Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Not sure why some people like Joshua Dobbs so much.... with those bow legged knee's he'll be in the shop quite a bit.

Justin Fuente is the next coaching superstar. To be able to turn around Memphis in the short time he did was remarkable. 10-3 with loses at UCLA (by 7), at Ole Miss (by 21.. not an easy place to play and they are absolutely loaded with NFL prospects), and to Houston at home (by 4). It's only a matter of time until he jumps ship and takes over a Major program.

Not sure why some people like Joshua Dobbs so much.... with those bow legged knee's he'll be in the shop quite a bit.

Dobbs is really just scratching the surface, he should've been on the field for the Vols to begin with.

I deal with a lot of Tennessee folks, and I kept telling 'em that I couldn't understand why Coach Jones was redshirting Dobbs last year in favor of trotting out Justin Worley every Saturday. It was always clear to me who the best player with the most potential was in 2013 watching Dobbs perform towards the end of his freshman season. They understood where I was coming from when Butch finally burned that redshirt attempt and turned Dobbs loose. He opened up the entire offense for Tennessee with his dual threat ability.

Tennessee couldn't whip anybody at the LOS, couldn't run the ball, couldn't throw it, and couldn't stop anybody defensively. So it didn't make any sense to me why they were wasting time with a kid that just couldn't make a play to save his life in Worley. They needed a playmaker, and they had one choking on the bench over there with a redshirt around his neck. They needed a kid that could create and make plays on his own....didn't matter if he knew what he was doing or not. They needed to get this kid on the field and let him develope. He'd make plays while he developed, and give Tennessee a chance to win some games.

Dobbs came to Tennessee as a wide receiver, and he may end up a wide receiver in the NFL. I don't know. That's why I list him as an athlete. But what I do know, is that this kid stresses a defense in ways that no Tennessee quarterback has in many years. Probably since Heath Shuler. Tennessee is as talented on both sides of the ball as anybody in the country. They have NFL prospects 2 and 3 deep at literally every position....and most of 'em are still just pups. Watch out for the Vols in 2015. I'm telling you they're going to hurt some feelings in the SEC this year...maybe more.

Justin Fuente is the next coaching superstar. To be able to turn around Memphis in the short time he did was remarkable. 10-3 with loses at UCLA (by 7), at Ole Miss (by 21.. not an easy place to play and they are absolutely loaded with NFL prospects), and to Houston at home (by 4). It's only a matter of time until he jumps ship and takes over a Major program.

I agree. He's also recruited away some players that I really liked, which to me shows he's got a good eye for talent. Part of their success.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I wish I could get hold of more game tape on the Throwin Samoan's nephew. I really do like what I see. From what little I've seen he's up with Paxton Lynch for me, maybe even a little above him.

I agree. He's also recruited away some players that I really liked, which to me shows he's got a good eye for talent. Part of their success.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I wish I could get hold of more game tape on the Throwin Samoan's nephew. I really do like what I see. From what little I've seen he's up with Paxton Lynch for me, maybe even a little above him.

My CU Buffs had a great Samoan QB named Sal Aunese. He died of cancer in 1989, the year after I graduated from CU, and then my Buffs won the national title in 1990. Hard to believe 25 years have gone by. I really like Liufau, and hope he can get the Buffs turned around.

Dobbs is really just scratching the surface, he should've been on the field for the Vols to begin with.

I deal with a lot of Tennessee folks, and I kept telling 'em that I couldn't understand why Coach Jones was redshirting Dobbs last year in favor of trotting out Justin Worley every Saturday. It was always clear to me who the best player with the most potential was in 2013 watching Dobbs perform towards the end of his freshman season. They understood where I was coming from when Butch finally burned that redshirt attempt and turned Dobbs loose. He opened up the entire offense for Tennessee with his dual threat ability.

