Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen)

Josh Robinson of Miss St from Round 4 onwards would be a pick I would find very difficult not to run up with a grin on my mug.

Just checked his highlight reel. I like the bowling ball types. I think he would fit like a glove here and we could get some low-built power to go with Lamar.

Thing I like about him is he isn't just a snowplow type. He can be relied on for short yardage and he can carry guys on his back for extra yards, but on top of that he has footwork and vision enough to regularly break off big runs. He's a solid receiver who got a lot of work in the passing game and made use of it.

He doesn't have top end speed with those short legs, but he has the burst and wiggle to break off 20 yard runs regularly. I'd gladly have him in the mid to late rounds and know he was going to be productive in the pros.

Gurley is the only back I would even consider in the top two rounds for Miami. With that injury, I'd forgive any GM for passing on him, but he's a special talent. Gordon won't repeat that production in the pros, even if he does become a top-half RB. With so much of his yardage on the outside and so many good RBs available in later rounds, I don't think I'd be tempted by him.

Just checked his highlight reel. I like the bowling ball types. I think he would fit like a glove here and we could get some low-built power to go with Lamar.

Josh Robinson's nickname is "bowling ball"

Both Gurley and Gordon appear incredibly talented. I watched Gordon in his Bowl game carry the Badgers - extremely impressive. He seems to consistently get greater yardage than he should. The Defense knows he is getting the ball but they have difficulty stopping him and it's not like he is physically huge.
How big a differential do you rate between the two? Why?

Both Gurley and Gordon appear incredibly talented. I watched Gordon in his Bowl game carry the Badgers - extremely impressive. He seems to consistently get greater yardage than he should. The Defense knows he is getting the ball but they have difficulty stopping him and it's not like he is physically huge.

Before Gurley was injured he was the clear cut #1

Gurley just breaks so many tackles, and is better in all aspects of the passing game. Gordon has rare acceleration and better short area quickness and elusiveness.

For example, I gave Gurley an 8.0 and Gordon a 7.7

8.0 is an All-Pro player for a long time. 7.5 is a Pro-Bowler.

So yeah, I think really highly of both. The difference is one has an ACL injury and one doesn't. I don't think Miami looks at Gurley in round 1 for that reason.

Before Gurley was injured he was the clear cut #1

Gurley just breaks so many tackles, and is better in all aspects of the passing game. Gordon has rare acceleration and better short area quickness and elusiveness.

For example, I gave Gurley an 8.0 and Gordon a 7.7

8.0 is an All-Pro player for a long time. 7.5 is a Pro-Bowler.

So yeah, I think really highly of both. The difference is one has an ACL injury and one doesn't. I don't think Miami looks at Gurley in round 1 for that reason.

Yeah, plus if you want a power back, you can sAve the pick and get demarco, gore, maybe lynch, for a small cost.

No one is going to pay these guys with a stacked RB class.

I've always had them very close, even prior to the season when I created this this. They were both in their own category seperate from the rest of underclassman RB's. Which is saying something considering how highly I regarded several underclassman RB's heading into this season. They were both just that rare.

Everybody mentions speed, acceleration, and explosiveness when they talk about Melvin Gordon. Because those are the things that are most obvious to casual observers when they watch Gordon. However, the most underrated aspect of Melvin Gordon's game is how well he runs between the tackles and in traffic. His ability to anticipate the next defender and find creases in tight spaces is extremely impressive on tape. Furthermore, he really began to finish runs this year due to the added muscle. He's a strong back. A truly great back isn't looking the defender that's in front of him... he's looking at the next one. Because he already knows he's going to get by the first defender. You see this in Melvin Gordon's running. Gordon is extremely dangerous catching passes out of the backfield... he's a threat to score when they throw it to him. Although they hadn't done it much at all until this year.

All that said, a healthy Todd Gurley is just a different beast entirely. He's bigger, stronger, and faster than Melvin Gordon. Secondly, he proved earlier in his career that he was more versatile, and a more complete back.... especially catching passes out of the backfield. Gurley's top end speed is unreal for a back that physical, and that size. It's evident in several areas... obviously when you watch him run, but also on kick returns.

Wisconsin's offensive line is much more physical at run blocking than Georgia's. They generate a lot more lateral displacement up front for the RB's. One of the most impressive statistics regarding Gurley was the fact that he had been hit behind the LOS on 25 runs at one point during the season..... he still averaged 4 yards/carry on these runs. If there's a statistic that illustrates how good of a back a healthy Todd Gurley is, it's that one.

The only concern with Gurley if you want to nitpick is the fact that he's been dinged up more than you'd like during his career.

Gurley is damaged goods....No matter how great he was before.

Our 2nd rounder would the earliest to even consider drafting this guy....and really the 3rd in my opinion.

We need instant impact and to hit on our early picks.

I like the idea of grabbing one of the healthy backs that should be there in round 3..........

Gurley is damaged goods....No matter how great he was before.

Our 2nd rounder would the earliest to even consider drafting this guy....and really the 3rd in my opinion.

We need instant impact and to hit on our early picks.

I like the idea of grabbing one of the healthy backs that should be there in round 3..........

Well, I don't particularly care who Miami drafts, or if they swap all their draft picks for a head of lettuce. That's not my point.

I don't think you can look at a back, especially a back like Todd Gurley, and just toss him out on the assumption that he's damaged goods. I'll guarantee that NFL scouts aren't thinking that way. There was very little damage done to his knee in terms of what ligaments were torn and where. Secondly, players typically come back from ACL tears now with the knee stronger than it was prior to the injury.

Everybody is only one play away from being damaged goods. Melvin Gordon could tear his ACL on the first play of training camp. Then he's damaged goods. I remember when Jamal Lewis tore ACL's in BOTH knees.... one at Tennessee and the other in the NFL 3 years later. I think he went on to run for 2,000 yards in the NFL.

Adrian Peterson ran for 2,000 the year after tearing his ACL. Players recover from torn ACL's quite spectacularly. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Jamaal Charles, and many more. There may be healthier backs than Gurley, but they're still not anywhere near his level. They're only one play away from not being healthy. You can't sacrifice special talent for the sake of hoping the same won't happen to a less talented player. They won't come draft day. The odds are actually higher that his knee returns stronger than it was before.

Well, I don't particularly care who Miami drafts, or if they swap all their draft picks for a head of lettuce. That's not my point.

I don't think you can look at a back, especially a back like Todd Gurley, and just toss him out on the assumption that he's damaged goods. I'll guarantee that NFL scouts aren't thinking that way. There was very little damage done to his knee in terms of what ligaments were torn and where. Secondly, players typically come back from ACL tears now with the knee stronger than it was prior to the injury.

Everybody is only one play away from being damaged goods. Melvin Gordon could tear his ACL on the first play of training camp. Then he's damaged goods. I remember when Jamal Lewis tore ACL's in BOTH knees.... one at Tennessee and the other in the NFL 3 years later. I think he went on to run for 2,000 yards in the NFL.

Adrian Peterson ran for 2,000 the year after tearing his ACL. Players recover from torn ACL's quite spectacularly. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Jamaal Charles, and many more. There may be healthier backs than Gurley, but they're still not anywhere near his level. They're only one play away from not being healthy. You can't sacrifice special talent for the sake of hoping the same won't happen to a less talented player. They won't come draft day. The odds are actually higher that his knee returns stronger than it was before.

Right...or we can look at Marcus Lattimore ...who was never the same.

My point is....pick 14 is out of the question....and the 2nd rounder is highly questionable...after that....go ahead and gamble.

Some players are just injury prone....no matter how talented they are...while some seem much more durable....call it genetics, running style...whatever...it is what it is.

Gurley missed 3 games the year before with assorted injuries to his legs snd was not really ready for the spring last season.

Its the risk factor for me...I don't like injury prone players...and I am a believer not all players are the same when it comes to this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right...or we can look at Marcus Lattiomore ...who was never the same.

My point is....pick 14 is out of the question....and the 2nd rounder is highly questionable...after that....go ahead and gamble.

Marcus Lattimore is an entirely different situation for several reasons. He tore the ACL in his left knee in 2011. He came back from that one.

He sustained a broken leg, broken knee cap, and tore 3 of the 4 major ligaments in his right knee 2 years later. That was the injury that did him in.

Gurley had a clean tear, a minor one in terms of ACL tears, and only one ligament. It just happened in November, and he's expected to be ready to do some things for scouts before the draft. He'll be ready week 1.

According to some NFL executives, he'll still be the #1 running back on their board despite the knee injury, and for good reason. He's still expected to be drafted in the 1st round. He'll be a terrific player for whatever team drafts him, or wherever they draft him at. Now if you'd like to wager against some of that, all of that, or any of that.. I'll take you up on it.

I'm not saying he'll never make it...I'm saying...as a Miami Dolphin diehard....I'm not willing to risk the 14th pick in the draft on a guy who missed 1/4 of his season in 2013 due to multiple leg injuries....and missed an important part of 2014 tearing his ACL.

Its a gamble the Miami Dolphins can't afford to take.

Starting to jump on this tevin Coleman bandwaggon, reminds me of Foster, and in our zone blocking scheme, seems like a natural fit. AT this point he's becoming underrated.

This RB class is like last years WR class as far as depth and talent goes. When things are said and done you might be asking yourself why you didn't draft 2.

There's probably a good 14-16 draft worthy rbs.

Back
Top Bottom