Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Is it me or does it seem like he "snaps his wrist" to throw? He doesn't seem to be using his torso/upper body on his throws..just snap the wrist and the ball is gone.

Correct. Not the ideal flexibility or weight transfer. An unorthodox delivery that works for him. I don't think pro coaches would try and break him down and build him back up, but I think they will keep working with him to get him consistent setting his feet before the throw, especially throws to his left, and I think that will help him curtail the more bizarre aspects of his delivery.

I don't think it's something you're going to criticize TOO much unless the guy can't throw left or can't throw vertically, or unless he's unable to generate heat on his passes. The unorthodox style of his delivery is actually part of what makes him so attractive. He has a great pure arm, so he can throw the ball on the run, and he has the snappiest, quickest delivery in the draft.

Correct. Not the ideal flexibility or weight transfer. An unorthodox delivery that works for him. I don't think pro coaches would try and break him down and build him back up, but I think they will keep working with him to get him consistent setting his feet before the throw, especially throws to his left, and I think that will help him curtail the more bizarre aspects of his delivery.

I don't think it's something you're going to criticize TOO much unless the guy can't throw left or can't throw vertically, or unless he's unable to generate heat on his passes. The unorthodox style of his delivery is actually part of what makes him so attractive. He has a great pure arm, so he can throw the ball on the run, and he has the snappiest, quickest delivery in the draft.

That arm is amazing! I actually had to rewind and watch some of his throws in slow-mo because i didn't see the ball leave his hand. On a few throws i thought it was a fake where he pulled the ball back down. LOL!!!

Good Stuff! Curious to see where his talent takes him.

I think that some will think him to be another Jordan Lynch or Chandler Harnish type...not destined to make it. I think that could be a mistake, but the delivery is so unorthodox I could also see him being dismissed altogether. He's exploring the CFL and even European football leagues.

Congrats on that Streveler kid CK. Nice find. He's a baller. I'd put him after Stidham and above Ferguson. Of course he wont go there but if Benkert is gone by our 6th I would take him there.

Watching Streveler, I like his quick release although unorthodox. Wouldn’t mind taking a flier on him in the later rounds.

You can't really make much more of a splash than Kyle Kempt has made since taking over for Jacob Park against #3 ranked Oklahoma, leading the team to victory behind 18 of 24 passing for 343 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs. He followed up with an efficient game against Kansas, routing them 45-0. Now he's beating the tar out of Texas Tech on 19 of 25 for 168 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs passing. The senior is on a truly incredible run.

He looks the part at 6'5" and 210 lbs with smooth footwork. He throws a very catchable football and obviously he's accurate (50 of 69 thus far). Iowa State has some talent at the WR spots and they do a great job coming back down the stem to work for the football, but he also does a good job with his decision making, timing, and placement to let them do their jobs. Some of those studs he's throwing to are pretty tall and he knows how to get the ball to them high to let them get it. He turns and hits the flat really well whether it's a back or a screen. He's physically strong and tough, runs the football on designed runs and does OK with it even though he's not necessarily a great athlete. He'll block when the play swings back around on him. They don't ask him to do a ton in the way of managing a huddle, play calling, etc. He does have to adjust the play according to what he's seeing in the defense. He just does a really good job from what I can tell letting the offense and the skill players work for him.

But how much mental toughness do you have to have to be getting your FIRST action as an FBS player IN OKLAHOMA against the #3 college football team in the nation, get down 14-0 on the scoreboard, and then just go to work and have just about a perfect day en route to one of the biggest upsets I've ever seen. And he hasn't taken his foot off the gas pedal since.

This guy benefits from all the stuff everyone usually complains about with this type of offense. There's no sugar coating that. Cheap yardage and completions via screens, coaches calling changes from the sideline, spread concepts, shotgun, etc. But so many of the other guys out there are doing the same stuff. This guy is generally managing pressure well, putting the ball on the money, and hurting teams vertically. It's an impressive run and I'm anxious to see how he finishes out the year.

I decided to go back and evaluate every game Kyle Kempt has played this season, and have added him among my Senior crop of quarterbacks.

