeFevour (who was already recovering from injuries) lasted only a few plays. It was Bridge's turn as the 3rd active quarterback so he was thrust into action for the entire second half against the Ottawa Redblacks (arguably the worst team in the CFL). Bridge did alright at first but then threw a bad interception that lost the game. Heading into the next game week with both Crompton and LeFevour unable to go, the coach decided to compete Bridge and Cato on an even playing field over the next three practices by splitting their reps with the 1st string. Bridge was sure that he'd get the start. Most fans wanted him to as he'd be the first Canadian-born quarterback to start a CFL game in a decade. But on game day, Turk Schonert (who was an NFL quarterbacks coach for near two decades) insisted Rakeem Cato get the nod based on his gut feeling.

This was a bit unusual. I know most people think anyone can go up to the CFL and start but that's not really the case. There are only 10 teams up there first off, and secondly people around the CFL game seem to generally be of the belief that you have to learn the game for quite a while before you get the hang of dealing with the new rules. The main difference is the fact there are 12 men on the field on defense. There's an extra rover defensive back position which makes the reads different. You also have an extra skill player on offense, some of your offensive players can get a running head start before the snap (which actually takes some getting used to in terms of timing and running the offense) and the defensive line has to line up a yard off the ball (which makes Cameron Wake's production up there all the more absurd). There are only three downs as opposed to four downs, so you generally have to get a first down within two plays, or at least get to a 3rd & 1 situation so that you can go for it.

Throw in the offense you've got to learn under a long time pro coach like Turk Schonert, calling plays in the huddle for the first time, lining up under center, turning your back to the defense on play-action, this is a hell of a lot for a true rookie straight from college to try and absorb. Especially if you spent all of camp getting 4th string reps and only got as much as half of the 1st string reps for a total of three practices.

Oh and to add to all of that, you've got to face the defending Grey Cup champions.

Obviously the Alouettes coaches were nervous about all this. You could see it in the game planning and the play calling. They were run-heavy (whereas the CFL is not a run-oriented game). They called a lot of screens to take pressure of Rakeem Cato. Nonetheless he had a brilliant outing, one that has been dubbed by most of the CFL analysts to be among the top 10 quarterback debuts in CFL history. He garnered the CFL Player of the Week award, having beaten the defending Grey Cup champions 29-11 off a 20 of 25 for 241 yards, 3 TD and 0 INT showing.

Here is that performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghIBvDREuBk

From there obviously the other CFL teams were bound to get some tape on Cato, and especially some tape on how Schonert and the Alouettes were going to call plays in order to try and take pressure off him. So the following week, Winnipeg snagged two interceptions off Rakeem. One was a play that came straight from film study, an interception he nearly threw against Calgary turned into an interception he did throw against Winnipeg. The other was just a lack of chemistry with a receiver on a scramble drill. His chemistry with the receivers is actually remarkable considering how little time he's played with them, but the situation where you're bound to see chemistry problems most often is the scramble drill. Quarterback thinks you're zigging but the receiver is actually zagging, that sort of thing. I've seen it happen on a few plays. Aside from the two picks, Cato settled down and went 22 of 31 for 317 yards, making some big plays and losing the game by 23-25 with a blocked punt returned for a touchdown being the biggest difference in the score.

The following week he played the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and went 23 of 34 for 264 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT, also was the team's leading rusher with 4 runs for 30 yards. Here is that performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzuyKutxjA

Overall in the three games he's 2-1 as a starter, 65 of 90 for 822 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT (105.9 passer rating), adding 10 runs for 64 yards, only having taken 2 sacks.

The question really is whether this is impressive or not. I think there's a natural assumption that crappy NFL quarterbacks go up to the CFL and play well. There is definitely truth to that. I wouldn't say Jonathan Crompton played "well" last year but his team did well while he was under center. Zach Collaros is a standout up there, as is Travis Lulay. But then again other NFL washouts like Troy Smith, Cleo Lemon, Crompton, Cody Pickett, Chris Leak, Michael Bishop and Adrian McPherson have tried their hand up there and really sucked. It's a league that tends to be dominated by a handful of quarterbacks year after year, the most notable over the years being Ricky Ray, Henry Burris, Anthony Calvillo, Travis Lulay, most recently Zach Collaros. Year after year those seem to be the guys that stand out.

Personally I'd have had three main criticisms of Cato coming out of school. Anyone that knows what they're looking at could tell that he can spin the ball well, good accuracy, agile as all get-out, keeps his eyes up on the scramble, shows a real knack for finding people downfield and recognizing threats quickly, great feel for pressure in the pocket, able to improvise, etc. But the size is a big deal, even if he's never missed a game due to injury and shows an unusual skill at protecting himself on the move. His communication skills are awful and it leads to questions about his intelligence. Then there's the offense he played in at the college level which will be very different from most offenses he'd go into at the NFL level, in terms of managing a huddle and calling plays, turning his back to the defense, dropping back from under center, read-progressions, etc. All significant concerns.

But I can't help but wonder if, in only a short time making an unlikely meteoric rise through the CFL ranks (to where some analysts believe he might already be the best quarterback in the CFL), he's already done some work to counter those last two fears. If he's dumb, how in the hell did he absorb not only a new offense, new verbiage, new surrounding cast, calling plays in the huddle, but also an entirely new set of rules like facing 12-man defenses, different 1st/2nd down priorities, different play clocks, etc.? And he did it getting 4th string reps in camp and then three days of sharing 1st string reps? I mean, that's not normal.

I've said it before, this guy is an NFL player. It is absurd that the NFL believes they have 128+ quarterbacks (1st thru 4th string) that they're taking to training camp that they think are better than Rakeem Cato. In a league where Tyrod Taylor goes to the Baltimore Ravens and becomes a primary backup as a rookie and for the next four years, and then goes off to the Bills where he is arguably the favorite to end up the starter, you can't tell me Rakeem Cato isn't even a 3rd quarterback that could run your scout team during practices and give you valuable dual-threat looks.

Oh, but the Dolphins have McLeod Bethel-Thompson! (swoon)

I'm not particularly familiar with the CFL and its rules, but I know enough to know that its a completely different game from the one I've been around for over 40 years.

The size is what really hurts a kid like Cato. You're just not going to play quarterback in the NFL weighing 170 pounds. However, I also know enough about the NFL and its personnel executives to know that just because the league doesn't think you can play, doesn't mean you can't.

There's been several players that I know can play the game better than some of the players on rosters in the NFL....and they barely had more than a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Just because you're not in the NFL doesn't mean you can't play. There's a lot of players in the NFL that can't play.

It's a shame Cato has trouble putting on weight. But if someone could find a way to get him to do that, get him from 178 to around 200, that's viable. Russell Wilson isn't much bigger than that and despite whatever Aaron Rodgers is listed at (they took it from his Combine weight, a weight mark he bulked up for months to get to), he doesn't play appreciably above 205-210 (despite being taller at 6'2").

But I have a hard time even caring about the weight and build because that's all about what COULD happen. At that size he takes the wrong hit and he could get hurt. But at the moment the kid is in the CFL. He's not on a $100 million contract. You can pull him back to the NFL for the league minimum and if he ends up good enough to be a starter you can continue to underpay him for years yet. Then you can write his weight and body fat into his contract if you're so worried.

For now what's most important is whether the kid can play or not. I think his time in the CFL is instructive on that point because there has literally not been a form of football in which he's not excelled, regardless of how much the odds looked to be stacked against him. He won the state championship in high school over Teddy Bridgewater. He goes to Marshall and actually started as a 140-150 pound freshman, took them to a bowl game despite being an underdog in every game they played that year. He finishes his college career as really one of the most productive and consistent quarterbacks in FBS history. Now he goes up to Canada to a game that has different dynamics, completely different offensive system, takes 4th team reps through camp and gets thrust into the starting job after sharing 1st team reps for three days...and already people believe he might be the best QB in the CFL.

It reminds me of Gus Malzahn. You conquer every level of football that gets thrown at you eventually you start to wonder if he can make one more jump.

