Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

This is Brandon Silvers, one of the guys Slimm has been putting up on his board for over a year, since before he was on anyone's radar.

I think he's going to draw Adam Gase's eye this week because of the way he reads the field, moves the defense with his eyes, throws with anticipation. He's got NFL velocity and spin, and the confidence to really "let it go" when he rips it. There's a quality to that, a nuance. He throws it during games the way coaches at the Combine keep telling the quarterbacks to throw it, pushing the ball to the very edge of the sideline, to the very edge of the route. He can run. He's got good size. He does NFL things out there.

They're looking for a backup, and if you're going to get tossed out there for an injured Ryan Tannehill you've got to have balls of steel. The Troy State quarterback who can go out there and give National Championship winner Clemson a run for their money, or can go out there and BEAT LSU...has balls of steel.

Damn I'm not a QB expert but this guy looks really good. Iv looked at a lot of mock drafts and haven't seen him enywhere. Why? Looks a lot better than some guys projected ahead of him like Mike White who I saw a few games of and didn't impress me one bit

Well he's not flashy, for one thing. He spins the hell out of the football but that doesn't mean he's got great overall velocity. Plays in a spread, takes full advantage of the whole WR screen thing (although quite honestly they do WR screens so often in the NFL that I'm not sure it matters). He doesn't really create much on his own. Sometimes he really spins and squeezes the football a little too hard and it detracts from the ball being purely catchable. Other times he's caught making a decision too soon, focusing on execution without even looking at the leverage of the defensive players in coverage to see if he should come off it. For example he'll use his eyes to draw one defender away from his true target and then click over and chuck it to that target without checking to see if he's actually open. It happens to a lot of guys, but it's a recurring theme for Silvers. Also sometimes not seeing the underneath defender in position to rob the passing lane.

Overall he belongs in a lane of QB prospects that can't really make a lot of plays on their own, hurting a defense with their own pure ability, but rather would have to be great by achieving execution savant status within their offensive system, or within the structure of what defenses do to try and stop him or his offense. I think that's hard to do. Guys like DeShaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, young Tony Romo, young Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, young Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, and then to some extent even guys like Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor, and Alex Smith, they're generally going to have an easier time of it because of their ability to create with elusiveness and play-making talent.

But you are starting to see some counter-punching from the execution class, as the likes of Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, Case Keenum, and Andy Dalton have begun joining the ranks of your classical Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Phil Rivers, Matt Ryan types that make their hay in the NFL by being execution savants despite never really having ever been elusive or pure "play makers".

Well he's not flashy, for one thing. He spins the hell out of the football but that doesn't mean he's got great overall velocity. Plays in a spread, takes full advantage of the whole WR screen thing (although quite honestly they do WR screens so often in the NFL that I'm not sure it matters). He doesn't really create much on his own. Sometimes he really spins and squeezes the football a little too hard and it detracts from the ball being purely catchable. Other times he's caught making a decision too soon, focusing on execution without even looking at the leverage of the defensive players in coverage to see if he should come off it. For example he'll use his eyes to draw one defender away from his true target and then click over and chuck it to that target without checking to see if he's actually open. It happens to a lot of guys, but it's a recurring theme for Silvers. Also sometimes not seeing the underneath defender in position to rob the passing lane.

Overall he belongs in a lane of QB prospects that can't really make a lot of plays on their own, hurting a defense with their own pure ability, but rather would have to be great by achieving execution savant status within their offensive system, or within the structure of what defenses do to try and stop him or his offense. I think that's hard to do. Guys like DeShaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, young Tony Romo, young Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, young Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, and then to some extent even guys like Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor, and Alex Smith, they're generally going to have an easier time of it because of their ability to create with elusiveness and play-making talent.

But you are starting to see some counter-punching from the execution class, as the likes of Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, Case Keenum, and Andy Dalton have begun joining the ranks of your classical Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Phil Rivers, Matt Ryan types that make their hay in the NFL by being execution savants despite never really having ever been elusive or pure "play makers".

This is really great analysis in terms of distinguishing QB styles. I guess I'm putting Tannehill somewhere in between the two.
Maybe another reason the most of the fan base is ambivalent towards him.

This is really great analysis in terms of distinguishing QB styles. I guess I'm putting Tannehill somewhere in between the two.
Maybe another reason the most of the fan base is ambivalent towards him.

Tannehill has the athleticism and speed of a play-making quarterback, but not the elusiveness or physical spatial awareness. However, he has superb ability to make big throws while on the move. That's the thing that helps him.

I mention the frequency with which Josh Allen puts out these A+ highlights. Thing is, Ryan Tannehill has A+ highlights that could go on the same reel. That's because the same athletic ability is there, and even a close approximation of the same arm strength and ability to throw on the move. It just happens less frequently. But on the plus side, Tannehill executes the vanilla play call about as well as anyone.

I find it hard to believe there's not more push for Matt Linehan in this crop of Senior QB's.

Not sure what these scouts are doing, but somebody needs to look more closely at him. I think the general draft public is missing something here.

I didn't like C.J. Beathard as a prospect, but Linehan resembles Beathard in many ways. Watch his game against Missouri. This kid knows where to go with the football.

I'll give him another look on your recommendation but I watched two games of his and just didn't see it.

