Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Rosen is the best quarterback in the draft. Slimm rightfully updated these rankings. Still very high on Darnold. Rosen is just special

Rosen is the best quarterback in the draft. Slimm rightfully updated these rankings. Still very high on Darnold. Rosen is just special

I moved Rosen up because I believe he's more NFL ready right this minute. Darnold is still so young and early in his development.

You can stick Rosen in the NFL today and he'll run an offense, make the correct reads and execute top notch throws from the pocket.

Darnold is still an elite prospect, and he's going to be a franchise quarterback at the next level. I'm just not necessarily sure it's going to be this year. He's only a RS sophomore and I think people tend to forget that. He's making some wrong reads and trying to force throws that aren't there sometimes...meanwhile passing up open receivers underneath. He's trying to find out just how good his physical gifts really are. It's natural for kids like him to do it.

As I've been saying, these kids are still so early in their development. They're already great, but there's no telling how good they'll be if they stay until their Senior year.

There continues to be a lot of chatter about Sam Darnold staying in school. There's also quite a bit of pressure on him to leave early and pursue his NFL future, but I think I may actually be leaning toward him staying.

If there is ONE thing that concerns me about Josh Allen (there's more than one thing, just saying), it's the stage.

I watched him after a press conference and he was so clearly jittery with the press. It was not my imagination, nor just a bad interpretation of his normal personality. I've seen enough of his practice field interviews to know the difference. When he's in front of a room full of press in that situation, the kid is almost painfully nervous.

If you look at this year, the one game I would point to and say, he did a bad job, that was the Iowa game...in front of 70,000 people.

Every other game he's played in front of about 20,000 people. Every other game, even if the results were bad, the performance wasn't necessarily bad.

Go back to one year ago, guess which game he played in front of 90,000 people, whereas the rest of his games were played in front of 30,000 people tops.

That's right, the Nebraska game. When he came apart and threw 5 interceptions.

This is a kid from FIREBAUGH, CALIFORNIA...as they keep saying in every game when they run a little sequence on the quarterback. In fact he ain't even from Firebaugh. He's from a farm like 15-20 minutes outside of Firebaugh.

It may take him a painfully long time to get him up to playing on a big stage.

Does that translate to him not being able to play in big moments? Anyone's guess, but he did botch the biggest moment of his career to date when he was trying to execute that comeback against BYU in the nationally televised bowl game, got into his final come-from-behind drive, and then threw a bad pick right at Kai Nacua.

When you keep in context that neither can buy a beer, you appreciate how good they really can be.

I still love Darnold. He's worthy of being the #1 pick in any other draft

What do you have on Baker

I would say in my history it can't exactly come as a shock if I have an affinity for Baker Mayfield. My two guys last year were Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I gave Mahomes the slight edge on long term potential.

I need a guy who is faster than the game because the game is faster than the guy when they bump to the next level. Baker Mayfield is faster than the game.

You can't just come to the NFL anymore and conquer it from a mental and technical standpoint. It's too much. You need to be able to handle the rush and make plays on your own. You can't keep waiting until someone builds an offense for you and gets it all perfect so you can take off running. It's nice when it happens that way but it's probably not going to happen that way.

When I watch Baker Mayfield play, I think he's got a handle on where everyone is, where they're supposed to be, and he knows where to look when he gets into trouble. He also knows how to manipulate the defense and defenders to get what he wants. He thinks in real time.

The thing he adds to that is really consistent throwing and execution. That's the extra. I think when you're able to show that you can consistently execute in a way your skill players can count on, and then you also have that play making ability, it's enough to go toe to toe with NFL defenses. To be able to complete 76 percent of your passes and have the execution from a timing, ball placement standpoint achieve uniformity, especially in quick flick, bang-bang situations, and yet so clearly be a gun slinging play-maker type...that's attractive. His feet are wonderful. Not sure there's anyone in the class with feet that quick and that active. But then, there's not a QB in the class actually playing better than Baker right now.

He's going to have to be taught things. I understand that. But I also understand that he's not going to have to be taught things that others will never have. I think he's got a chance to be somewhere between a Drew Brees and a Russell Wilson.

I'm not going to ding a guy on height anymore based on poor or misunderstood statistical methodology. I'm only going to do it if I see the size translate into poor vision, poor habits, or poor durability. And I don't see an arm strength case to be made. In fact I like the way he darts the football around at distance.

I pointed out how lucky Rosen was getting in terms of interceptions while other quarterbacks weren't. I tried to illustrate that he was 4 inches from having the games Josh Allen was getting scolded for having.

As usual, the breaks have caught up with him. It all evens out in the end. This weekend was Rosen and Luke Falk's turn.

Although Falk isn't anywhere near the category Rosen, Darnold, and Allen are in. Which is all together a different discussion.

Watching Tanner Lee more, minus the turnovers, he’s got a real nice throwing motion and quick release when he passes. It’s reminiscent of Marino imo. This is the kid I’d like the Phins to draft whether it be next year or the year after. I think he’s going to be pretty dang good.

What do you guys think of Will Grier out of W. Virginia? I’m a Florida Gators fan and was pissed they dumped him. He played really well when he was on the Gators until his injury, and now he’s playing really well @ W. Virginia.

Grier strikes me as a guy that's in bad need of a significant amount of refinement. He needs to develop more consistency, as cliche as that sounds. He reminds me a bit of Jay Cutler that way.

Grier strikes me as a guy that's in bad need of a significant amount of refinement. He needs to develop more consistency, as cliche as that sounds. He reminds me a bit of Jay Cutler that way.

I agree, but he definitely doesn't have Cutler's arm. I think he's a clever QB, but he'd do well to return and improve the consistency of his footwork and throwing mechanics. I know the lesser QB's smell blood in the water with Darnold's struggles (not to mention the possibility that he'll return to USC in 2018), but they should really focus on what's best for their development - speaking of Lee and Thorson, too.

I think you can make a strong case for each of the UC QB's to return to school for 2018, but the lower-ranked guys, especially, should think hars about where they are in their development.

Despite his struggles, Darnold is the only UC QB I like in the 1st - if he declares.

Back
Top Bottom