Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Trevone Boykin was never going to be a consistently good starting quarterback at the next level in my opinion, that's not even what I would draft him to be. His best position is at wide receiver. However, I do believe that he's the closest thing to "Slash" (Kordell Stewart) that I've seen since Kordell Stewart came out of Colorado. They have the same makeup in a lot of ways.

Connor Cook isn't coming out this year, wants to use up all his college eligibility (plus he prob wouldn't get a 1st round grade this year.)

Smart decision for him. He hasn't even been a captain yet. That's a good program, I wouldn't worry about them falling off the map or anything. They're probably going to be locked out of the playoffs this year I think, so maybe they have more luck next year.

Here in Colorado they have a QB up the road at CSU in Fort Collins named Garrett Grayson who has become the school's all-time passing leader. Granted, they played against schools like Hawaii and Reno, but Grayson looks really solid.....I think he would be worth a look maybe in the 5th - 7th round? CSU doesn't get the attention of a lot of schools, but they have been rebuilding and moving the program in the right direction:

[video=youtube;ygs5zhVJPt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygs5zhVJPt8[/video]

He's a senior so we talked about him a bit in the senior QB thread on November 6th.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...niors)&p=1065224667&viewfull=1-post1065224667
http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...niors)&p=1065224695&viewfull=1-post1065224695

It's funny because only about 20 minutes prior to that exchange I had just written up a little more extensive of a review on Grayson...on the other message board whose name I don't believe we can even write in here without it being *******ed out. You can find it in the "clickable index" thread of that board's draft forum.

He's a senior so we talked about him a bit in the senior QB thread on November 6th.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...niors)&p=1065224667&viewfull=1-post1065224667
http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...niors)&p=1065224695&viewfull=1-post1065224695

It's funny because only about 20 minutes prior to that exchange I had just written up a little more extensive of a review on Grayson...on the other message board whose name I don't believe we can even write in here without it being *******ed out. You can find it in the "clickable index" thread of that board's draft forum.

I think Grayson has moved up the charts as fast as anyone. He killed Wyoming with 5 TD's. OK Wyoming is not that great, but I think Grayson has really improved while at CSU. He is involved with the Manning Passing Academy and some have called him a "Poor Man's Blake Bortles." CSU was horrible a few years ago, but they are now a Top 25 college team. I have only seen about five of his games on TV. He does stare down his receivers a bit, but his footwork looks solid, and he doesn't get happy feet. He looks extremely relaxed in the pocket. I like his upside....More info on him, from the CSU web site:

2014 (Senior): Has started all 10 games and completed 65.6% of his passes (204-311) for 3,024 yards and 26 touchdowns, with five interceptions... his 3,024 passing yards rank 5th in NCAA FBS... has thrown for more than 400 yards in two different games this season to claim two of the top four passing games in school history... his 26 touchdowns rank 5th in NCAA FBS... ranks first in the Mountain West in passing yards and touchdowns... pass efficiency rating of 167.8 ranks first among Mountain West quarterbacks... Ranks in the top three of every major CSU career passing category: Yards (1st), touchdowns (1st), completions (1st), attempts (3rd) and completion percentage (1st)... his current completion percentage of 65.6% would rank first in CSU history for season completion percentage... his 26 touchdowns are the most ever by a CSU quarterback, eclipsing his 2013 total of 23, which had tied Justin Holland's standard from 2005.
Has thrown for more than 300 yards in a school-record 10 career games
Passed for 434 yards at Boise State (Sept. 6) and 425 yards against UC Davis (Sept. 13), making his 859 passing yards the most-ever by a CSU passer in consecutive games
Threw a career-high four passing TDs in 49-21 victory over UC Davis (Sept. 13), tied for fourth-most in CSU history
Eclipsed the 6,000 career yard mark against UC Davis (Sept. 13), becoming only the seventh passer in CSU history to do so
Led the Rams to 676 yards of total offense against UC Davis (Sept.13), second-most in program history
His last-minute touchdown pass on 4th-and-11 against Boston College (Sept. 27) helped CSU win its third straight win against team a team from one of the Power 5 conferences
After a three-touchdown performance against Tulsa (Oct. 4), he now ranks second in CSU history with 45 career passing touchdowns
Threw for 326 yards against Nevada (Oct. 11) for his third 300-yard game this season
His 243 yards against Utah State (Oct. 18) was enough to make him Colorado State's all-time leader in passing yards
His five touchdown performance against Wyoming (Oct. 25) made him the all time leader in Colorado State passing touchdowns with 52
His completion percentage of 85.7% (18-21) against Wyoming (Oct. 25) is the second highest completion percentage in a single game for a quarterback in CSU history
His 78% completion percentage on 290 yards passing and a touchdown helped lead the Rams to a win at San Jose State (Nov. 1)
Threw for four more touchdowns against Hawaii (Nov. 8) making his season total 26 which ranks first in history by a CSU quarterback in a single season

Well to each their own but when I look at him I can't help but notice guys like Ty Sambrailo giving him inordinate amount of time to sit in the pocket and wait for crossing routes to develop, helping Grayson to get away with his relaxed pace in the backfield. I can't help but notice all the plays his receivers are making for him, with the Wyoming game you speak of really being a great example of that.

