Slimm's 2018 Cornerbacks (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Cornerbacks (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Minkah Fitzpatrick / Alabama / 6'0", 204 [#8 overall]

2. Denzel Ward / Ohio St. / 5'11", 183 [#12 overall]

3. Jaire Alexander / Louisville / 5'10", 196 [#27 overall]

4. Josh Jackson / Iowa / 6'0", 196 [#28 overall]

5. Isaiah Oliver / Colorado / 6'0", 201 [#34 overall]

6. Carlton Davis / Auburn / 6'1", 206 [#49 overall]

7. Holton Hill / Texas / 6'2", 196 [#61 overall]

8. Mike Hughes / UCF / 5'10", 189 [#74 overall]

9. Quenton Meeks / Stanford / 6'1", 209 [#105 overall]

10. Donte Jackson / LSU / 5'10", 178 [#231 overall]

11. Rashaan Gaulden / Tennessee / 6'1", 197 [#232 overall]

12. D.J. Reed / Kansas St. / 5'9", 188 [#237 overall]

13. Tarvarus McFadden / Florida St. / 6'2", 204 [#253 overall]

14. Kevin Toliver / LSU / 6'2", 192 [#254 overall]

15. Nick Nelson / Wisconsin / 5'11", 200 [#278 overall]

Last edited:
Hey Slimm, what's your take on North Dakota - CB - Deion Harris? And thank you, as usual, for all your efforts and hard work

Hey Slimm, what's your take on North Dakota - CB - Deion Harris? And thank you, as usual, for all your efforts and hard work

Don't know of the kid. I'll round out my rankings in the coming months with a few FCS prospects after I review my FCS tape. Will certainly take a look at him and let you know how it works out.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a lot like Jalen Ramsey...can play any position in the back end and excel at it.

Slimm, I'm seeing Fitzpatrick as the best Alabama DB prospect of the Saban era. Looks like a top-15 lock, likely top 10. Are there any recent Alabama DB's you'd rank ahead of Fitzpatrick?

Slimm, I'm seeing Fitzpatrick as the best Alabama DB prospect of the Saban era. Looks like a top-15 lock, likely top 10. Are there any recent Alabama DB's you'd rank ahead of Fitzpatrick?

Probably not. Let you in on a little secret though....coaches and teammates like to refer to him as Sixpatrick. That's all you need to know.

Probably not. Let you in on a little secret though....coaches and teammates like to refer to him as Sixpatrick. That's all you need to know.

Not a ringing endorsement. Still, unlike Humphrey, Fitzpatrick makes a lot of plays.

Also like what I've seen from Iman Marshall. Going through your player rankings at this time of the year is always one of my favorite parts of the entire process.

Not a ringing endorsement. Still, unlike Humphrey, Fitzpatrick makes a lot of plays.

Also like what I've seen from Iman Marshall. Going through your player rankings at this time of the year is always one of my favorite parts of the entire process.

Apologize for not being more clear. It was meant absolutely as a ringing endorsement.

He earned the Sixpatrick moniker because he has so many pick sixes. He's had 4 pick sixes in just his first 2 seasons.

Maybe they need to call him Picksixpatrick instead.

Minkah is everything Marlon Humphrey was from a physical talent aspect. Just with better instincts, ball skills and technique.

Which is why he's more versatile. Minkah can play boundary, star or safety.

Apologize for not being more clear. It was meant absolutely as a ringing endorsement.

He earned the Sixpatrick moniker because he has so many pick sixes. He's had 4 pick sixes in just his first 2 seasons.

Maybe they need to call him Picksixpatrick instead.

That's my bad. I should have been able to put one and one together. I appreciate the clarification, Slimm. He'll be one of the players I follow closest in 2017.

+ Long, athletic, lengthy corner
+ Uses long arms to disengage stalk blocks easily at the FCS level
+ Has some strength to jar receivers at the LOS when allowed to press
+ Built more for press man, but spends most of his time in zone
+ Shows good awareness in zone and has learned how to have his eyes in the right place most of the time, which resulted in all those pick sixes in huge situations at the end of games for NDSU
+ Upside....still improving. Improved a lot from sophomore to junior year after watching all of his tape
+ I can tell he watches film and is eager to improve at his craft
+ Fluid hips to transition
+ Plays with great energy and willing to tackle

- Difficult to evaluate due to level of competition
- Recovery speed isn't great
- Would like to see him in more one-on-one situations in man coverage down the field. Unclear how he plays a receiver at the top of the route
- Want to see him tested in 50/50 jumpball situations to really gauge how he plays the football and test those ball skills
- Doesn't get tested on deeper routes
- Needs to add more weight to his frame for the next level
- Doesn't return kicks or punts

Brings certain things to the table in terms of length and intangibles that will help him. Experienced at the FCS level. Will play special teams as a gunner, but doesn't provide any value as a returner. I'd like to see him in an All-Star setting against better competition matched up in man coverage and see how he performs in situations that make him uncomfortable. How fast he runs and tests out athletically is going to be important for him. I'd stamp him with a 4th round grade right now. Will be a Senior so look for him on my list of Senior corners to see where he stacks up at the moment.

+ Long, athletic, lengthy corner
+ Uses long arms to disengage stalk blocks easily at the FCS level
+ Has some strength to jar receivers at the LOS when allowed to press
+ Built more for press man, but spends most of his time in zone
+ Shows good awareness in zone and has learned how to have his eyes in the right place most of the time, which resulted in all those pick sixes in huge situations at the end of games for NDSU
+ Upside....still improving. Improved a lot from sophomore to junior year after watching all of his tape
+ I can tell he watches film and is eager to improve at his craft
+ Fluid hips to transition
+ Plays with great energy and willing to tackle

- Difficult to evaluate due to level of competition
- Recovery speed isn't great
- Would like to see him in more one-on-one situations in man coverage down the field. Unclear how he plays a receiver at the top of the route
- Want to see him tested in 50/50 jumpball situations to really gauge how he plays the football and test those ball skills
- Doesn't get tested on deeper routes
- Needs to add more weight to his frame for the next level
- Doesn't return kicks or punts

Brings certain things to the table in terms of length and intangibles that will help him. Experienced at the FCS level. Will play special teams as a gunner, but doesn't provide any value as a returner. I'd like to see him in an All-Star setting against better competition matched up in man coverage and see how he performs in situations that make him uncomfortable. How fast he runs and tests out athletically is going to be important for him. I'd stamp him with a 4th round grade right now. Will be a Senior so look for him on my list of Senior corners to see where he stacks up at the moment.
. Thanks Slimm, I saw a pre season ranking that had him ranked in the top 20 players for 2017. I thought it was unusual, so I thought I'd ask someone I respect for more insite on him. I truly appreciate you doing due diligence on him and posting your analysis of his skill set. Much appreciated!!!

Ryan Pulley out for the year after tearing his pectoral last night vs. Florida A&M. Damn I hate that.

On another note, Simmie Cobbs absolutely destroyed Denzel Ward. Cobbs size and strength was a total mismatch. Sheffield couldn't cover him either.

By the way, Harris suffered a season ending knee injury about a month ago.

We'll see what he decides to do in terms of eligibility, but he does still have a redshirt year he can use. Or he may go ahead and choose to enter the draft.

By the way, Harris suffered a season ending knee injury about a month ago.

We'll see what he decides to do in terms of eligibility, but he does still have a redshirt year he can use. Or he may go ahead and choose to enter the draft.
I'm sorry to hear that. His name popped up on another 2018 draft list, that I saw, just about a week ago. Hope he recovers.

Back
Top Bottom