Tennessee couldn't whip anybody at the LOS, couldn't run the ball, couldn't throw it, and couldn't stop anybody defensively. So it didn't make any sense to me why they were wasting time with a kid that just couldn't make a play to save his life in Worley. They needed a playmaker, and they had one choking on the bench over there with a redshirt around his neck. They needed a kid that could create and make plays on his own....didn't matter if he knew what he was doing or not. They needed to get this kid on the field and let him develope. He'd make plays while he developed, and give Tennessee a chance to win some games.

Dobbs came to Tennessee as a wide receiver, and he may end up a wide receiver in the NFL. I don't know. That's why I list him as an athlete. But what I do know, is that this kid stresses a defense in ways that no Tennessee quarterback has in many years. Probably since Heath Shuler. Tennessee is as talented on both sides of the ball as anybody in the country. They have NFL prospects 2 and 3 deep at literally every position....and most of 'em are still just pups. Watch out for the Vols in 2015. I'm telling you they're going to hurt some feelings in the SEC this year...maybe more.

Do you think they beat UGA for the East?

I think the Vols will certainly be in the mix to win the East. Georgia will have to travel to Neyland and beat 'em in Knoxville.

I didn't know they had to play them in Knoxville, that makes it more interesting. I like Marquez North quite a bit, as well as Derek Barnett (should enter the 2017 class as a junior entry), but my favorite Tennessee prospect is the RB Jalen Hurd. He's extremely talented. In fact, that whole RB class that were freshman last year is going to be loaded.

My CU Buffs had a great Samoan QB named Sal Aunese. He died of cancer in 1989, the year after I graduated from CU, and then my Buffs won the national title in 1990. Hard to believe 25 years have gone by. I really like Liufau, and hope he can get the Buffs turned around.

I got a better look at him in his game against the UCLA Bruins and man did they have all the hallmarks of a poorly coached team. Offensive linemen don't know the snap count. Coaches are sending in substitutions with like 20 seconds left in the half and no timeouts with a live clock that seemingly nobody realizes is live until it's too late. Receivers are running bad routes, dropping footballs, taking too long before they look back for the football. Some receivers refusing to break off their routes and come back to the quarterback when he's scrambling. Most of them didn't get open against man coverage. He's making the right call to throw with good timing to the flats underneath the shell to create some momentum but Eric Kendricks is turning unfavorable spacing into favorable spacing consistently. It was fun to watch big DT Kenny Clark of UCLA (file that name away for later) reach out his arms and completely truck over the center, but I'm not sure it was so fun for Liufau who was running for his damn life because of poor blocking everywhere.

And for all that they tied the Bruins up 31-31 to go into overtime, thanks to their consistent ability to space out the UCLA defense with the zone-read and read-option, and the smaller, shiftier Colorado runners' ability to pick out lanes in open spaces. Plus Sefo Liufau's arm.

There's plenty to nitpick about him. He needs to work on his footwork in the pocket a lot. He was obviously running for his life back there but there needs to be better rhyme and reason to the way he handles the pocket. He needs to cut down the time it takes before he makes a throw as well. Too many snaps where he's a beat too late. Finally he just needs to cut down on the occasional high or wide throws. I wouldn't say he has poor accuracy as he consistently completes like 65% of his passes, and he can fit that ball into REALLY tight windows (one of the things you love about him), but a few throws his accuracy is just plain dangerous and confusing. That's probably a footwork/weight transfer thing.

They need to get him some damn help too because it's hard to imagine him making these improvements with the poor execution I saw on that offensive unit.

I am watching Hackenberg as Penn State plays Temple today. He looked pretty decent last year, but his throws are pretty inconsistent. He made a beautiful pass to a receiver and then came back and threw a screen pass to a running back that short hopped in front of him. Hackenburg also looks slow in escaping from the pocket and gets happy feet when pressured. I think he's been sacked four times already in the first half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hackenberg sucks

I think Hackenberg just dropped out of the first round. He was sacked ten times. Mel Kiper had him #8 overall on his 2016 board and the second best QB....I don't think so.

Jeremy Johnson had an atrocious game. The UL freshman will play some position in the NFL.

He's young and trying to make big plays. His first start "being the guy" and not just filling in for Nick Marshall. He has too much talent not to develop into a 1st round

Back
Top Bottom