What I keep seeing is a good system with sound coaching and a genuinely good surrounding cast helping him to achieve great things. But I don't necessarily see great talent in him. I think his reading and recognition are a bit slow for the kind of player he'll need to be at the next level, which is to say one who can't do a damn thing with his legs. When the game speeds up around him, I don't know if he can speed up with it. I don't think he can handle a cluttered backfield, or handle pressure all that well. Heck sometimes he gets the ball batted down with a pocket you could go golfing in. I think when he has to throw with touch or deep down the field he seems like he's in trouble...sometimes because the accuracy is scattershot, other times because the ball hangs in the air like a hot air balloon.

I don't know. Mariota's game last night was big on a big stage. The last few games Winston has been just alright. Those 17 picks aren't helping him.

I don't know. Mariota's game last night was big on a big stage. The last few games Winston has been just alright. Those 17 picks aren't helping him.

Mariota is terrific athlete in a system designed to highlight his best attributes and disguise his weaknesses. A system designed to score points and run 90 plays a game. He's much more of a projection to the next level than Winston. Mariota is going to have more adjusting to do. He was trying to throw passes after he had stepped 4 yards beyond the LOS last night. He missed some easy throws to wide open receivers. Although he made some good ones into tight coverage also. His accuracy can be very hit or miss. He's always been that way.

He's not going to be running and throwing for 5 scores a game every week in the NFL. Just keep that in mind. Fumbles a lot, and is built awful wiry at 6'4", 215 pounds or so. His frame isn't going to withstand the punishment that Winston's can.

Winston's 17 interceptions aren't as much of a concern when you really break down each interception individually. Which most people aren't going to do. Similar to how they did was point to M. Ryan's 19 interceptions during his Senior year at Boston College as their ammo to preach about how overrated he was.

The difficulty of the throws on a lot these Winston interceptions is a 10 on the scale from 1-10. He's being too aggressive and trying to do to much in some of these situations...and isn't getting much help. He's constantly under pressure because his offensive line is playing terrible.

Analyze the formation, coverage, and where it dictated the ball to be thrown....especially on each one of his 4 picks vs. Florida in a rivalry game. Down and distance, field position, game situation, difficulty of the throw, whether the route was run correctly, and factor in the play of the defender. Sometimes it's just a great play by the defender.

The fact that he makes plays when it matters most is what counters his mistakes. It's how a quarterback responds to throwing picks that matters. I've been stressing this to people for a long time. Jameis Winston's composure on the field is exceptional. That's why FSU never loses a football game despite how flawed of a team they are, and why he's able to overcome his mistakes.

He's a difference maker at the quarterback position. That's what you're looking for in a franchise caliber quarterback. His physical tools are elite. In addition, he possesses the inner traits of a truly great signal caller.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if Winston is overrated, I can talk endlessly about why any quarterback you place above him is overrated.

I don't think people appreciate how big the gap is between Winston and Mariota. Winston is in that class of Andrew Luck as a QB prospect. Drafting a QB like that is like drafting Tim Duncan. You don't get that close to a sure thing at QB every year; in fact, you rarely do. The key difference between Luck, Winston and Ryan is physical upside (as I see it). You're right to have rated Ryan as very likely to reach his ceiling, but his ceiling is a few notches below Luck and Winston.

Guys like Mariota and Hundley are like RG3, Cam Newton (who I still like, but Carolina is a dumpster fire), Ryan Tannehill, etc. The physical tools are there. If they go to a good fit and they're developed properly, they have a good shot. If they don't get that type of advantage situation, they're long shots. Keeping in mind that you're talking about a top-10 selection, they're a serious roll of the dice. Winston will instantly make any of the poor teams much better.

Funny to hear all that Derek Carr hype die down. I know some of us had Mettenberger rated ahead of Carr, and Mettenberger has looked much better to this point. Bridgewater has also looked better, and even in his brief stint, we see why Manziel was rightly ranked ahead of Carr.

Bridgewater is in that category, imo, and we let him fall right by us. It's not that I wanted to bail on Tannehill as early as this past draft, but Teddy at 19 was just the steal of Round 1, by a mile. The fact he ultimately went at 32 was a joke.

We're going to be talking about Paxton Lynch of Memphis next year. That's a thing that will happen.

Very impressive ascending player. Enormous set of tools. And Memphis is an ascending team too, as I have a feeling we're going to see on December 22nd when they face BYU. That could be the team I end up following with interest next year because I smell something cooking with them.

We're going to be talking about Paxton Lynch of Memphis next year. That's a thing that will happen.

Very impressive ascending player. Enormous set of tools. And Memphis is an ascending team too, as I have a feeling we're going to see on December 22nd when they face BYU. That could be the team I end up following with interest next year because I smell something cooking with them.

This is the kid I'm gunna be watching all year. Kids 6'6" 225lbs, nice arm strength, and can scramble.

Back
Top Bottom