Slimm's 2018 Cornerbacks (Underclassman)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, May 10, 2017.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick / Alabama / 6'0", 204 [#8 overall]

2. Denzel Ward / Ohio St. / 5'11", 183 [#12 overall]

3. Jaire Alexander / Louisville / 5'10", 196 [#27 overall]

4. Josh Jackson / Iowa / 6'0", 196 [#28 overall]

5. Isaiah Oliver / Colorado / 6'0", 201 [#34 overall]

6. Carlton Davis / Auburn / 6'1", 206 [#49 overall]

7. Holton Hill / Texas / 6'2", 196 [#61 overall]

8. Mike Hughes / UCF / 5'10", 189 [#74 overall]

9. Quenton Meeks / Stanford / 6'1", 209 [#105 overall]

10. Donte Jackson / LSU / 5'10", 178 [#231 overall]

11. Rashaan Gaulden / Tennessee / 6'1", 197 [#232 overall]

12. D.J. Reed / Kansas St. / 5'9", 188 [#237 overall]

13. Tarvarus McFadden / Florida St. / 6'2", 204 [#253 overall]

14. Kevin Toliver / LSU / 6'2", 192 [#254 overall]

15. Nick Nelson / Wisconsin / 5'11", 200 [#278 overall]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Hey Slimm, what's your take on North Dakota - CB - Deion Harris? And thank you, as usual, for all your efforts and hard work

3. TedSlimmJr

Don't know of the kid. I'll round out my rankings in the coming months with a few FCS prospects after I review my FCS tape. Will certainly take a look at him and let you know how it works out.

dolfan91 likes this.
  4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a lot like Jalen Ramsey...can play any position in the back end and excel at it.

fininpsl likes this.
  5. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Slimm, I'm seeing Fitzpatrick as the best Alabama DB prospect of the Saban era. Looks like a top-15 lock, likely top 10. Are there any recent Alabama DB's you'd rank ahead of Fitzpatrick?

6. TedSlimmJr

Probably not. Let you in on a little secret though....coaches and teammates like to refer to him as Sixpatrick. That's all you need to know.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  7. j-off-her-doll

Not a ringing endorsement. Still, unlike Humphrey, Fitzpatrick makes a lot of plays.

Also like what I've seen from Iman Marshall. Going through your player rankings at this time of the year is always one of my favorite parts of the entire process.

8. TedSlimmJr

Apologize for not being more clear. It was meant absolutely as a ringing endorsement.

He earned the Sixpatrick moniker because he has so many pick sixes. He's had 4 pick sixes in just his first 2 seasons.

Maybe they need to call him Picksixpatrick instead.

9. TedSlimmJr

Minkah is everything Marlon Humphrey was from a physical talent aspect. Just with better instincts, ball skills and technique.

Which is why he's more versatile. Minkah can play boundary, star or safety.

fininpsl and j-off-her-doll like this.
  10. j-off-her-doll

That's my bad. I should have been able to put one and one together. I appreciate the clarification, Slimm. He'll be one of the players I follow closest in 2017.

11. TedSlimmJr

+ Long, athletic, lengthy corner
    + Uses long arms to disengage stalk blocks easily at the FCS level
    + Has some strength to jar receivers at the LOS when allowed to press
    + Built more for press man, but spends most of his time in zone
    + Shows good awareness in zone and has learned how to have his eyes in the right place most of the time, which resulted in all those pick sixes in huge situations at the end of games for NDSU
    + Upside....still improving. Improved a lot from sophomore to junior year after watching all of his tape
    + I can tell he watches film and is eager to improve at his craft
    + Fluid hips to transition
    + Plays with great energy and willing to tackle

- Difficult to evaluate due to level of competition
    - Recovery speed isn't great
    - Would like to see him in more one-on-one situations in man coverage down the field. Unclear how he plays a receiver at the top of the route
    - Want to see him tested in 50/50 jumpball situations to really gauge how he plays the football and test those ball skills
    - Doesn't get tested on deeper routes
    - Needs to add more weight to his frame for the next level
    - Doesn't return kicks or punts

Brings certain things to the table in terms of length and intangibles that will help him. Experienced at the FCS level. Will play special teams as a gunner, but doesn't provide any value as a returner. I'd like to see him in an All-Star setting against better competition matched up in man coverage and see how he performs in situations that make him uncomfortable. How fast he runs and tests out athletically is going to be important for him. I'd stamp him with a 4th round grade right now. Will be a Senior so look for him on my list of Senior corners to see where he stacks up at the moment.

