Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Well, the jump in his completion percentage is due simply to throwing much shorter passes this year. His passes on average are traveling 3+ yards/attempt shorter this season. He still struggles a lot with down field accuracy.

His accuracy against opponents from BCS conferences last year dropped off even further to around 46%. Get him in obvious passing situations like a 3rd and 7, and it dropped even further down to around 30%.

He's throwing more arrow routes to the flat this year which is inflating his completion percentage. He's still holding the ball too long on deeper developing routes. He doesn't throw with anticipation in other words. He's completing a high percentage of his passes this season to the first thing of his own color that outflanks the defense off the zone read.

Hill is still BYU's best running back. That's why I still consider him in the athlete category. However, there are other QB's like Everett Golson that have made significantly more strides as a passer than Taysom Hill has. Golson looks so much different in the pocket now after working with George Whitfield, I can't believe I'm watching the same player from 2012. His improvement is immense. Very impressive.

Now that it sounds like I've only had criticism for Taysom Hill, let me explain why I put him here in the first place...

I absolutely love this kid's running ability. He does run with the same toughness and intensity of a legendary player like Tim Tebow. He has the ability to completely dominate any game as a runner. Nearly the size of Tebow, but faster.

He won't win the Heisman because they won't play anybody. They don't have the schedule to make him a legitimate threat for it. I don't see how anyone could have him at #2 at the moment...he's played UCONN, Texas, and Houston tonight. Mariota has already beaten Michigan St. and Gurley has dominated Clemson already. There's your top 2 as it stands in reality. And many more ranked teams to come for both.

Taysom Hill has a significant amount of developing to do as a passer. He's a mid-round prospect at best right now if you're intent on developing him as a legitimate next level signal caller in my opinion.

Had the exact same reaction watching Golson. Couldn't believe it.

Slimm, in your estimation, how many College QB to athlete conversions ever work out?

All that come to mind are Hines Ward and Antwan Randle El. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of, but in the last 10-15 years, who else has successfully made the conversion, and what do you think the success rate % is.

Matt Jones, Joe Webb, Denard Robinson are just a few failed experiments that come to mind.

Slimm, in your estimation, how many College QB to athlete conversions ever work out?

All that come to mind are Hines Ward and Antwan Randle El. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of, but in the last 10-15 years, who else has successfully made the conversion, and what do you think the success rate % is.

Matt Jones, Joe Webb, Denard Robinson are just a few failed experiments that come to mind.

Off the top of my head in the past 15 years or so Kordell Stewart, Anquan Boldin, Julian Edelman, Michael Robinson, Woodrow Dantzler, Brad Smith, MarQueis Gray, etc.

I think the success rate for converting a college athlete that's playing quarterback position to a different skill position in the NFL is not very high. The problem is that for some of these athletes playing QB in college, their only shot at having an NFL career is to move to another position. Some of them have the athletic ability and determination to make it at another position.

There's been several that failed. Even Heisman trophy winners like Eric Crouch. He didn't want to be a defensive back in the NFL bad enough to make it work. He had the physical talent. A lot of 'em do.

I think it boils down to that, and being able to move them to the right position for the transition to be successful.

Denard Robinson is a good example. I remember his entire pre draft process where the league was trying to make him a slot receiver. But that wasn't his skillset in my estimation. I said I'd make him a running back.... that's where he's at. His skillset wasn't conducive to trying to learn how to run routes and all the nuances of playing the WR position. His skillset was give him the damn ball and tell him to run with it. Do that and he's got a shot.

He's actually not that bad as a change of pace back. He's still there. He's so fast, explosive, and agile with the ball in his hands.

I would agree that it's a low percentage move. It's just a move that some of 'em are going to have to make if they want to make a living playing football. I think it takes a rare athlete that has a tremendous love for the game of football in order for it to be successful. It's hard to come in the league as an athlete and earn that job.

Off the top of my head in the past 15 years or so Kordell Stewart, Anquan Boldin, Julian Edelman, Michael Robinson, Woodrow Dantzler, Brad Smith, MarQueis Gray, etc.

