Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Jameis Winston is the best player in college football.....has been since his first game as a RS freshman last year. Not Marcus Mariota. Not Todd Gurley. It's Jameis Winston. That's while playing baseball for FSU in the spring by the way...

Talent wise he should go #1 overall in most any draft. It doesn't get any easier than this in terms of figuring out who the top eligible player is. He's young, immature, and lacks self awareness. But when it's time to line 'em up for 60 minutes between the hashes... you want this guy pulling the trigger. No question about it. That's about all I have to say about it. He wins.

I think Mariota is a top 10 talent, but I have some questions about him on the field. Kid's athletic, runs like a deer with 4.4 speed, and spins the ball. However, he's propped up to a degree by Oregon's offense. That much is clear every year when they run into a team who can matchup like Stanford.

Hundley is the kid I believe has the most upside. He makes throws from the opposite hashmark all the way to the other side of the field into tight coverage that are just astonishing. His offensive line is atrocious, and I don't have a draftable grade on any of his skill position players. But he wins. He's a lot like Matt Ryan was at BC. Same type situation. UCLA would be unranked and a bottom feeder in the PAC-12 if not for Hundley. Same as BC would've been without Matt Ryan.

My only concern for Hundley is that the poor O-line leaves him as damaged good entering the NFL - mentally and physically. I'd pull the trigger on any of the 3, but if I'm guessing how I'll see them at the end of the year, I'd probably go Winston, Mariota, Hundley (in that order). Michigan St. is probably the most impressive game I've seen from Mariota. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I had doubts that he could play well against top D's, and he definitely played well. The added weight seems to suit him well too.

Heading into the season, I had Hundley clearly ahead of Mariota. I'm just very worried for Hundley. Hope he's able to overcome that situation, because I agree that he's an immense talent.

My only concern for Hundley is that the poor O-line leaves him as damaged good entering the NFL - mentally and physically. I'd pull the trigger on any of the 3, but if I'm guessing how I'll see them at the end of the year, I'd probably go Winston, Mariota, Hundley (in that order). Michigan St. is probably the most impressive game I've seen from Mariota. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I had doubts that he could play well against top D's, and he definitely played well. The added weight seems to suit him well too.

Heading into the season, I had Hundley clearly ahead of Mariota. I'm just very worried for Hundley. Hope he's able to overcome that situation, because I agree that he's an immense talent.

I watched the Virginia game and came away pretty impressed with Hundley...even with all the pressure he's a very smooth mover in the pocket and has a good natural feel. The athletic ability certainly helps too. Personality wise I watched some interviews and seemed like a great kid. God forbid we do our usual 7-9 and move on at QB and that's the type of guy we'd be looking at, along with Cook. But I'm not throwing the hat in on Tanny, but food for thought.

I watched the Virginia game and came away pretty impressed with Hundley...even with all the pressure he's a very smooth mover in the pocket and has a good natural feel. The athletic ability certainly helps too. Personality wise I watched some interviews and seemed like a great kid. God forbid we do our usual 7-9 and move on at QB and that's the type of guy we'd be looking at, along with Cook. But I'm not throwing the hat in on Tanny, but food for thought.

I'm not knocking Hundley's game. He has a few things to clean up, but I view him as a high-caliber QB prospect - worth a top-10 pick (maybe even top five). He's a stud. My concern is not for Hundley in his current state. My concern is for what he'll look like with four months. That offensive line is so overmatched in every game, and he has some tough D's left on that schedule. I hope he's able to make it through a very rough time without too much physical or psychological damage. He still has to develop in certain areas, and bad habits stunt growth, and poor protection often creates poor QB habits. If I feel the same or a little better about Hundley come draft time, I'll have him as a top-10/maybe even top-5 pick. I want this guy to succeed. I'm just afraid for him.

I'm not knocking Hundley's game. He has a few things to clean up, but I view him as a high-caliber QB prospect - worth a top-10 pick (maybe even top five). He's a stud. My concern is not for Hundley in his current state. My concern is for what he'll look like with four months. That offensive line is so overmatched in every game, and he has some tough D's left on that schedule. I hope he's able to make it through a very rough time without too much physical or psychological damage. He still has to develop in certain areas, and bad habits stunt growth, and poor protection often creates poor QB habits. If I feel the same or a little better about Hundley come draft time, I'll have him as a top-10/maybe even top-5 pick. I want this guy to succeed. I'm just afraid for him.

Fair concerns, it'll be interesting to see how his season plays out, haven't watched him a ton. I look at Mariota and see a guy who isn't exactly an impressive leader, I look at Winston and all his idiotic stunts he's pulling. Plus the guy can hardly talk. As talents they could both be franchise guys, but I have concerns about their personalities (more a hunch with Mariota, sure I'm assuming too much but just my opinion). Hundley seems like a good, talented kid who can put a team on his back and make everyone better.

I see a more athletic Tannehill in Brett Hundley. I see him as a 3rd round prospect as of now.

I know ASU's D is suspect, but 15 YPA is bonkers. Didn't watch the game in its entirety, but from what I did watch, Hundley's ball placement was outstanding. He quietly made a really nice play on a TD pass in the 1st half - where the TE on the play was running himself into coverage, and Hundley stopped him by putting it a little behind him.

I know ASU's D is suspect, but 15 YPA is bonkers. Didn't watch the game in its entirety, but from what I did watch, Hundley's ball placement was outstanding. He quietly made a really nice play on a TD pass in the 1st half - where the TE on the play was running himself into coverage, and Hundley stopped him by putting it a little behind him.

The defense was literally giving up on plays. They held their own for a while, but once Hundley exposed them, they completely fell apart and showed their youth. I believe there are 3 true freshmen starting on the defense, amongst many other youngsters. 2 Seniors starting.

As an ASU fan (I sure know how to pick 'em...), I almost felt bad for them. I say almost because like I said, it was clear to everybody that they were giving up on plays in the second half and when they weren't giving up, they were making the Phins tackling last week look textbook. I knew it was a rebuilding year and that the D should be good in a year or two, but dear god...

It would be interesting to know what the YAC was for each, because if I remember correctly (I was a few beers in by this point...), they weren't really deep passes. The few that I remember him throwing were overthrown a little, not like the mile Tannehill will overthrow or underthrow by, but overthrown. Outside of that, he looked great IMO. He should work on not taking so many shots though. He took a couple shots right on his braced elbow.

Jacoby Brissett is ****ing balling right now.

Of course I noticed him first against South Florida. That's my team so how could I not notice him extract 49 points out of our defense, which is actually pretty good when Chuck Bresnahan takes the time to game plan against the opponent. By the way that's not an exaggeration, he all but admitted to approaching the Western Carolina game with no real game plan, just all vanilla defensive packages and adjusting on the fly. That led to WCU completing 46 passes on us and scoring 31 points. I guess he didn't want to give anything away before some of the harder games. But anyway when they're game planning right, South Florida's defense did a great job against Maryland and a mighty impressive job against Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin.

Of course the scouts have known who he is for quite some time, but getting film on the guy has been a chore because the only full game he ever played was against Jacksonville State in 2012. But I can guarantee that Florida State film is being dissected and the South Florida and Georgia Southern games are being Fedex'd.

I told CO that Muschamp let the wrong QB go to N.C. State a while back in the college forum. I simply cannot understand that one.

Gunner Kiel is the one playing some serious football right now. This is a good looking quarterback.

Joe Licata is a kid I like a lot. Reminds me a lot of Austin Davis coming out of Southern Miss. I have a similar grade on him.

I told CO that Muschamp let the wrong QB go to N.C. State a while back in the college forum. I simply cannot understand that one.

Gunner Kiel is the one playing some serious football right now. This is a good looking quarterback.

It was my fear at the time, and after watching him against FSU, those fears have been validated. He also let the wrong guy transfer to BC. Mediocre as he was, Murphy is still far better than what we have now. Over on Gator Country there's a very in-depth breakdown of every offensive snap UF had in the first half against Bama. The analysis confirmed what my eyes had already told me. The line, the backs, and the receivers were fine, but the QB is killing that offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacoby Brissett is ****ing balling right now.

Of course I noticed him first against South Florida. That's my team so how could I not notice him extract 49 points out of our defense, which is actually pretty good when Chuck Bresnahan takes the time to game plan against the opponent. By the way that's not an exaggeration, he all but admitted to approaching the Western Carolina game with no real game plan, just all vanilla defensive packages and adjusting on the fly. That led to WCU completing 46 passes on us and scoring 31 points. I guess he didn't want to give anything away before some of the harder games. But anyway when they're game planning right, South Florida's defense did a great job against Maryland and a mighty impressive job against Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin.

Of course the scouts have known who he is for quite some time, but getting film on the guy has been a chore because the only full game he ever played was against Jacksonville State in 2012. But I can guarantee that Florida State film is being dissected and the South Florida and Georgia Southern games are being Fedex'd.

He played in a number of games as a freshman in 2011. Even had a couple starts. Obviously he was a raw freshman on a pretty bad team but the potential was there. I saw it. Never saw it from our current starter.

It was my fear at the time, and after watching him against FSU, those fears have been validated. He also let the wrong guy transfer to BC. Mediocre as he was, Murphy is still far better than what we have now. Over on Gator Country there's a very in-depth breakdown of every offensive snap UF had in the first half against Bama. The analysis g confirmed what my eyes had already told me. The line, the backs, and the receivers were fine, but the QB is killing that offense.

Absolutely. That's been the case with Driskel since he got there.

There were receivers that had stacked their man and were open running down the seams against Bama but Driskel was missing 'em by 4 yards. He has no sense of timing or accuracy. He's honestly as bad of an SEC quarterback as I've ever seen. I feel sorry for the kid.

He's a terrific athlete. Somebody should've made him a skill position player a long time ago. That my friend, is not all his fault.

After taking some time to watch Gunner Kiel and really break down what little tape he has, I'm here to tell you that this kid looks like an all timer. There's just no denying it.

His poise in the pocket for such a young, inexperienced quarterback is extremely advanced. His arm is launching rockets way downfield, and zipping 30 yard passes into closing windows between two defenders. His accuracy is tremendous on all throws to all areas of the field.

He threw for 319 yards and 4 touchdowns in just over 12 minutes of possession time on the road in The Horseshoe against a ranked Ohio St. The Buckeyes looked scared to death. They ain't seen nothing like this before.

Junior receiver Chris Moore (who's #18 on my list of underclassman WR's) is averaging over 42 yards/reception with 5 TD's on only 6 catches this year with Kiel throwing him the ball.

This kid is ****y and confident as hell on the football field. He's that good and he carries himself as though he knows it. The opponents know it pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom