Slimm's 2019 Linebackers (underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Linebackers (underclassman)

What's your take on the Bama LB' Jennings and Wilson?

Jennings is more of a 3-4 outside linebacker. Completely healthy he's capable of dominating games (see Clemson in the playoffs last year) but he's still not quite back from the season ending injury he suffered in that game. He's just now really starting to get somewhat back to what he was. Not an elite athlete for the position, but incredible instincts and feel for the game. Physical kid. Love him.

Mack Wilson is dripping with upside. Has the talent to be the best LB in this class - even better than Devin White. But he just hasn't put it all together yet. He's had some struggles with communication as the signal caller in Bama's defense. He's a 1st round pick if he comes out early. Great feel for coverage and elite ball skills for a linebacker. DB level ball skills. I think he'll be a better pro linebacker than a college linebacker. He's built more to defend what the NFL likes to do.

I noticed Joseph has really risen here. Don't be too surprised :)lol:) but I'm not a huge fan. For every big hit or impressive play there are 2 where he's out of position or makes a stupid penalty. He's not big enough to be the thumper he plays like ... has to develop other parts of his game ... specifically coverage because that's his ticket to the NFL. He needs to stay another season to clean the bad parts of his game up if he wants to be playing on Sundays. There is A LOT of Antonio Morrison there.

I don't like his or Reese's chances of making the jump ... but with Reese it's more athletic limitations.

Edit: supposed to be a laughing smiley in parenthesis above. Tried fixing it twice. Dunno

I noticed Joseph has really risen here. Don't be too surprised :)lol:) but I'm not a huge fan. For every big hit or impressive play there are 2 where he's out of position or makes a stupid penalty. He's not big enough to be the thumper he plays like ... has to develop other parts of his game ... specifically coverage because that's his ticket to the NFL. He needs to stay another season to clean the bad parts of his game up if he wants to be playing on Sundays. There is A LOT of Antonio Morrison there.

I don't like his or Reese's chances of making the jump ... but with Reese it's more athletic limitations.

Edit: supposed to be a laughing smiley in parenthesis above. Tried fixing it twice. Dunno

He's still looking for Francois after that juke he put on him.

He's still looking for Francois after that juke he put on him.

Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about ... although that was a damn good move. Francois has really grown on me with how he competes even though his coach is seemingly trying to get him killed. Kid is a gamer.

Watching more football last weekend and Miami needs to do what it can to get Devin White in a uniform.

Him and Baker would make a very formidable fast and high potential Corp with a POA thumper in Kwon to shore up the middle.

Watching more football last weekend and Miami needs to do what it can to get Devin White in a uniform.

Him and Baker would make a very formidable fast and high potential Corp with a POA thumper in Kwon to shore up the middle.

I’ve been thinking about this. I tend to believe White will be overwhelmingly the BPA when Miami picks unless they surprise me and win some games. I’d love to come out of this draft with Devin White and Zack Allen.

David Woodward of Utah State is technically a redshirt sophomore. I haven't studied him yet but I've watched a lot of Utah State because of Jordan Love, Darwin Thompson, and Gerald Bright, and it seems uncanny whenever I watch the defense, Woodward is all over the damn place. Had a huge bowl game.

I wonder how legit he is.

David Woodward of Utah State is technically a redshirt sophomore. I haven't studied him yet but I've watched a lot of Utah State because of Jordan Love, Darwin Thompson, and Gerald Bright, and it seems uncanny whenever I watch the defense, Woodward is all over the damn place. Had a huge bowl game.

I wonder how legit he is.

That Utah State team has so many good looking athletes it's difficult to pick the ones to focus on, and makes me wonder about the personnel people who found them. Wouldn't be the worst move for the Dolphins to check into it.

For years I've liked San Diego State in that conference. Now in a lull but for years they did it via physical running game and hard nosed defense. Well coached. Utah State is well coached also, along a different style. But the sheer athletic ability all over the field is remarkable for that conference. Perfect frames for the positions.

A couple of receivers have promise along with those running backs. Those receivers will block also. Not sure how fast Tarver will run or how high he'll jump. Physically imposing otherwise.

The athlete who looked best to me was #10 the outside linebacker. Very rangy and excellent lean around the corner. I preferred him over Woodward until I checked the background and realized he was the kid who got kicked out of TCU a year or two ago for a blatantly stupid assault situation while drunk.

Definitely a program to keep an eye on. The Dolphins already have the recently resigned cornerback from Utah State.

Really amazing to me because I've been to Logan, Utah a couple of times, including to a basketball game. Some charm but plenty of nothing in every direction. Never thought they would have this type of program.

That Utah State team has so many good looking athletes it's difficult to pick the ones to focus on, and makes me wonder about the personnel people who found them. Wouldn't be the worst move for the Dolphins to check into it.

For years I've liked San Diego State in that conference. Now in a lull but for years they did it via physical running game and hard nosed defense. Well coached. Utah State is well coached also, along a different style. But the sheer athletic ability all over the field is remarkable for that conference. Perfect frames for the positions.

A couple of receivers have promise along with those running backs. Those receivers will block also. Not sure how fast Tarver will run or how high he'll jump. Physically imposing otherwise.

The athlete who looked best to me was #10 the outside linebacker. Very rangy and excellent lean around the corner. I preferred him over Woodward until I checked the background and realized he was the kid who got kicked out of TCU a year or two ago for a blatantly stupid assault situation while drunk.

Definitely a program to keep an eye on. The Dolphins already have the recently resigned cornerback from Utah State.

Really amazing to me because I've been to Logan, Utah a couple of times, including to a basketball game. Some charm but plenty of nothing in every direction. Never thought they would have this type of program.

He stood out to me, as well - bends the corner really well. My memory is a little hazy, but I believe he may be older than ideal, and he's listed at 230 - in addition to the off-field issue. But, he can really turn the corner, and he's very active.

We need to come away from the draft with a linebacker named Devin.

Slimm, how do you think White would fair as a hybrid LB/Edge like Van Noy in NE? He's small for it, but he has been bigger, and he is pretty long for his height.

Good chance he doesn't make it to 13 anyway, but that appears to be his best fit (of the LB's who saw significant playing time) in the new D.

Slimm, how do you think White would fair as a hybrid LB/Edge like Van Noy in NE? He's small for it, but he has been bigger, and he is pretty long for his height.

Good chance he doesn't make it to 13 anyway, but that appears to be his best fit (of the LB's who saw significant playing time) in the new D.

I don't know never really thought about him in that kind of role. There's probably a lot of different roles he could be successful in. I've always viewed his best fit as a run and chase WILL in a defense that utilizes an even front. Although he looks like he could be good in a variety of different roles as long he's not in the middle.

I think if you have a specific role like the one you mentioned in mind as opposed to a specific player, you'd prefer a guy a little bit longer - and try to get that a little bit later than the 13th pick. Somebody like Justin Hollins that I believe CK has mentioned for that specific role. You're looking more for a specific profile than a specific player, and you'll have more than one option that fits that profile.

My personal opinion is that Justin Hollins heads a list for that particular role that also includes Tre Lamar, Emeke Egbule, Jahlani Tavai, and perhaps Andrew Van Ginkel or E.J. Ejiya.

There are some others I'd like to look into but I don't have high expectations.

If I'm not being dogmatic about height then Khalil Hodge could fit as well.

Back
Top Bottom