Stoobz and dolfan91 like this.
  12. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

. Thanks Slimm, I saw a pre season ranking that had him ranked in the top 20 players for 2017. I thought it was unusual, so I thought I'd ask someone I respect for more insite on him. I truly appreciate you doing due diligence on him and posting your analysis of his skill set. Much appreciated!!!

Stoobz likes this.
  13. TedSlimmJr

Ryan Pulley out for the year after tearing his pectoral last night vs. Florida A&M. Damn I hate that.

On another note, Simmie Cobbs absolutely destroyed Denzel Ward. Cobbs size and strength was a total mismatch. Sheffield couldn't cover him either.

14. TedSlimmJr

By the way, Harris suffered a season ending knee injury about a month ago.

We'll see what he decides to do in terms of eligibility, but he does still have a redshirt year he can use. Or he may go ahead and choose to enter the draft.

15. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I'm sorry to hear that. His name popped up on another 2018 draft list, that I saw, just about a week ago. Hope he recovers.

16. TedSlimmJr

Holton Hill is a stud. Give me as many of those as my roster can hold.

17. j-off-her-doll

Big, strong, fluid, instinctive, I agree. Know anything about his suspension? 1st RD talent.

18. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

Can't go wrong with any of the top 3 corners listed. All look to be scheme fluid. Miami will be tempted, for sure.

19. TedSlimmJr

Failed drug test. Supposedly his 3rd. Failed two when Charlie Strong was there.

20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Becoming a really big fan of Jaire Alexander. He's very impressive in every respect.

21. j-off-her-doll

Juan Thornhill has come out of nowhere and asserted himself as one of my favorite UC CB's; though, I think he should return, because last year was his first year at CB since he was a freshman in high school. He was a 3-time all state basketball player, and he should jump near 40" (check some of his dunks). He's very agile, has good ball skills, and he tackles well/tries. He played WR, QB, and Safety in high school. He's been productive in all phases in 2017, and I think he deserved better than 3rd Team ACC.

If he declares, I'd draft his tools Day 2, but I think he can break into the 1st with his talent and another year of development.

ckparrothead likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Boy you're right about that. Strong prospect.

23. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Holton Hill? With his off field issues, where do you see him being drafted? I’m not sure I’d draft him 1st round in spite of his talent.

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Holton Hill? With his off field issues, where do you see him being drafted? I’m not sure I’d draft him 1st round in spite of his talent.

25. TedSlimmJr

I wouldn't think he'd fall past the first 75 picks or so. Getting a pretty decent steal on the player if you can get him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

26. ckparrothead

Most of the corners in that top 10 are really excellent. Isaiah Oliver is another one I started looking at, and man is he good.

And Kentucky's Chris Westry definitely deserves mention here. He's 6'4" with all that wing span, and he runs as fast as Deebo Samuel.

BobDole and NoblePhin like this.
  27. BobDole

This is looking like a real strong group. Tons of talent. I see multiple guys off this list making a switch to safety.

28. ckparrothead

I would have CB Mike Hughes of UCF right there with any corner you'd think about taking in the 2nd round, perhaps even with Joshua Jackson and Minkah Fitzpatrick as a 1st rounder.

He's been a Herculean player ever since high school. Won two North Carolina state championships as a QB, coach says he'd have won a third if the ball bounced a different way. Played 11 games as a true freshman for UNC, averaging 35 yards on 3 punt returns. His high school coach says he's coached four NFL players and been coaching for 27 years and Mike Hughes is pound for pound the best football player he's ever coached.

Hughes' Garden City Community College coach calls him a "gift from God". Won his conference DPOY award and helped GCCC win the JUCO national championship, as the team's #1 CB but also a Slot WR, RB, PR, and KR (900 all purpose yards and 7 TDs).

I didn't know any of that before I started watching his UCF tape. But I started watching him at UCF and was blown away by how well he covers in press AND off, zone and man, and how excitingly aggressive he is on the forward attack when going after the ball carrier or blocker. He's a bit small-ish, under 5'11" and only like 190 lbs. But he's got the ability to play on the outside, and his size, agility make him an excellent candidate to move inside as well. In today's league where so much damage is done from the slot, having a guy who can move inside and not just be a body but actually be good there is incredibly valuable. Think Chris Harris Jr of the Denver Broncos.

And none of that is to say anything about his punt and kick return abilities, which are significant. He had FOUR return TDs this year, counting an INT return for TD which is a lot like having a punt return TD. He had four INTs this year, bunch of PBUs. He was a huge cog on an undefeated team which just embarrassed Auburn on the national stage.

The reason he had to leave UNC was because he got into a fight at a frat party and ended up charged with misdemeanor assault, with the charges being dropped based on community service. He was going to transfer from GCCC to South Carolina, but the timing of him finishing his Associates Degree at GCCC didn't match up with South Carolina's requirements. The GCCC head coach personally convinced Hughes to transfer to UCF because he has a very close relationship with one of the defensive coaches on UCF. Hughes took a visit and fell in love with the campus.

Obviously any time you get into a legal situation and have to transfer out of a school, your hackles rise a bit. When you see a planned transfer from JUCO to a major program go awry, that's another flag. But his coaches all rave about his character, his work ethic.

I had someone point out to me that they saw a UCF game where he went down after a play and stopped play so he was forced to leave the field, and rather than have him off the field for one snap, Scott Frost burned a timeout so that Mike Hughes could get back out there. That's how important he was. When South Florida played UCF, Quinton Flowers threw for 500 yards on that defense. Only one catch came on Hughes though. It was a tough cover situation for Hughes (man coverage vs a bench route from the innermost slot in trips, with the QB having extra time to get the ball out there), but Hughes had superb coverage and quite frankly I don't know how Darnell Saloman (6'3" & 215 lbs) caught that football.

But this is the son of a bitch, this guy Mike Hughes, he's the one that ran back a 95 yard kickoff return TD with 40 seconds left in the game after South Florida had tied the game 42-42. Unbelievable finish to that rivalry game.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Lovethefish and Liphinphan like this.
  29. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

Hey Slim- I was watching some Va Tech Trumane Edmunds tape vs Miami and Clemson thinking he might last to top Rd2,
    I ran into #36 CB Adonis Alexander.. I was sort of blown away - looks like a big kid with decent hips and fast enough. Anything on this kid?
    THANKS AS ALWAYS-

30. TedSlimmJr

Should be a lot better than he is. Has always had games where he looks like one of the top CB's in the country, but most of the time gets out played by all the other Virginia Tech DB's....who are all good NFL prospects and more consistent.

Has the length that most teams froth at the mouth over. Stays in the doghouse with the coaching staff and is usually good for a few suspensions.

He won't be in this draft anyway. He'll return to school to play his senior year and have a chance to improve on some things. Mainly not getting suspended.

Lovethefish and j-off-her-doll like this.
  31. BobDole

The more I look at this group, the more I agree with this ... although now it's top 9 since Marshall went back. The fall off is after McFadden and Slimm nailed the rankings here IMO. All 9 could go in the first 2 rounds. Looking for one or so of them to fall seems like a good idea.

Wish we were more in the corner market this go around. I wouldn't be surprised if we ignored the position entirely. The dolphins have an uncanny ability of not taking advantage of what the draft has to offer due to more glaring needs. One of these days our positions of need will match up with draft depth.

32. TedSlimmJr

I'm not a Westry fan because he won't tackle. Got benched for Lonnie Johnson because his tackling was so bad. I like the Johnson kid better. I'm about 50% done with my DB's for next year's class.

33. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

and we got the number 1 underclassman!