We have a sleeper. Lauletta isn't on your board, he will be drafted after that display

I like what I see from Austin Allen...if all else fails???

i watched enough Arky (about 6 quarters) to know that Austin Allen is NOT the dude at QB.

I still have to make my case for South Dakota QB Chris Streveler here. He worked out with SDSU along side Dallas Goedert and Jake Wieneke.

Streveler came in at 6015 & 209 lbs.

Ran a 4.45 at his pro day. Some timed his second run in the 4.3's but I doubt that. Most had the first run around 4.45 to 4.48.

Jumped 38.5 inches.

Had a 10'5" broad jump as well. He ran a 4.20 shuttle, and 7.48 cone drill.

Journalist Matt Zimmer said Streveler was throwing strikes all day.

South Dakota STATE's coach John Stiegelmeier could be overhead talking to Streveler's University of South Dakota coach saying he thinks Chris Streveler is "one of the best pure football players I have ever seen."

Streveler was Missouri Valley Football Conference MVP, and First Team FCS All American.

His final year he was 316 of 481 for 4,134 yards, 32 TD, 8 INT, with 168 runs for 720 yards (including sacks) and 11 TDs. He threw for 300+ in 8 of 13 games. The team had the most success from a wins and playoff standpoint that they've had in something like 10 years.

Here's one of his games. I've watched several. His delivery is not quite orthodox. But I noticed he was getting better game after game. He played the year with an injured throwing hand, and I have no idea how he got these sorts of results with an injured throwing hand.

Some of these guys are already playing football.

At least, Chris Streveler is.

He made his CFL debut and went 10 for 10 for 140 yards and a TD. He also ran 4 times for 37 yards, guiding Winnipeg to a 33-13 victory.

He took over the game up 13-10 with about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and rotated drives with his competition for the primary backup job Alex Ross. Streveler's drives ended with TD, FG, TD, fumble on a 20 yard scramble, and punt.

This is a lot like Rakeem Cato. The differences are 1) between the ears (I still feel bad about what Rakeem's upbringing has done to his life), and 2) Streveler is a lot bigger (6'2" & 209 lbs vs. 6'0" & 178 lbs).

That makes me think Streveler has a legit shot of climbing back out of the CFL and giving it a go in the NFL. But will he WANT to? That's the question. Some of these guys like Mike Reilly and Ricky Ray that go up to Canada and become icons there...seem really happy about it.

I'd still have drafted Streveler and made him a developmental QB on the Dolphins in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Incredibly, Chris Streveler seems set to be the starter for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the season opener this Thursday.

People talk a lot of trash about the CFL and I get it, but it's not Arena football.

There are only 9 CFL teams, and the group of quarterbacks that plays around those teams from year to year seems pretty set. Ricky Ray has been a starter for 16 years. Kevin Glenn has been a starter for like 17 years. Mike Reilly has been a starter for 5 years. Bo Levi Mitchell has been a starter for 4 years. Trevor Harris and Matt Nichols have been established starters for like 3 years.

And the CFL evidently HATES rookies straight out of American colleges. They just don't think they can acclimate to the 12th defender that quickly, and they're right about that.

So for Streveler to come in and start Week 1 is pretty impressive, even only because Matt Nichols hurt his knee.

Still, it's a tough game to "get" this quickly, with that 12th defender on the field. It changes the coverage, obviously. So we'll see how well he does. If he really lights it up I would think the NFL would come calling.

Splashy debut for Chris Streveler, literally. Pouring rain, two lightning delays, longest and latest game in CFL history. Tough conditions for anyone let alone a rookie in a league that starts a rookie in Week 1 once every 20 or 25 years (12-man coverages notoriously hard to get used to).

He did good though. He was 15 of 28 for 178 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, with 30 rushing yards. He had the CFL MVP Mike Reilly on the ropes, with an 8 point lead up until about 2 minutes left in the game when Reilly's heroics showed why he's the reigning MVP. There wasn't much Streveler could have done about that.

The fly in the ointment were the two picks. But the first one was a check down over the shallow middle, tight coverage but he put the ball right into the receiver's stomach and the defender actually ripped it out and took it for himself. That's on the receiver. The second pick was a 2-point conversion try, which in the NCAA or NFL wouldn't even be scored an interception, and Streveler clearly treated it like he would a 4th down in the NFL or NCAA. If nobody's open and the pressure is coming in, there's no point in taking a sack, and very, very, very little to lose if you throw an interception since the other side will be getting possession anyway. He was being unselfish, threw it into a pile of bodies and hoped a guy with the right jersey made the play.

With that lightning release of his, I think the NFL is going to be sorry they didn't give him a more serious go as a UDFA or late round pick. He's a stellar character, which is why he rose to prominence on the depth chart to begin with and became the first rookie QB to start Week 1 in the CFL since 1994. Smart guy with two Master's degrees. Built Ford tough, runs a 4.45, had a 38.5" vertical, lightning quick release, arm to get the ball anywhere, and he's accurate. Sometimes, I just don't get it.

But go ahead, NFL. By all means, continue ****ing around with the likes of Nathan Peterman, Matt McGloin, Alex Tanney, CJ Beathard, Garrett Gilbert, Mitch Leidner, Phillip Walker, Kellen Clemens, Dane Evans, Trevor Knight, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom