Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

I haven't evaluated Goff or Hackenburg in terms of next level prospects. They're not draft eligible.

Right now I evaluate their receivers, backs, and offensive lineman that are draft eligible. There will be plenty of time to digest what these kids bring to the table as soon as I'm done with this year's class.... probably around the end of January is when I'll start on 2016. I've obviously watched both of them play and they're extremely talented sophomore quarterbacks.

Want to add Jeremy Johnson from Auburn to this list as well..... Extremely talented. Made a start vs West Carolina in 2013, played a lot against FAU in 2013, and started the opener and played the 1st half vs Arkansas this year. I would have to say he's right in the mix with Goff, Hackenberg, and Kiel. 2016/2017 (depending on when they come out) has some very promising quarterback prospects. Franchise QB caliber talent. But I'm in the same boat as you as far as evaluating them. Actually, I'd say you're even ahead of me. I've only had glimpses.

To add to my post about Jeremy Johnson, he was Mr. Football in Alabama almost won Mr. Basketball. I've seen him in the limited playing time he's gotten: FAU West Carolina in 2013 and the opening half vs Arkansas this year. Really good athlete great size big time arm talent, and throws a really nice deep ball. I was expecting him to be more of a runner, but it was his skill as a passer that intrigued me the most. He's definitely right in the mix with the other guys I mentioned. And I'm gonna add Sefo Liufau from Colorado to my 2016 QB watch list as well.

Still waiting for me to "see the light" on Marcus Mariota. It may never happen.

Honestly stack up Cody Fajardo's performance against a really good BYU defense and then watch Marcus Mariota's performance against UCLA and tell me those guys aren't near carbon copies of one another, and that Fajardo may actually be the version that translates better. And that's not me saying Fajardo deserves top billing, nor that he's the better prospect in the long run. It just is what it is.

Still waiting for me to "see the light" on Marcus Mariota. It may never happen.

Honestly stack up Cody Fajardo's performance against a really good BYU defense and then watch Marcus Mariota's performance against UCLA and tell me those guys aren't near carbon copies of one another, and that Fajardo may actually be the version that translates better. And that's not me saying Fajardo deserves top billing, nor that he's the better prospect in the long run. It just is what it is.

You can't possible compare the BYU defense to the UCLA defense. Is BYU fundamentally sound? Yes. But they don't have anywhere near the team speed of UCLA. UCLA is a closer comparison to an NFL defense. But for the record I'm not in love with Mariota either. I think he'll be about as good as Kaepernick. More disciplined but less of an arm and less ball security. (Wonder how his hands will measure).

Something to consider with Mariota: he does fumble, but the guys simply does not throw picks. He had, what, 4 last year, and 0 so far this one? He won't be asked to run as much in the NFL as he does in college, the biggest question will be about strip sacks and can he cut down on that. I think Kaepernick is the floor for Mariota (and I'm not saying CK is all that great a QB, mid pack NFL starter).

Something to consider with Mariota: he does fumble, but the guys simply does not throw picks. He had, what, 4 last year, and 0 so far this one? He won't be asked to run as much in the NFL as he does in college, the biggest question will be about strip sacks and can he cut down on that. I think Kaepernick is the floor for Mariota (and I'm not saying CK is all that great a QB, mid pack NFL starter).

He had one last night that was deflected twice. Tannehill fumbles a **** load too. 18 in his first 32 starts. I'm interested to see Mariota's hand measurement. But a big part of the problem is that he doesn't place two hands on the football and keep it tight to his body. I think he'll be a little better than Kaep.

Mariota doesn't get picked much but he sure does throw a lot of should-be picks, especially if he has to deal with pressure and/or tight coverage. Even with the great stats from this last game, he had to have thrown at least three balls that should've been picked.

Mariota doesn't get picked much but he sure does throw a lot of should-be picks, especially if he has to deal with pressure and/or tight coverage. Even with the great stats from this last game, he had to have thrown at least three balls that should've been picked.

That's why I'm not a big fan of him. He'll barely end up as a 1st Round prospect for me once I finish my grades. He's #22 out of 56 prospects so far.

Speaking of qb's.

Hackenberg has been so bad lately. I mean damn.

Makes you wonder if you can put humpty dumpty back together again. There are some other really talented QB's for next year like Jeremy Johnson, Jared Goff, and Gunner Kiel.

Consider also Hackenburg is a young cat who is learning a new offense under Franklin. O'Brien ran a pro passing style offense, Franklin is that short passing game thing, lots of screens, etc. And as mentioned, he's been sacked 25 times this season, more than all of last, and sacked like 5 or 6 times yesterday. Still a solid completion % day, and a couple real nice longer (not deep) passes.

Consider also Hackenburg is a young cat who is learning a new offense under Franklin. O'Brien ran a pro passing style offense, Franklin is that short passing game thing, lots of screens, etc. And as mentioned, he's been sacked 25 times this season, more than all of last, and sacked like 5 or 6 times yesterday. Still a solid completion % day, and a couple real nice longer (not deep) passes.

I thought he would be a surefire #1 overall pick after his freshman year.

Main issue with Hackenberg is he knows how physically gifted his arm is and he trusts it too much, which leads to some awful decision making and picks. The one against Ohio St. Saturday night was really bad. The receiver was covered and the DB was running the route for him. He had time to choose several different options that would've been better... including throwing it away since he was out of the pocket.

He'll be fine and he'll go top 5 in the draft when he comes out. He's a big, strong armed, protoypical pocket passer that throws with great touch and trajectory downfield. It's the intermediate routes that he struggles with the most. He hasn't learned how to throw these receivers open yet... he trusts his arm to get the job done most of the time, which leads to peculiar turnovers.

Peaking of should be picks--Jameis

Back
Top Bottom