Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen)

Interesting, the last time RB was taken in RD#1 2012- Trent Richardson (bust) Doug Martin (solid) & David Wilson (career ending injury). Perhaps the results of the 2012 draft affected proceeding drafts- none taken RD 1 2013 & 2014..
Looking back further, 2010- 2011 1st Rd RBs: Matthews, Best, Ingram - nothing special- contributing to the devaluation of the position.

I would argue Gurley is in fact just that- a special player- game changer etc... I would be ok with him at 14.

Interesting, the last time RB was taken in RD#1 2012- Trent Richardson (bust) Doug Martin (solid) & David Wilson (career ending injury). Perhaps the results of the 2012 draft affected proceeding drafts- none taken RD 1 2013 & 2014..
Looking back further, 2010- 2011 1st Rd RBs: Matthews, Best, Ingram - nothing special- contributing to the devaluation of the position.

I would argue Gurley is in fact just that- a special player- game changer etc... I would be ok with him at 14.

the running game will start coming back into the NFL as more of importance again soon... but that is interesting to see who was drafted 1st round. and youre right nothing special has come out of any of those guys. I wouldnt even call Doug Martin that solid, and David Wilson you could tell wasnt going to amount to anything.

But it even shows what I said in another thread on RBs... You can definitely find great value at RB in later rounds in drafts. taking a stab at on early round could easily haunt you in the long run due to injuries, as well as these guys not panning out at all.

Slimm,
How do you feel about a Todd Gurley-Ricky Williams comparison?

Slimm,
How do you feel about a Todd Gurley-Ricky Williams comparison?

I suppose the comparison doesn't really seem accurate to me. They're built completely different. Their college careers were completely different. Different conferences, etc.

Todd Gurley has always reminded me of Fred Taylor coming out of Florida. I don't compare many backs to Fred Taylor.

I suppose the comparison doesn't really seem accurate to me. They're built completely different. Their college careers were completely different. Different conferences, etc.

Todd Gurley has always reminded me of Fred Taylor coming out of Florida. I don't compare many backs to Fred Taylor.

Taylor was built lower to the ground and had better lateral agilty, imo, but I see what you mean. There have been very few backs who have ever had Taylor's kind of ability once he had the ball in his hands. Unfortunately he had just about the worst hands in a running back you'll ever see, while Gurley actually has quite good hands.

Not to beat a dead horse on Gurley but my main issue with him is not his knee, it's his vision. Not that it's bad, it's just to me not as good as I'd like, especially in a first round running back. Very few backs in the NFL have the power to flatten people consistently. It's much more about your vision. There's a similar premium for quarterbacks with mental processing and anticipation. In college you get away with more by having great arm talent. In the NFL the premium shifts to other things. As a result I ultimately wonder whether Duke Johnson will end up as the best back in this class. Now, he actually carries a big medical risk as opposed to Gurley, but his vision is excellent. Not Frank Gore excellent, but excellent. Some of it comes down to personal preference. More than most positions running back is one of those things where personal preference makes a huge difference in evaluations.

[video=youtube;GeOcujQAayk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOcujQAayk[/video]

Gurley's vision is excellent

975 yards, 5.2 YPC, and 8 TD's in 11 games.

Not bad for Damaged Goods.

It's even more impressive when you consider the lack of threat at the QB position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom