Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

I've been asking people to suggest to me guys they think throw an NFL ball among the seniors and already got a hit.

Taryn Christion of South Dakota State University throws a legit NFL ball. He was Dallas Goedert's quarterback.

Great statistics over his career at SDSU, another dual threat guy. He's got some mass on him as well. Another winner (total record of 33-11 in the games he's played, including 8-2 this year; he's dealt Easton Stick 2 of Easton's only 3 losses in college football).

He throws a hot ball. I don't need to get very far into him in order to get confirmation on it. First couple of throws were firmly in the NFL range.

I'm out on Ta'amu. This group is terrible.

He was always a Day 3 guy, but my level of optimism has dwindled to almost nothing.
Was just going to post the same thing. He didn’t show anything yesterday to waste a draft pick on at all, even if he did injure his hand.

I was hoping he was going to go out with a bang, but he left with a flutter.

I've been asking people to suggest to me guys they think throw an NFL ball among the seniors and already got a hit.

Taryn Christion of South Dakota State University throws a legit NFL ball. He was Dallas Goedert's quarterback.

Great statistics over his career at SDSU, another dual threat guy. He's got some mass on him as well. Another winner (total record of 33-11 in the games he's played, including 8-2 this year; he's dealt Easton Stick 2 of Easton's only 3 losses in college football).

He throws a hot ball. I don't need to get very far into him in order to get confirmation on it. First couple of throws were firmly in the NFL range.

Checks some boxes in terms of starts, wins, experience, production, and decent enough physical tools to warrant a look in the NFL. Best attribute is the release in my opinion. Although he's going to be a project.

+ Displays good velocity on velocity throws

+ Probably throws best on the move to be honest. Can really generate some good heat on these kind of throws

+ Not a great athlete, but fairly decent for the QB position

+ Not afraid to test coverages and attempt throw into tight windows

+ Will usually take what the defense gives against soft coverages

+ Keeps both hands on the ball when he's flushed or on the move

+ Understands how to slide and protect himself

+ May have upside in terms of development

- Unlike fellow FCS QB Easton Stick, has no experience taking snaps from under center or executing drops, roll outs, etc. Operates strictly from the shotgun

- He's a first read QB. Really struggles to come off that first read

- Doesn't scan the field or go through progressions

- Stares down receivers

- Doesn't yet know how to manipulate or move defenders with his eyes

- Will usually leave the pocket prematurely if his first read isn't open

- Accuracy is hit and miss...drops off beyond 15 yards

- Has a lot to learn about the QB position

Winning quarterback at the FCS level with a good amount of starting experience and quality arm strength and efficient release. Has a lot to learn about the fundamentals and nuances of playing the quarterback position. A good QB coach could really bring this kid a long ways. Seems to be a high character kid, which is good if he wants to learn. Does he want to be a pro QB? How important is football to him? If you like his answers, looks to be worth a late round pick in my opinion. Must want to become a chess player at the QB position. Right now he's playing low level checkers. Plays one of the more simplistic games of any Senior quarterback I've scouted. Well behind Stick in terms of development despite plenty of starting experience.

Should've included an example. This particular one was still catchable but it's part of a pattern of throwing low.

This is release point issue. He seems to let go late. I wonder if he was a pitcher in HS or college.
When you throw a baseball you really exaggerate the finish and follow - the ball almost spins off the hand. The arm never slows as it hits your side.

Keep in mind that Mississippi St. defense is the truth. Literally might be the best in the country. They shut down everybody and make em look bad.

Also, it will be interesting to see Ta'amu in an offense that doesn't force him to throw the ball down the field or outside the numbers constantly. All those isolation routes make it tough. Ta'amu has thrown many a dime the last 2 years - hes had to.

He's still probably the most interesting Senior in terms of arm and athleticism combo, which was touched on somewhat. Everybody has a bad game, especially against a defense that good. But he's never had a stretch of poor play, unlike a few others.

Keep in mind that Mississippi St. defense is the truth. Literally might be the best in the country. They shut down everybody and make em look bad.

Didn't shut Franks and the Gators down though :p

Didn't shut Franks and the Gators down though :p

Yeah Miss. St.'s defense pretty much shut down not only Franks, but the running game as well. Only TD came on a trick play double pass by a WR to a TE.

The defense did their job holding Florida to only 13 points and no runner over 50 yards or so. They lost because Nick Fitzgerald was playing like trash.

Yeah Miss. St.'s defense pretty much shut down not only Franks, but the running game as well. Only TD came on a trick play double pass by a WR to a TE.

The defense did their job holding Florida to only 13 points and no runner over 50 yards or so. They lost because Nick Fitzgerald was playing like trash.

I'm just messing dude :)

Something that is shocking me as I get through charting all of Easton Stick's work is, through 8 games he's got a completion percentage of only 57.5 percent, which I think people would normally want to criticize quite a bit, and yet I only have him MISSING about 14.7 percent of his throws. His receivers are leaving a LOT of catches on the field.

It's one thing if he's throwing up a bunch of 50/50 balls that are catchable, therefore aren't really misses, but the receivers aren't coming down with them. Those are there, as they are with every QB.

But in this case I've got a bunch of straight up drops, perfectly executed back-shoulder throws that aren't finished by the receiver, balls that land right in the receiver's hands only to be separated by a hit that really should not have separated the ball from the receiver, well thrown footballs that are being caught with an inadvertent foot out of bounds, etc. There's one throw where a defender grabbed the receiver's jersey and pulled him backward, whereas Easton had already released the ball, and so now the ball comes down away from the receiver but only because he'd been knocked off his route (un-flagged, of course).

Literally passes hitting guys right in the face mask, or being batted away by the receiver like the ball has cooties. It's quite maddening.

Something that is shocking me as I get through charting all of Easton Stick's work is, through 8 games he's got a completion percentage of only 57.5 percent, which I think people would normally want to criticize quite a bit, and yet I only have him MISSING about 14.7 percent of his throws. His receivers are leaving a LOT of catches on the field.

It's one thing if he's throwing up a bunch of 50/50 balls that are catchable, therefore aren't really misses, but the receivers aren't coming down with them. Those are there, as they are with every QB.

But in this case I've got a bunch of straight up drops, perfectly executed back-shoulder throws that aren't finished by the receiver, balls that land right in the receiver's hands only to be separated by a hit that really should not have separated the ball from the receiver, well thrown footballs that are being caught with an inadvertent foot out of bounds, etc. There's one throw where a defender grabbed the receiver's jersey and pulled him backward, whereas Easton had already released the ball, and so now the ball comes down away from the receiver but only because he'd been knocked off his route (un-flagged, of course).

Literally passes hitting guys right in the face mask, or being batted away by the receiver like the ball has cooties. It's quite maddening.

You are gonna get some T shirts and hats made with the guy's picture on it for draft day, aren't you ? :) Where do you see him going, late rounder, UDFA or better than that ?

You are gonna get some T shirts and hats made with the guy's picture on it for draft day, aren't you ? :) Where do you see him going, late rounder, UDFA or better than that ?

When the NFL catches on about his velocity, which I assume they will at some point because they have sophisticated ways of deriving it off the tape, not to mention they'll get him on the radar gun, then I think he'll move up as teams take a fresh look at him and realize this is a guy that has a legit pro arm in addition to the speed/athleticism.

It's hard for me to imagine him not going in Day 2.

When the NFL catches on about his velocity, which I assume they will at some point because they have sophisticated ways of deriving it off the tape, not to mention they'll get him on the radar gun, then I think he'll move up as teams take a fresh look at him and realize this is a guy that has a legit pro arm in addition to the speed/athleticism.

It's hard for me to imagine him not going in Day 2.

So you are looking at teams that have a stable situation at QB and are just looking at picking up a guy they could develop, rather than a Josh Allen type of prospect that a team with a desperate need are willing to overpay in the hope his physical tools will translate ?

Back
Top Bottom