Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Carson Wentz: North Dakota State, Four consecutive championships, 6'6, 230, rocket arm, great mobility, 4.0 GPA, smart kid. My sleeper pick in the 4th round, time to ditch Matt Moore and Freeman. Watch the video.

[video=youtube_share;5XpUJ84H5Oo]http://youtu.be/5XpUJ84H5Oo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Four consecutive national championships is a bit misleading. Brock Jensen was the quarterback for three of them.

Four consecutive national championships is a bit misleading. Brock Jensen was the quarterback for three of them.

Well yeah that's true....I was mainly implying that they have a good program there at NDSU. While he has not been going up against SEC-like competition, there have been QB's like Tony Romo and Joe Flacco who played for somewhat small programs, who have had solid NFL careers. Wentz would be worth grooming to be a solid backup, kind of like the Bronco's QB Osweiler.

Im super impressed by Doughty v La Tech. He's got my attention and I will be watching WKU games. That was one of the most impressive QB tapes I have ever seen.
Wertz is also impressive but Im underwhelmed by his opponents in that division and he seems a tad slow and does not change decision and deal like Doughty.

I didnt carefully look at Kevin Hogan until DB posted his USC game. What a beast! He will need to speed up his tempo for the pros but part of that is also on college receivers making themselves available on time. Hogan is almost like clock work, right decision after right decision. QB position is played from the neck up and this guy's got it, and thensome. He's got the athleticism too, he is the full package.

Some are touting Wentz as high as a late 1st round pick..

His physical talent is great, but his lower body fundamentals and overall passing instincts are severely lacking.

If you're into drafting developmental quarterbacks, (which I am not), then I don't have a problem with taking him in the 4th. But those guys almost never turn into starters much less "franchise" QB's. He's still a better developmental prospect IMO than Hack or Cardale. He's my 4th QB after Goff/Lynch/Cook, but I wouldn't be the one to (over)draft him.

I basically agree with you on Wentz. I actually like the way he moves, his body control, physical capabilities. And he certainly has an arm, good accuracy too. You can clean up his footwork and mechanics I think.

The thing you can't necessarily clean up is tunnel vision. It's not that he stares down targets, although he does that occasionally. It's that he's not seeing defenders. Vision and mental processing might be the most important aspects of the position and if you're really lacking there then I'm not sure how you'd end up ranked high.

Surprised you have Kevin Hogan behind Dak Prescott and Matt Johnson. Unless that's just a product of not having updated the list lately. No offense to Matt Johnson. He's really fun to watch. Honestly I'm wondering if Hogan shouldn't be second senior.

Footwork and stare down issues are the biggest legit concerns. But I like the trajectory he's established with respect to his footwork so I think it'll keep getting better.

More and more momentum building for Carson Wentz ending up the 1st quarterback taken, possibly in the top 5 picks.

I must be taking crazy pills.

More and more momentum building for Carson Wentz ending up the 1st quarterback taken, possibly in the top 5 picks.

I must be taking crazy pills.

NFL scouts are typically pretty terrible at their jobs. The only people worse at their jobs than the scouts are NFL general managers. I came to realize this as truth a long time ago.

You have only a handful of good ones. The rest are entirely misplaced.

NFL scouts are typically pretty terrible at their jobs. The only people worse at their jobs than the scouts are NFL general managers. I came to realize this as truth a long time ago.

You have only a handful of good ones. The rest are entirely misplaced.

What film are they watching?

It's not really a matter of film, IMO. Yes you can pick out issues on film whether it be choppy lower body mechanics or a tendency to take risks that would have burned him at the Power 5 level, some times he looked as if he wasn't really seeing the defense, etc. But that's not really it.

I think it's a dismissal of risks. This is a prospect with 600 pass attempts at the college level. He switched to QB halfway through high school too, so it's not as if he's been eating and breathing quarterbacking theory since he was a littl'n like Jameis Winston.

Normally a guy with 600 college attempts, especially since the tape is by no means perfect, would get skewered to some degree. Guys like Ryan Tannehill and Mark Sanchez took their lumps because of it, and the lack of experience constituted major arguments against them that they needed to overcome one way or another. With Wentz it seems as if he's completely skated through that question. I don't even see it raised. Yet this guy had 600 snaps at the FCS level, those other guys had low experience at the major Power 5 level of FBS football.

Then he gets compared to Flacco. Well first off he doesn't have Flacco's freakshow arm. Good arm for sure, but he's not a freakshow. Second Flacco had 50% more college tape than Wentz did. Third Flacco did actually face some FBS competition and acquitted himself well. When Wentz went against the FBS, if I remember right it was Iowa State's porous defense and Wentz had, let's face it, kind of a "meh" day against them.

I think in this draft the evaluaters really just want an elite QB prospect to reveal himself, and so they're making it happen.

The way I see it Wentz isn't even necessarily up with Goff, Cook and Lynch. There are things to like about all four players. But there are things to dislike a lot, to where I don't think I can make any of them my first pick in the draft. I'd just hold tight and then pick up the one that seems to fit my system and style of coaching best.

Connor Cook goes a little under-appreciated. The way he sets up his throws with his feet is really impressive, quick delivery, pro style decision making. Wouldn't be shocked if he's the guy that finds his way to immediate success. His maturity problems are probably just a function of age. There are QBs in the Hall of Fame that were complete a-holes when they played.

I don't know much about Wentz. I saved the Senior Bowl tape but haven't watched it yet.

From highlights alone, Wentz' style of play reminds me of a more sudden and aggressive version of Alex Smith.

He does seem to throw lots of wobblers. I'm always cautious about going overboard on a player with that tendency.

Too bad Jeremiah and others have spotlighted Brandon Allen so often. I like Allen as a great later round backup/emergency starter. But he doesn't offer the upside of someone like Brett Hundley, who went so late last year.

I'm convinced Kessler would be touted if he were a small college sleeper, and not a well known major college guy.

The Chris Chandler comparison is a good one for Kevin Hogan. I do worry about Hogan's delivery. Apparently he does also, since he's reportedly taken steps to change it since the season ended. Hogan has many fine traits. Lots of variance from game to game. If you judge him on the USC game, as mentioned in this thread, you'll love him since that regular season game was among the finest of his career. I still don't understand how USC was a 10 point favorite in that game. They went from -10 against Stanford to +4.5 against the same team a couple of months later. And the +4.5 was light.

Slimm, CK, what do we have in Brandon Doughty? I thought he played pretty well against the Giants. Oddly enough I thought he looked more comfortable and confident than Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom