Slimm's 2018 Offensive Line (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Offensive Line (Seniors)

Incidentally Phil Savage and his crew earned their money identifying LT Timon Parris of Stony Brook. Watch his South Florida game. He's a find.

Hernandez has always been excellent. The top 5 Senior guards here have all played extremely well this season.

Wynn is playing left tackle but I think he'd fit into that group as well if he played on the interior.

Hernandez has always been excellent. The top 5 Senior guards here have all played extremely well this season.

Wynn is playing left tackle but I think he'd fit into that group as well if he played on the interior.

I've been keeping an eye on Wynn, interesting player with some power and movement ability. Could have value imo as a challenger to start at OG and as an OT backup- I'd rather have him backing up Tunsil than some taller stiff like Sam Young. Wynn is only 6-2 but he can play, at OG and he's proving it at LT for Georgia. Solid player.

I'm unclear on whether Larry Allen III of Harvard is going to get another year at Harvard or not.

If not, then I think he's a really intriguing prospect and not just because of his bloodlines. With his explosiveness and mobility, I'd actually like to see him tried at Center.

Defiantly think we need a stud center with a nasty streak in him. Tired of seeing d lineman in our backfield right up the gut so fast.

I took a look at David DeCastro from back in 2011 just as a refresher, as DeCastro was a 1st round guard that has definitely been worth the 1st round pick.

DeCastro was not a fast player. Neither is Quenton Nelson.

But unlike Nelson, I was a pretty big fan of drafting DeCastro in the 1st round.

The reason why is ultimately when you watch the two, you come away noticing how much better DeCastro is on the move. He may not have been a fast player but that gear-less, one-step pulling ability of his was unique. He was maneuverable into space, and chopped his feet really well either in space or while engaged in the block. It wasn't coincidental when DeCastro went out and scored 84th percentile on the shuttle drill, or 98th percentile on the cone drill.

Quenton Nelson comes off as more of the lumbering type, with that cumbersome upper body that takes a while to get out on the move into a pull. He has longer, more explosive single strides, from a wider base.

My preference is usually for the former, all things being equal. But all things are not always equal when you're comparing the more maneuverable short-strider to the more explosive long-strider with the wider base. Power and anchor are usually on the side of the latter. But in this case that's where DeCastro was kind of unique. He had all that same power, all that same anchor.

It's hard not to see Nelson as the inferior prospect. But I suppose he's just a junior, and could develop.

Personally I don't see the point drafting Quenton Nelson high when I can get hold of a Will Hernandez much cheaper.

Despite his size, I really like Michigan State C Brian Allen.

When I go to watch L.J. Scott footage from 2017, his center Allen pops out constantly. He's throwing guys on the ground every fourth play. He's a real nasty piece of work. So maneuverable, explosive, with such good hand and leverage.

I've talked up Rutgers DT Sebastian Joseph before because I really appreciate his build, the way he moves, and especially his hands and the way he's able to grip onto and rip offensive linemen away from him. He reminds me of an ex-Alabama player, Dalvin Tomlinson.

Well I'm watching Sebastian Joseph face up on Brian Allen for a game and the hands are still there for Joseph, he's trying to do what he wants to do, it's just that Allen isn't having it, for the most part. Maybe two snaps, Joseph was able to do what he wanted to do with his hands. Otherwise Allen refuses to be thrown off balance, and he has that knack for recovering position because of how quickly he moves his feet.

Just such a nasty little thing, the way he's constantly putting guys on the ground.

I think the reason he's down on the charts has to be because of the size, but it doesn't bother me as much because of the NFL trends. Take the Michigan game. He had zero, absolutely zero trouble with Maurice Hurst on the occasions they faced up. But he struggled a little bit whenever he got matched up singly against the gargantuan Bryan Mone (6'4" & 325 lbs), who probably won't be drafted.

But in today's NFL he's going to see a lot more Maurice Hurst than Bryan Mone, and when he does see the latter, he'll generally have help as a center.

He went up against a hell of a slate of defensive linemen in 2017 and he didn't seem overwhelmed by any of them. You've got headliners like Maurice Hurst, DreMont Jones, Nick Bosa, etc...but also guys like Sebastian Joseph, Jerry Tillery, Bryan Mone, Nathan Bazata, Tracy Sprinkle, Tyler Lancaster, etc.

I like him.

If UCF left tackle Aaron Evans isn't an NFL left tackle, he's still an NFL something.

Measured with a nice frame, good feed, great attitude and blocking style. I will take that for my offensive line all day.

LT Korey Cunningham of Cincinnati is really, really good.

Not sure why he's not been getting more play before this. This is a 7th rounder?? He's a freak! Freaks don't go 7th round. Especially if they have this much tape burying people, and being completely impregnable on speed rush.

Compelling in the ground game because he buries people and has ridiculous mobility and reach. Really compelling on screens for all of the above reasons. Virtually impregnable via speed rush because of mobility and reach. Significant tools at his disposal to help him clean up the vulnerabilities on his inside post leg. What am I missing? This is a Day 2 player. Granted I've not watched a TON of film here, but I'm not sure I need to either.

Back
Top Bottom