Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman)

I find it quite hilarious that now this year it's ok to invest a 1st round pick in a DT, when last year people said that should never be the case.

I find it quite hilarious that now this year it's ok to invest a 1st round pick in a DT, when last year people said that should never be the case.

Those people were wrong last year and will be again the next time they say it. Ludicrous.

Easy to get confused/be half-right on this. DT's who can pressure the QB are as premium as any defensive position. Lane cloggers are not worth premium assets.

Vita Vea still had 3 sacks this year so not like he never sniffed the QB. That said, yes these DTs look like a different prototype.

Vita Vea was in the top quintile among NFL defensive tackles this year in pass rush productivity.

A year ago whenever I would mention a defensive tackle, the throng of fans trying to shout it down, saying that the position isn't that important, always came washing over me on twitter. Now this year it's all about "BUILD THE LINES!!!" and I end up having to block people on Twitter for being disrespectful a-holes if I dare to post a Fanspeak mock where I don't take a Defensive Tackle in Days 1 or 2.

I think NoblePhin's point is well taken.

I can’t speak for all fans but Vea and Payne were both discussed in various forums.
Think it came down to BPA last year and will be similar discussion this year.
Last year the exercise was name your top 7 players because we anticipate 4 QBs going before Miami.
This year will be similar -name your top 10- and take the BPA.

To follow up and along CK and Nobles points, recently did mock draft:
Greedy Williams
Nassir Adderly
Eric McCoy
I would sign up for that.

To follow up and along CK and Nobles points, recently did mock draft:
Greedy Williams
Nassir Adderly
Eric McCoy
I would sign up for that.

I’d take that especially if Flowers is signed in FA.

You now need the upfield types at defensive tackle, as j-off-her-doll mentioned. Most of the top defensive tackles in this draft have enough burst, unlike some recent seasons. That's partially the reason there is more excitement and willingness this time.

I continue to like analytics and specifically this guy's application of them, because he places so much emphasis on market share and also age. Last year his top rated defensive tackle was Maurice Hurst. That went against all conventional wisdom, partially because Hurst had a medical condition which caused him to drop. But when you are looking at numbers then that type of thing is properly relegated, because you aren't relying on subjective dizzying weighting of this and that.

Hurst went early in the 5th round and became one of the best interior rookie defenders in the league. In fact, Raiders fans in a disappointing transition season were about as excited with Hurst as anyone else on the roster.

I should caution that this guy's current videos on the 2019 class are very early and only include market share production. Later he'll blend the test score and age data also, for a final ranking similar to this one from last year's draft:

You now need the upfield types at defensive tackle, as j-off-her-doll mentioned. Most of the top defensive tackles in this draft have enough burst, unlike some recent seasons. That's partially the reason there is more excitement and willingness this time.

I continue to like analytics and specifically this guy's application of them, because he places so much emphasis on market share and also age. Last year his top rated defensive tackle was Maurice Hurst. That went against all conventional wisdom, partially because Hurst had a medical condition which caused him to drop. But when you are looking at numbers then that type of thing is properly relegated, because you aren't relying on subjective dizzying weighting of this and that.

Hurst went early in the 5th round and became one of the best interior rookie defenders in the league. In fact, Raiders fans in a disappointing transition season were about as excited with Hurst as anyone else on the roster.

I should caution that this guy's current videos on the 2019 class are very early and only include market share production. Later he'll blend the test score and age data also, for a final ranking similar to this one from last year's draft:

Imo he's improving at parsing his data. He still has some room for growth, but who doesn't? Because he's a bit of a weird dude (which I mean as a compliment), he's willing to go against the grain a little too much. Last year, he was low on Derwin James, because he didn't frame him properly. He noted that James's profile suggested a low ceiling, but even using his own data, James had an All Pro ceiling as a CB. As a way of highlighting James's most elite quality (man coverage), I actually listed him as a CB for a bit, but the point is that FSU didn't use James like a typical Safety, so his tackle and INT numbers weren't going to show well vs Safeties who were. Of course, most people were relatively high on James, so people who didn't use analytics were high on him anyway. The league, though, was surprisingly low on him. Aside from QB's, I only had Smith, Nelson, and B. Chubb rated higher - and not by much.

JC is still young, so I think he'll figure this kind of thing out, and I agree that his work is worth considering.

Trysten Hill is excellent. He needs to be on this list.

Based on Patrick Graham's description of what he's looking for in his defensive front players, a guy that stands out to me is one we picked up last year as a UDFA, that being Jamiyus Pittman of UCF. He exhibits a lot of the traits that Graham holds as virtues, in terms of understanding leverage, and especially his excellent EYES.

Sometimes, when you see a player like that, you sort of go back to the well a little bit because a program may have more guys just like that. They recruit a certain way, they teach and develop a certain way, etc.

Sure enough. Trysten Hill seems right up Miami's alley.

He runs about 6'1" and 315 lbs but has been 330 lbs before. Explosive. Long arms. Heavy-handed as hell. Good eyes and ability to follow the backfield action. Good lateral agility. Like Jamiyus Pittman did, Trysten Hill makes plays and shows promise in both phases.

It really stands out to me in these videos what kind of boundless energy he has as you get into the second half of these games and he's out there running around and jumping and celebrating and maneuvering, exploding just like a guy would be in the first quarter. He was virtually unstoppable in the fourth quarter of the Temple game because where everyone else wore down, he kept up the intensity. His motor is truly incredible. This is a unique, special quality for a 315 lbs defensive tackle.

The only negative I can see is that he ends up on the ground a bit, his own aggressiveness getting the better of him sometimes. But this is no Brian Price. His style is totally different than that.

Kid could be another Jurrell Casey. He's more explosive and gifted than Pittman was, but has similarities in the way that they play.

Where is dremont Jones being projected? I haven’t heard much buzz around him

Back
Top Bottom