Slimm's 2019 Offensive Line (seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Offensive Line (seniors)

Max Scharping of NIU put Brian Burns straight to sleep. Kid is a beast. Natural knee bender with long arms, excellent hand placement. Has some nastiness. Seems to have a plan when facing an athletic speed rushers like Burns. I like him. A lot.

I don't care about the Senior Bowl too much. Some guys who are really good struggle, and some guys who are not very good look better than they are. But, the OL group should be fun to watch - better than most years, it seems - and the DL group looks strong, as well.

Just curious what all of you think of Vahe?...I liked what I have seen in the 2 games this year that I watched.

I don't care about the Senior Bowl too much. Some guys who are really good struggle, and some guys who are not very good look better than they are. But, the OL group should be fun to watch - better than most years, it seems - and the DL group looks strong, as well.
The OL /DL 1/1 Sr Bowl practice sessions are great way to judge some of these OL.

The OL /DL 1/1 Sr Bowl practice sessions are great way to judge some of these OL.

It's fun to watch, but tape of actual games is better. Guys who fall due to shaky Sr Bowl performances often outplay their draft slots, and guys who rise often don't live up to their draft slots. The Baylor OG from a few years ago, who the Eagles drafted in the 1st, comes to mind. I think the all-star games are easily the least-important part of the draft process. I'm sure the interviews are helpful to teams, though.

I recall last year - the Pitt Olineman, UCLA kid and there was another just were blown off the ball. Quisenberry? Crosby. Miller too.

I recall last year - the Pitt Olineman, UCLA kid and there was another just were blown off the ball. Quisenberry? Crosby. Miller too.

Brian O'Neill played a lot, as much as or more than any rookie OT (I believe), in 2018 and looked promising. Good example of what I'm talking about.

The 1 vs 1 are to determine what a prospect's weaknesses are, and where he needs to be coached up. A good offensive line coach knows how to coach and prepare a kid for games in order to keep away from his weaknesses, and steered more towards his strengths early on.

Brian O'Neill was my top underclassman OT last year, although I had a late 2nd round grade on him - which is where he went. I had him anywhere from 62-87 overall, and he was drafted #62 overall. I felt like that was good value for O'Neill where he was selected. Most analysts talked about him as being a 2 year project after the Senior Bowl. Nope. He earned a starting job at tackle by midseason and never gave up a sack. Very effective zoning up front in the run game for the Vikings. They coached to his strengths and allowed him to develop.

I wasn't as high on Kolton Miller, who I also had a 2nd round grade on. But Raiders took him in the 1st round because of their need at tackle.

Keep in mind the drills are slanted towards the defensive line when watching these 1 vs 1 drills.

The 1 vs 1 are to determine what a prospect's weaknesses are, and where he needs to be coached up. A good offensive line coach knows how to coach and prepare a kid for games in order to keep away from his weaknesses, and steered more towards his strengths early on.

Brian O'Neill was my top underclassman OT last year, although I had a late 2nd round grade on him - which is where he went. I had him anywhere from 62-87 overall, and he was drafted #62 overall. I felt like that was good value for O'Neill where he was selected. Most analysts talked about him as being a 2 year project after the Senior Bowl. Nope. He earned a starting job at tackle by midseason and never gave up a sack. Very effective zoning up front in the run game for the Vikings. They coached to his strengths and allowed him to develop.

I wasn't as high on Kolton Miller, who I also had a 2nd round grade on. But Raiders took him in the 1st round because of their need at tackle.

Keep in mind the drills are slanted towards the defensive line when watching these 1 vs 1 drills.

I was too low on O'Neill - knocked him too much for his weight (297). He was not especially young, but he was young enough (not a Garrett Bolles situation). I had questions about his ability to anchor, which did show up vs Marcus Davenport in the Senior Bowl game, but I should have projected more room to grow in this area - particularly with him being an elite athlete.

While I mean what I say, and don't believe in knocking or elevating players based on Senior Bowl performances (practice or game), I think it's likely that seeing Davenport push him into Mayfield lap affected my view on an unconscious level. Worth noting that, even as a rookie, Davenport did the same thing to some pretty accomplished OT's this year.

Have to add my typical qualifier that I don't put much stock in Sr Bowl week, but you're one of the only people I've seen rank Powers as OG1 among Seniors, and people were raving about his performance yesterday - particularly how effortlessly he mirrored in pass pro.

Have to add my typical qualifier that I don't put much stock in Sr Bowl week, but you're one of the only people I've seen rank Powers as OG1 among Seniors, and people were raving about his performance yesterday - particularly how effortlessly he mirrored in pass pro.

To me he always had the best movement & mirror skills on tape of any guard I studied in this class.

The two Wisconsin guards are trash in my opinion. I think their hype is more lineage and reputation than actual talent.

To me he always had the best movement & mirror skills on tape of any guard I studied in this class.

The two Wisconsin guards are trash in my opinion. I think their hype is more lineage and reputation than actual talent.

Posted it on the main, but as it stands now (Combine pending), Miami's best move may be to trade down and grab an IOL. Of course, that requires a partner, but outside of the 5 or 6 guys I don't expect to be available, I don't see a lot separating players 7-30+. Still time for that to change. Need to do some work on the OL, but work has really limited how much time I've been able to spend on the draft this year. Of the OT's you like, who would be your favorites to play inside in the NFL? Not that they can't play OT - but guys who would also do well inside.

Posted it on the main, but as it stands now (Combine pending), Miami's best move may be to trade down and grab an IOL. Of course, that requires a partner, but outside of the 5 or 6 guys I don't expect to be available, I don't see a lot separating players 7-30+. Still time for that to change. Need to do some work on the OL, but work has really limited how much time I've been able to spend on the draft this year. Of the OT's you like, who would be your favorites to play inside in the NFL? Not that they can't play OT - but guys who would also do well inside.

The guys who could perform well inside are Max Scharping and Dennis Daley among my Seniors.

Of the underclassman - Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Jawaan Taylor, Tyler Roemer and Ryan Bates. Bates can be considered an OT since he played LT this year for Penn St. (as I noted next to his name) but he had previously been an iOL.

Back
Top Bottom