I know Cato is from Miamil and went to Marshall. I believe he is under contract with Montreal through the 2016 season. I have been watching some of the CFL games on tv this Summer and it looks like Cato is doing a great job, but I doubt there would be any way for Cato to get out of his contract until he becomes a free agent after the 2016 season? I am not sure there would be any way to pull him back to the NFL until then? There have been a lot of good CFL QB's over the year who have been able to make the switch to the NFL (Theismann, Flutie, Warren Moon), so Cato would be worth kicking the tires on. I agree that he needs to bulk up. You look at a guy like Drew Brees, who is around 215 pounds, even though he is probably the same height as Cato, and he is usually able to take a pretty good hit with no problems, and he also seems to throw the ball at an angle where he doesn't get too many passes swatted down. I think Cato can use his one or two years in Montreal to work on his game, and then look to move up to the NFL. I would give him in a shot in Miami.

I don't believe CFL contracts have the kind of exclusivity agreements in them that would prevent a guy being able to play in the NFL. I'm not positive on that but I don't think that's true. I think he could leave for the NFL at any point.

Just looking at this article, it seems the GM of the Rough Riders is lamenting NFL teams coming up and picking up CFL players that are still under contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-struggling-to-secure-border-from-nfl-scouts/

“I just think it’s important for our league to keep our good guys as long as we can,” Taman said, via Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun. “I mean, if they’re a free agent, they’re a free agent and they can go to the NFL or the CFL or wherever. But the trend is that the NFL is coming to get our good players. That’s the trend. That’s where this is going.”

He seems to be drawing a distinction there where they're OK with their free agents choosing the NFL or CFL but that they're running more and more into NFL teams just stealing them away while they're under contract.

The real killer IMO would be if the NFL managed to steal away a player right in the middle of the CFL season. That would cause a lot of consternation up there. Don't know if it's happened before. Right now Rakeem Cato is steering a 2-2 Montreal Alouettes team that hopes to play for the Grey Cup and has a legit chance of doing that. It would seem really bad for Cato to jump ship suddenly so that he can attend an NFL training camp next week, for example.

Cato has been honest with them from the start. In his statement upon signing his CFL contract he stated explicitly his goal is to work toward the NFL but that while he's up there he will give everything he has to helping the Alouettes win the Grey Cup. Even so, would seem pretty crappy to leave mid-year, lol.

the deal up here is that most players sign a 2 year contract, in the second year of the contract they can jump ship and head to the nfl to try and make it, if they do not make it the team that had him signed has his rights unless the contract has expired and then he becomes a free agent and go to any team he decides on. so basically most contracts are really one year deals in which the players hope they get a call to a training camp, or an nfl team signs them to a contract similar to what Cameron Wake got in Miami.

ESPN has been showing some CFL games on ESPN2 on Thursday or Friday night I can't remember which. Otherwise they're consistently showing the games on ESPN3 which you can stream off their website or via mobile device. I have the ESPN app on my Xbox 360 and that allows you to stream ESPN3 programming, so I actually get to watch the games on my television that way.

I like watching CFL games. None of the pretentiousness dripping all over the NFL and higher ranks of NCAA.

Slimm, what did you think of Siemian?

I thought he was more likely to be selling insurance than playing quarterback in the NFL. He was a 5th year senior that had only started 14 games in his entire career. Threw 27 TD's to 24 INT's. Only averaged about 7.1 YPA. Was never really durable, tore his ACL and had an injury history. There was absolutely nothing about Siemian that gave any indication he was worthy of a draft pick. I still don't see how he was selected, and this was a horrible Senior crop of quarterbacks.

Just goes to show that you never know. Being part of an organization like the Denver Broncos certainly helps. Great team and one of the best run organizations in sports. He's obviously an incredible student of the game, and a smart kid. Probably should've ended up at Harvard in the Ivy League. I think he would've had a much better college career there. Siemian actually reminds me a lot of Jay Fiedler when he was with Jacksonville, who was an Ivy League quarterback at Dartmouth and went on to have some success in the NFL. But like Fiedler, probably not a guy floundering franchises want to bring in and assume he's going to make a legitimate long term answer at the position. I don't believe he's the same quarterback outside of Denver.

Back
Top Bottom