Slimm's 2019 Linebackers (seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Linebackers (seniors)

Most Underrated: Germaine Pratt, Bobby Okereke, Deshaun Davis, Terez Hall, Jordan Kunaszyk, E.J. Ejiya, Juwan Foggie.

Most Overrated: Te'Von Coney, Cameron Smith.

I know we are both high on Thornhill and Hall, but I think their teammate, Chris Peace, is flying under the radar. Looks like a very good athlete, can bend, converts speed to power, and he shows good vision. Haven't seen much success with his inside counters. He's either winning around the edge or with a bull rush, but he's pretty successful with those two.

I have actually seen Peace win with an inside spin (nice one toward the end of the Duke game), but win % is lower in this area.

I know we are both high on Thornhill and Hall, but I think their teammate, Chris Peace, is flying under the radar. Looks like a very good athlete, can bend, converts speed to power, and he shows good vision. Haven't seen much success with his inside counters. He's either winning around the edge or with a bull rush, but he's pretty successful with those two.

I have actually seen Peace win with an inside spin (nice one toward the end of the Duke game), but win % is lower in this area.

How much of Ryan Guthrie have you seen? I think he's another underrated kid. Watched him make several one-on-one tackles in space against Travis Etienne in the Clemson game that were extremely solid. Not many I've seen that can do it. He's just a fundamentally sound tackler with underrated range - breaks down really well to tackle. Brings his feet and wraps up. He's really improved the LB unit for Syracuse. Big reason why they're having such a good season.

How much of Ryan Guthrie have you seen? I think he's another underrated kid. Watched him make several one-on-one tackles in space against Travis Etienne in the Clemson game that were extremely solid. Not many I've seen that can do it. He's just a fundamentally sound tackler with underrated range - breaks down really well to tackle. Brings his feet and wraps up. He's really improved the LB unit for Syracuse. Big reason why they're having such a good season.

Haven't seen him at all, but I'll check him out. As always, appreciate the rec, Slimm!

I wonder if Miami could get Cameron Smith from USC around the late 4th or early 5th round? He could be nice depth.

slimm, Thoughts on Josh Allen? Any way hes still around when the Dolphins pick?
I am hoping for Allen, Devin White, Greedy, Deandre baker as guys who could possibly be around still. Likelihood of these guys being there if were picking around 15?

slimm, Thoughts on Josh Allen? Any way hes still around when the Dolphins pick?
I am hoping for Allen, Devin White, Greedy, Deandre baker as guys who could possibly be around still. Likelihood of these guys being there if were picking around 15?

Could be, I think a lot of it just depends on how well he tests athletically. It eventually fine tunes the draft slots.

The question is how much of a fit they believe he is for the defense. If they didn't think T.J. Watt was a fit, I don't see how they'll view Josh Allen as a fit. Unless they have plans to change the scheme. Although in reality he looks better rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt than he does playing from a 2pt stance. The ability to drop into coverage standing up is there though. I'm not convinced Miami would know how to use a player like him.

Mentioned it in a thread on the main, but your top guys, Pratt and Alaka, are the two LB's who best fit what NE asked of Kyle Van Noy. It'll be interesting to see how Miami prioritizes that role, but they're both really good (we talked about Pratt before), and a D like NE's or now Miami's would likely maximize their talents better than most.

If we're on that subject I think Malik Carney is well worth talking about.

I suppose the size (6020 & 246 lbs) and athletic limitations (4.86e) could doom him, despite the 33.5 inch arms and 10 inch hands he measured at Shrine practice. But he's an interesting potential analog to either Trey Flowers or Kyle Van Noy, as it pertains to the defense that Miami are about to establish.

If we're on that subject I think Malik Carney is well worth talking about.

I suppose the size (6020 & 246 lbs) and athletic limitations (4.86e) could doom him, despite the 33.5 inch arms and 10 inch hands he measured at Shrine practice. But he's an interesting potential analog to either Trey Flowers or Kyle Van Noy, as it pertains to the defense that Miami are about to establish.

I like Carney and cited him as a potential fit in a thread on the main. If he really runs at 4.86 at that weight, though, that's pretty damming.

Could be, I think a lot of it just depends on how well he tests athletically. It eventually fine tunes the draft slots.

The question is how much of a fit they believe he is for the defense. If they didn't think T.J. Watt was a fit, I don't see how they'll view Josh Allen as a fit. Unless they have plans to change the scheme. Although in reality he looks better rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt than he does playing from a 2pt stance. The ability to drop into coverage standing up is there though. I'm not convinced Miami would know how to use a player like him.

Correct. Allen is not arrogant enough from a standup position. Right now that is what separates him from guys like Von Miller or Khalil Mack, who impose themselves regardless of technique.

Allen still looks like he is thinking too much, instead of unleashing.

But that type of thing can be gone quickly in the pros. In the decades I have watched this stuff I would say that is one tendency that carries over regardless of position...a very talented kid who is somewhat tentative as a collegian but then throws that away in the pros. I remember Jimmy Graham mostly wandering around waving his hand in the air during his one season as a Canes footballer. He looked very soft, especially in the rain at Virginia Tech. I wondered and posted if the basketball attitude would always be missing from the football field. But once he was a Saint that concern seemed like a joke.

Back
Top Bottom