That kid gets it. His body language and decision making are so mature. Keeps your offense on schedule. Where he gets into trouble is if he has to improvise.

In all honesty, he might be the safest bet on the entire list to have a long career as a backup in the NFL.

He's very reminiscent of Frank Reich at Maryland. Identical size and incredible college career symmetry being buried on the depth chart. I remember the comeback Reich led against Miami in the early 80's...it looked a lot like Kempt's game against the Sooners.

Reich of course would eventually lead the biggest comeback in NFL history against the Oilers in the playoffs. These are the types of things I could see in Kempt's future as a clipboard holder at the next level.

If some of the other much more heralded and physically talented quarterbacks had this kid's body language and decision making, they'd literally be can't miss prospects.

I decided to go back and evaluate every game Kyle Kempt has played this season, and have added him among my Senior crop of quarterbacks.

That kid gets it. His body language and decision making are so mature. Keeps your offense on schedule. Where he gets into trouble is if he has to improvise.

In all honesty, he might be the safest bet on the entire list to have a long career as a backup in the NFL.

He's very reminiscent of Frank Reich at Maryland. Identical size and incredible college career symmetry being buried on the depth chart. I remember the comeback Reich led against Miami in the early 80's...it looked a lot like Kempt's game against the Sooners.

Reich of course would eventually lead the biggest comeback in NFL history against the Oilers in the playoffs. These are the types of things I could see in Kempt's future as a clipboard holder at the next level.

If some of the other much more heralded and physically talented quarterbacks had this kid's body language and decision making, they'd literally be can't miss prospects.

Right on. That's where I end up seeing him as well, career backup. He's got enough arm talent. As you say, he does not improvise well. He's prone to throwing up some ducks. But I see vested starters doing that every now and again. He's just so damned mature and won't...back...down. That's what stands out about him every time I watch, and that includes yesterday.

The one thing is...some of these qualities we're talking about on this 6'5" guy, the circumstances, the language, the intelligence, and the profile on him...my goodness doesn't it remind you of someone else not named Frank Reich?

That's the thing that screws me up about him because we're talking about a kid that got THE first start of his collegiate career a third of the way through 2017...and has started 9 games! He's an infant, in terms of experience level. We are sitting here talking about what he is and what he does well and doesn't do well, and you can't fault us because that forms the basis of evaluation and projection, but a guy only 9 games into his budding post-High School career COULD only just now be getting started on where he is going to end up, in terms of his decision making and even something as intrinsic as how well he spins the football.

I happen to think that all great NFL quarterbacks are, a favorite term of Pat Riley's, "lightning bolts from God". I try not to get stuck on trying to fit molds that way, because they're all unique. But this Computer Science major strikes a few eerily similar notes for me.

The four non-elite level quarterbacks that I've gravitated toward for Miami to potentially target (Riley Ferguson, Brandon Silvers, Chris Streveler, Kyle Kempt) all share a certain characteristic and that is competitive will, balls of steel, whatever you want to call it. All four of them will lead their offense into a game where they should not be competitive, and they seem to find a way to make themselves competitive.

They're all overachievers. They've all been dealt significant setbacks in their college careers, and found a way to turn it around. I don't think it's a coincidence that their teams ended up overachieving, or finding a way to almost always be competitive even while being outplayed.

My small school sleeper pick, Texas A&M-Commerce QB Luis Perez, Harlon Hill winner, put up ridiculous numbers. Might be worth a 7th round pick or sign him up as an UDFA:

Texas A&M-Commerce's Luis Perez wins 2017 Harlon Hill Trophy
Harlon Hill Award Committee
Last Updated - Dec 14, 2017 13:56 EST
Contact |Archive |RSS

FLORENCE, Ala. -- Texas A&M University-Commerce senior quarterback Luis Perez of Chula Vista, California has claimed the 2017 Harlon Hill Trophy as the Division II College Football Player of the Year.

Perez received 198 total points and held a commanding 63-point margin over Gannon University junior running back Marc Jones at 135. Slippery Rock University senior defensive lineman Marcus Martin nished third at 96, marking the highest finish by a defensive lineman in the award's 32-year history.

The award winner is determined in voting by the Division II sports information directors.

