Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

I ended up with Robert Griffin rated a 2nd rounder and I see no reason not to end up with Lamar Jackson in the 2nd round as well.

He's not as accurate as Griffin, especially at deeper NFL distances. But I think he actually sees and reads the field from inside the pocket better than Griffin did at Baylor, throwing with the anticipation of windows opening up. Without question there are more NFL concepts in Jackson's Louisville play BOOK than Griffin's Baylor play SHEET.

With Jackson, I actually like his work from inside the pocket better than a lot of his work out of the pocket. With Griffin, it was the other way around. He never seemed comfortable until he got out of the pocket. I felt like RG3 needed to be out of the tackle box just to see things more clearly. I don't get that feeling as much with Lamar Jackson. And I think Jackson is better than RG3 was in terms of feeling the rush from inside the pocket. I'm not saying he's a standout in this regard, but it's better than RG3 was.

They both have similar frames and take way too much contact. This was a primary concern I expressed about RG3 with consistency. He needed to play outside the pocket but he didn't have the natural wherewithal or even the desire to avoid bad contact, and his frame wasn't going to hold up to the punishment he'd get outside the pocket. He had already blown out a knee in college, and every game I would see him take these vicious shots that you don't think he can get up from. He did get up, every time, with the exception of that year he blew out his knee, but you just knew if he kept doing that in the NFL where everyone are bigger and faster, one day he wouldn't. This is the trap Lamar Jackson can't fall into, because he has a WR-like frame. I already see on film he takes too much contact.

But then you have to go back to it...that accuracy. Griffin's accuracy was just better, and that can mean a lot at the next level.

To me that all works out to around a 2nd round pick.

I really like Jared Stidham much better game against Alabama then against Clemson. Maybe he's improving. Probably will end up back at Auburn for another year though

It's interesting that Tanner Lee may be coming out. I imagine the temptation is all the stronger now that the coach has been fired.

Josh Allen is strongly rumored to be out and the Wyoming coach recently iterated that point.

I think most of us feel it's likely Lamar Jackson comes out.

Josh Rosen is definitely out.

The rumor that surprises me is that Clayton Thorson of Northwestern might be out. He's a good QB. Good pro prospect. But I still would've thought he'd stay.

If accuracy is an issue with Jackson, then I'm out, adios Lamar.

Miami needs a QB that can throw a receiver open in stride and can still survive an NFL hit.

No more projects, don's waste the pick, Dolphins need players than can make a 53 on talent.

If accuracy is an issue with Jackson, then I'm out, adios Lamar.

Miami needs a QB that can throw a receiver open in stride and can still survive an NFL hit.

No more projects, don's waste the pick, Dolphins need players than can make a 53 on talent.
Accuracy is a Huge issue for him. I don't see that changing either. He may get better but never above 65% in my view

I ended up with Robert Griffin rated a 2nd rounder and I see no reason not to end up with Lamar Jackson in the 2nd round as well.

He's not as accurate as Griffin, especially at deeper NFL distances. But I think he actually sees and reads the field from inside the pocket better than Griffin did at Baylor, throwing with the anticipation of windows opening up. Without question there are more NFL concepts in Jackson's Louisville play BOOK than Griffin's Baylor play SHEET.

With Jackson, I actually like his work from inside the pocket better than a lot of his work out of the pocket. With Griffin, it was the other way around. He never seemed comfortable until he got out of the pocket. I felt like RG3 needed to be out of the tackle box just to see things more clearly. I don't get that feeling as much with Lamar Jackson. And I think Jackson is better than RG3 was in terms of feeling the rush from inside the pocket. I'm not saying he's a standout in this regard, but it's better than RG3 was.

They both have similar frames and take way too much contact. This was a primary concern I expressed about RG3 with consistency. He needed to play outside the pocket but he didn't have the natural wherewithal or even the desire to avoid bad contact, and his frame wasn't going to hold up to the punishment he'd get outside the pocket. He had already blown out a knee in college, and every game I would see him take these vicious shots that you don't think he can get up from. He did get up, every time, with the exception of that year he blew out his knee, but you just knew if he kept doing that in the NFL where everyone are bigger and faster, one day he wouldn't. This is the trap Lamar Jackson can't fall into, because he has a WR-like frame. I already see on film he takes too much contact.

But then you have to go back to it...that accuracy. Griffin's accuracy was just better, and that can mean a lot at the next level.

To me that all works out to around a 2nd round pick.

Very well said, CK. I also had a 2nd on RG3, but if I had it to do over, I'd have him in the 3rd, because of the implications of his playing style and frame. You really have to protect a QB like that, and even if you do, the risk of injury is still high.

I agree that Jackson sees the field and operates from the pocket better than RG3 - and that his accuracy is worse. Ultimately, I like Jackson more than I'd like RG3 coming out today, because Jackson's character and football mind are more appealing.

I'm very concerned that a bad team will draft him, use Jackson's legs way too much, have inflated (unsustainable) success early, only to see him hurt. That seems like the most likely outcome. I'd like to see a team use Jackson somewhere between the usage of RG3 and early Vick and Tyrod Taylor (Bills don't use his legs enough imo) - but closer to Taylor.

I wanna see Tanner Lee in a Miami Dolphins uniform. Or if Drew Lock declares he’s another, but both Lock and Lee might be returning for their senior year.

The last I heard of Tanner Lee was that he planned to come out. That's not set in stone obviously. There's got to be considerable enthusiasm about Scott Frost taking over so perhaps Lee will stay on that basis.

I'm curious if Chase Litton comes out. He's really matured a lot since I started watching his high school tape. And he's put on weight too. Still got a golden gun.

* Josh Allen has made several Marino-type throws today. Especially the first touchdown pass, which reminded me of the throw Marino made at the Jets early in his rookie season. That was the throw that Shula said made his jaw drop in disbelief.

I wish Wyoming had drawn a more difficult bowl opponent. This reminds me of Jared Goff picking on the Air Force pass defense in that bowl a few years ago. I liked Goff but with that Sonny Dykes hyper sweep offense it was difficult to get a feel for everything. BTW, I think Goff now really benefits from McVay being so sharp and using lots of flowing concepts that open up the field and basically more sophisticated and sensible versions of the things Dykes tried to do. Plus Gurley obviously doesn't hurt.

Allen still reminds me of a bigger Jake Plummer but with a much stronger arm. He moves around like Plummer. Very smooth. And like Plummer something is missing. A friend of mine in Las Vegas always emphasized that for as smart and accurate as Plummer was proposed to be, his completion percentage lingered in the mid 50s. Allen's has been almost identical. I don't want to fully knock him for it because Wyoming's personnel is crap. Really crap. They are always overmatched in the trenches and this season their most dependable skill position guys from last season were gone.

Drive through the wastelands of Wyoming and you'll understand why their personnel is crap. I'll never forget the year they played Oklahoma in a bowl game and the spread was tiny. Sooners underachieved that season and got stuck in a minor bowl. Too bad I was too young to wager at that point. Massacre.

The reason I wanted to see Allen against a better opponent is his tendency to make the silly mistake. Like the game ending interception against BYU in last year's bowl. Even today he took a needless sack to take Wyoming out of field goal range. This is an extremely talented player but there will be frustrations. I don't know why Sons of Shula was banned but I thought he made some good points earlier in this thread, about Allen perhaps not mentally tough enough. ckparrothead had interesting observations about poor performances in front of more eyes. Allen has done fine in Mountain West step up games, like the home upsets of Boise State and San Diego State last season.

Too talented not to go very, very high...maybe first. These throws today will be all over that Path to the Draft programming.

* As a USC alum obviously I hope Darnold stays. It's reached the point not many people on the USC forums are even worried about it. There were some insider indications on those forums beginning in midseason. I was surprised at how persistent they were.

Darnold is a gamer. More than any of these guys. Yeah, the long delivery will cause occasional problems but everything else is special enough you just forget about it

* Rosen reminds me of Matt Ryan but not as durable. Ryan is a big guy, despite not the strongest arm. Rosen has instincts to run and takes hits as a result. I don't think his frame is as sturdy as Ryan. But not an injury waiting to happen like Robert Griffin. Besides, Griffin was a jerk. That is still the most baffling single departure in nearly 50 years of following the draft...the way Robert Griffin's personality was portrayed leading up to that draft -- and shortly thereafter -- compared to how it was properly defined on so many of the major college message boards beforehand. I detected it but I had plenty of company.

In the NFL, Rosen will find that his arm isn't strong enough to avoid the interceptions that he narrowly avoids in college so often, as Slimm pointed out.

* I don't know about Baker Mayfield. That Big 12 pass defense is so incredibly inept at nobody allowing less than 7.1 YPA that I have to apply some doubt, but mostly to the second tier types like the Oklahoma State kid. Mayfield did fare well at Ohio State, albeit with help from Barrett.

I wish Oklahoma had drawn Alabama first, and an Alabama with the healthy defense like September. That would have been fun. I would not have wagered lightly. Oklahoma has a 7.5 YPA pass defense, which would be unprecedented as national champ. But the matchup against Georgia is a bit of a conflict because Oklahoma was rated higher than Georgia in preseason. When pass defense and preseason ratings point to the same team the outcome cooperates.

It's possible we see 4-5 QBs in top 10 which bodes well for Miami. Hopefully with some luck we are slotted at #10 pick.
Leaves us with Minaj, Ward, Brad Chubb, L Smith, Derwin James or Barkley.

Not sure why Darnold isn't coached to keep two hands on the football in the pocket, but that's all it boils down to in terms of his fumbling issues.

If he was to declare for the draft and start working with somebody like George Whitfield, he'd be coached and drilled constantly on fundamentals. Mostly maintaining the triangle as you keep two hands on the football.

He'd be extremely fundamentally sound for his pro day after working with Whitfield for a few months.

I've said it from the beginning, but there's no doubt in my mind Darnold is going to be an elite quarterback at the next level.

How he was able to throw for 356 yards against Ohio St. with his receivers fumbling the ball all over the place and an NFL defensive line living in the backfield every single snap was incredible.

I know it’s still early in his career, but I’d like to read what you draft gurus think about Jake Fromm from Georgia?

I know it’s still early in his career, but I’d like to read what you draft gurus think about Jake Fromm from Georgia?

Wish he would've stuck with his commitment to Alabama instead of following Kirby to Georgia.

Too early to break him down as a prospect for the next level.

Back
Top Bottom