I think the success rate for converting a college athlete that's playing quarterback position to a different skill position in the NFL is not very high. The problem is that for some of these athletes playing QB in college, their only shot at having an NFL career is to move to another position. Some of them have the athletic ability and determination to make it at another position.

There's been several that failed. Even Heisman trophy winners like Eric Crouch. He didn't want to be a defensive back in the NFL bad enough to make it work. He had the physical talent. A lot of 'em do.

I think it boils down to that, and being able to move them to the right position for the transition to be successful.

Denard Robinson is a good example. I remember his entire pre draft process where the league was trying to make him a slot receiver. But that wasn't his skillset in my estimation. I said I'd make him a running back.... that's where he's at. His skillset wasn't conducive to trying to learn how to run routes and all the nuances of playing the WR position. His skillset was give him the damn ball and tell him to run with it. Do that and he's got a shot.

He's actually not that bad as a change of pace back. He's still there. He's so fast, explosive, and agile with the ball in his hands.

I would agree that it's a low percentage move. It's just a move that some of 'em are going to have to make if they want to make a living playing football. I think it takes a rare athlete that has a tremendous love for the game of football in order for it to be successful. It's hard to come in the league as an athlete and earn that job.

GREAT POST! :up:

Gunner Kiel is draft eligible.. it was only 1 game but 25-37, 418 yards, 6 TDs isn't a bad opening game. I didn't see it myself, just saw some highlights.

Not sure how legit this is but I would think most teams would probably not take Winston in the first round.

IMG_27992741410345_zpsj61tnqvc-1.jpeg

If I had a nickel for every cocaine rumor regarding one of the top quarterbacks I could probably retire.

Not sure how legit this is but I would think most teams would probably not take Winston in the first round.

IMG_27992741410345_zpsj61tnqvc-1.jpeg

This guy is a "reliable source" but calls "Pots" "Potbellys" :lol2:

As an FSU grad I've never heard someone call it Potbellys.

If I had a nickel for every cocaine rumor regarding one of the top quarterbacks I could probably retire.

Well that could make him drop right, ala Marino to 26. Winston falls Miami has same scenario repeat itself 32 years later lol

Slimm do you see guys like Winston, Hundley and Mariota as legitimate top 10 talents in this draft? Just curious, I know QBs will get pushed up the boards for teams who need one, thats how it works..but thats also how you miss true elite talents in the top 10 by over drafting QBs.

Slimm do you see guys like Winston, Hundley and Mariota as legitimate top 10 talents in this draft? Just curious, I know QBs will get pushed up the boards for teams who need one, thats how it works..but thats also how you miss true elite talents in the top 10 by over drafting QBs.

Jameis Winston is the best player in college football.....has been since his first game as a RS freshman last year. Not Marcus Mariota. Not Todd Gurley. It's Jameis Winston. That's while playing baseball for FSU in the spring by the way...

Talent wise he should go #1 overall in most any draft. It doesn't get any easier than this in terms of figuring out who the top eligible player is. He's young, immature, and lacks self awareness. But when it's time to line 'em up for 60 minutes between the hashes... you want this guy pulling the trigger. No question about it. That's about all I have to say about it. He wins.

I think Mariota is a top 10 talent, but I have some questions about him on the field. Kid's athletic, runs like a deer with 4.4 speed, and spins the ball. However, he's propped up to a degree by Oregon's offense. That much is clear every year when they run into a team who can matchup like Stanford.

Hundley is the kid I believe has the most upside. He makes throws from the opposite hashmark all the way to the other side of the field into tight coverage that are just astonishing. His offensive line is atrocious, and I don't have a draftable grade on any of his skill position players. But he wins. He's a lot like Matt Ryan was at BC. Same type situation. UCLA would be unranked and a bottom feeder in the PAC-12 if not for Hundley. Same as BC would've been without Matt Ryan.

I would probably say Winston is the top QB we've seen since Luck…but I would be lying if his off the field stuff wasn't concerning. Mariota is the one I really wanted to here what you had to say about. He looks so good out there, but that offense does make it easy for him…I see him make NFL throws but his skill players always seem to have good separation. I worry about him fitting it into tight windows consistently and his fumble issues are a concern for me.

Hundley I haven't seen enough to really comment other than his line is horrid so I appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom