Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

This is the kid I'm gunna be watching all year. Kids 6'6" 225lbs, nice arm strength, and can scramble.

He's accurate, a good decision-maker generally speaking (ascending that way), and like you said he can flat out RUN at that size (he's actually 6'7" I believe). Throws a very pretty ball and easily gets it to where it needs to be, anywhere on the field. As a runner he plows people like Cam Newton.

How come you don't have Jacoby Brissett on this list?

Well, Jacoby Brissett had thrown about 75 passes, and most of them were to the other team when I created this thread in August. He had yet to take a snap for N.C. State, and wasn't an NFL prospect in any aspect. Why would he have been on here?

For the sake of discussion, he's my #7 Senior quarterback for 2016 at the moment. He still has a lot of issues to clean up and needs more experience.

Next year is going to be a nice year. Connor Cook, Brandon Doughty, Jacoby Brissett, Taysom Hill, Cody Kessler...possibly toss in underclass like Paxton Lynch, Gunner Kiel, Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Jeremy Johnson.

That's a good talent base from which to start and see which guys step up. I think Connor Cook is legitimately at the top but I really like Paxton Lynch as well.

Well, Jacoby Brissett had thrown about 75 passes, and most of them were to the other team when I created this thread in August. He had yet to take a snap for N.C. State, and wasn't an NFL prospect in any aspect. Why would he have been on here?

For the sake of discussion, he's my #7 Senior quarterback for 2016 at the moment. He still has a lot of issues to clean up and needs more experience.

I wasn't sure if you had considered him when you updated the thread, thanks.

Next year is going to be a nice year. Connor Cook, Brandon Doughty, Jacoby Brissett, Taysom Hill, Cody Kessler...possibly toss in underclass like Paxton Lynch, Gunner Kiel, Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Jeremy Johnson.

That's a good talent base from which to start and see which guys step up. I think Connor Cook is legitimately at the top but I really like Paxton Lynch as well.

So far I've looked at Connor Cook, Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler, Dak Prescott, and Kevin Hogan. I think Brissett is a really underrated prospect heading into 2016. That's how I would rank them of the aforementioned 5 heading into next season. Hogan doesn't even look worthy of being on a 90 man roster IMO. I was impressed early on when he was a freshman but he hasn't improved since then.

As far as underclassmen, Christian Hackenburg, Jared Goff, Gunner Kiel, Jeremy Johnson, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, are some other names that could potentially enter the class. I won't be taking a look at them (unless through common opponents) for a while.

The three main aspects that Jacoby Brissett needs to improve on are all pocket fundamentals.... progression reading, anticipation, and timing. This is very typical for inexperienced quarterbacks. These are the things that I need to see him improve on as a Senior. He must get better from inside the pocket. In order to accomplish this, he has to remain in the pocket.

A lot of his success is on half field reads from a designed sprint-out, or bailing the pocket to extend the play with his legs if his first read isn't open. He's not very comfortable staying in the pocket yet, and it causes him to bail on his progressions in the process. This is why his YPA is so low for his career at 6.4. Brissett has to develope a better profile from within the confines of the pocket as he gains experience. Working through his progressions will allow him to develope better timing, and facilitate throwing with anticipation. It's a process. It'll eliminate his tendancy to hold on to the football too long and take unnecessary sacks from inside the pocket. I think he should conquer most of this as a Senior in 2015 as he furthers his development and gains more experience.

In other words, when I look at his weaknesses compared to the weaknesses of other Senior quarterbacks with similar physical ability, like Dak Prescott for example, I like Brissett's weaknesses better. Prescott has intangibles and leadership qualites that elevate an entire program. However, in terms of projecting them to the NFL as passers, Prescott's decision making is still troublesome at times. Decision making and protecting the football is one of the biggest improvements Brissett has made thusfar in his development after transferring from Florida. The next step in the process is the pocket fundamentals that I've detailed here. If he does that, he could move as high as #2 or #3 on my list of Senior quarterbacks. All I have to do is see it first.

The three main aspects that Jacoby Brissett needs to improve on are all pocket fundamentals.... progression reading, anticipation, and timing. This is very typical for inexperienced quarterbacks. These are the things that I need to see him improve on as a Senior. He must get better from inside the pocket. In order to accomplish this, he has to remain in the pocket.

A lot of his success is on half field reads from a designed sprint-out, or bailing the pocket to extend the play with his legs if his first read isn't open. He's not very comfortable staying in the pocket yet, and it causes him to bail on his progressions in the process. This is why his YPA is so low for his career at 6.4. Brissett has to develope a better profile from within the confines of the pocket as he gains experience. Working through his progressions will allow him to develope better timing, and facilitate throwing with anticipation. It's a process. It'll eliminate his tendancy to hold on to the football too long and take unnecessary sacks from inside the pocket. I think he should conquer most of this as a Senior in 2015 as he furthers his development and gains more experience.

In other words, when I look at his weaknesses compared to the weaknesses of other Senior quarterbacks with similar physical ability, like Dak Prescott for example, I like Brissett's weaknesses better. Prescott has intangibles and leadership qualites that elevate an entire program. However, in terms of projecting them to the NFL as passers, Prescott's decision making is still troublesome at times. Decision making and protecting the football is one of the biggest improvements Brissett has made thusfar in his development after transferring from Florida. The next step in the process is the pocket fundamentals that I've detailed here. If he does that, he could move as high as #2 or #3 on my list of Senior quarterbacks. All I have to do is see it first.

I may be projecting a little with having him #2 thus far after Connor Cook. Still have a lot of quarterbacks left though.

I may be projecting a little with having him #2 thus far after Connor Cook. Still have a lot of quarterbacks left though.

Conner Cook is clearly the top Senior quarterback in the 2016 class. He's certainly the most NFL ready. The rest of these Senior quarterbacks are lagging significantly behind him in terms of being a finished product. You can tell a lot about where a quarterback is in his development by the type of coverages he predominantely sees.

Brissett sees a lot of C2 defense, because he's running a lot of simple concepts right now. Half field reads with sprint-outs, smash concepts and screens. He doesn't throw in the middle of the field. There's your first clue.

The weakness of a C2 is down the middle. Brissett sees a lot of C2 because he's not threatening that portion of the field yet. He's not throwing in-breaking routes to the middle of the field. Slants or medium to deep dig routes aren't part of his repertoire. These are the throws he really struggles with because they requre anticipation, timing, and accuracy.

He needs to throw more with his feet set. This will improve his accuracy on those type of routes. His feet tell you what his eyes are seeing right now.... one read and go. His feet are rarely ever set correctly when he throws.

There's more to critique that all go hand-in-hand with one another. He just needs to get better from the pocket. Once he does, he'll have more opportunities for MOF reads and bigger plays in the passing game. It'll raise that paltry YPA.

Back
Top Bottom