Perez, who has led Texas A&M-Commerce to a 13-1 record and into Saturday's (Dec. 16) NCAA Division II National Championship Game, was on 85 of the 106 total ballots cast. He will be just the seventh Hill winner to also play in the Division II National Championship Game in the same season that he won the award. Five of the previous Hill winners, Jeff Bentrim of North Dakota State (1986), Chris Simdorn of North Dakota State (1990), Ronnie West of Pittsburg State (1991), Ronald McKinnon of North Alabama (1995) and Curt Anes of Grand Valley State (2002) also led their teams to the national championship the day after winning the Hill Trophy. Pittsburg State's Ronald Moore (1992) is the only Hill winner to play on the losing team in the championship game.

The Hill Trophy will be presented to Perez on Friday, January 5 at a ceremony on the campus of the University of North Alabama, Hill's alma mater.

The Harlon Hill Trophy is sponsored by Herff Jones, the Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa and the University of North Alabama.

Perez has thrown for 4,678 yards and 44 touchdowns this season, while completing better than 70 percent of his pass attempts. He has completed 398 of 566 passes leads Division II in total passing yards (4,678), passing yards per game (334.0) and passing touchdowns (44). He is ranked third in points responsible for (272), sixth in points responsible for per game (19.4), sixth in total offense (329.2) and tenth in passing efficiency (161.8).

Last edited:
Rudolph is better than I thought he was. I've downgraded Big 12 quarterbacks for a decade due to the defensive ineptitude in that conference. Normally it pays off. But this guy processes quicker and makes excellent downfield pro-type dagger throws. He also has very good placement on short out turning routes, enabling the receiver or back to turn and go.

In short, everything about his game looks authoritative.

It's true they don't explore the middle of the field, as Tannenbombs posted. That's been a Big 12 tendency for that decade. But at least the conference is not as reliant on bubble screens as it was for a half decade or more.

The main reason most Big-12 offenses don't explore the middle of the field boils down to Choice/Switch. That's all it is. Fundamental concepts of the Run-and-Shoot and 4 verts concept.

The receiver is going to make the choice to break outwards toward the sidelines or turn it into a streak if he sees inside leverage by the DB.

Most Big-12 receivers aren't likely to make the choice to run into the middle of the field towards those waiting safeties and linebackers. They want no part of that. A really skinny skinny post is typically the best you'll get.

Oklahoma and Iowa St. do it a little different. Both in terms of personnel package and alignment.

This is Brandon Silvers, one of the guys Slimm has been putting up on his board for over a year, since before he was on anyone's radar.

I think he's going to draw Adam Gase's eye this week because of the way he reads the field, moves the defense with his eyes, throws with anticipation. He's got NFL velocity and spin, and the confidence to really "let it go" when he rips it. There's a quality to that, a nuance. He throws it during games the way coaches at the Combine keep telling the quarterbacks to throw it, pushing the ball to the very edge of the sideline, to the very edge of the route. He can run. He's got good size. He does NFL things out there.

They're looking for a backup, and if you're going to get tossed out there for an injured Ryan Tannehill you've got to have balls of steel. The Troy State quarterback who can go out there and give National Championship winner Clemson a run for their money, or can go out there and BEAT LSU...has balls of steel.

Here's some qualities I would like:

Arm Strength
Throws to spots
Good pocket awareness/Escapability

Some catapult data from the practices showed that Josh Allen had the highest max rotation (710 RPMs) on the South squad, and that Brandon Silvers had the highest max rotation (770 RPMs!) on the North squad.

That's the thing about Silvers when you watch him, he really is 100% confident in his accuracy to where he will chuck the **** out of the ball on every throw where it's appropriate. He only takes some off the rotation if it's the right thing to do from a touch standpoint.

Believe it or not, that's not common. Most guys have sort of a comfort zone where they like to stay in order to maintain their accuracy, and it's pretty well below their max ability to drive the football. They reserve the extra torque for throws they know they need it. Brandon Silvers and Josh Allen don't do that. They believe in their arm strength and accuracy.

Kyle Kempt may be returning to Iowa St. next year if they can get the petition pushed through the NCAA. They don't have an answer back yet. Wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom