Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

So you are looking at teams that have a stable situation at QB and are just looking at picking up a guy they could develop, rather than a Josh Allen type of prospect that a team with a desperate need are willing to overpay in the hope his physical tools will translate ?

I think the combination of his size and level of competition probably dictate that. When you get a guy coming out of the FCS that goes high it's usually going to be an "off the bus" type that impresses the hell out of you just staring at him (because he's big). Those would be Carson Wentz and Joe Flacco.

I don't know exactly how tall Easton Stick is, I fear he might be closer to 6'0" than 6'2" but you never know that until they're measured. But I know that if you're coming out of the FCS trying to be a high 1st round pick, which is what you're talking about where a team in desperate need of a QB is going to put their name next to you and say, you're my guy for the next three years, then I think you've got to be tall AND big armed AND athletic AND high character, etc. You've seen guys that break some of those rules continue to be 1st round picks but not necessarily out of the FCS.

Tough for me to imagine he goes below where Jimmy Garoppolo went, though.

Miami could justify it if they went out and got Teddy Bridgewater. They'd be able to say we've got two very promising guys and we're going to let them compete.

The reason I mentioned Stick again the other day was just because I was finishing up charting and cataloging his throws.

Here are two videos that I can soup up pretty easily, now that everything's cataloged. Keep in mind this is everything. I'm not withholding bad outcomes. You'll see plenty of the good and bad. Mostly good.

All Drop Backs from Under Center in 2018:

All Scrambles & Sacks in 2018:

The reason I mentioned Stick again the other day was just because I was finishing up charting and cataloging his throws.

Here are two videos that I can soup up pretty easily, now that everything's cataloged. Keep in mind this is everything. I'm not withholding bad outcomes. You'll see plenty of the good and bad. Mostly good.

All Drop Backs from Under Center in 2018:

All Scrambles & Sacks in 2018:

I had a few takeaways from those clips.

1- Very few bad throws on his dropbacks. And zero ints. I don't care if it's FCS. That's impressive.
2- His ball placement seems really good, especially on short throws.
3- He seems decisive.
4- It's a little thing, but his play at the 8:40 mark really impressed me, scrambling and getting the ball to his left hand to throw the ball away and avoid the sack. He knows how to play the game. Looking at NDSU's stats, they have only given up 10 sacks this year, and 47 over the three years he's started full time. It sure looks like he deserves a lot of credit for that with his pocket presence and ability to make things happen with his feet.

I'd be tickled if we could get this kid in the second. Considering how weak this QB class is, I don't know there is a signal caller the Dolphins should invest a 1st rd pick in. You grab a guy in the first and he's normally going to get a few years to develop before you're risking another high pick on a QB. Is there really a QB worth sinking 3-4 years of time in out there this year? I'd rather take a shot at a kid like this who checks all the boxes except height and competition. And there are enough FCS QBs playing on Sundays that the level of competition doesn't bother me that much. Of course, as bad as the QB talent level is, it's not impossible to think that he might slip into the back of the first. Anyway, thanks for sharing the clips and your thoughts on Stick CK.

If anyone on this board is high on Stick,
So are NFL scouts. If he’s that good he’ll be pushed up the boards.

Just a quick update on Drew Anderson. Slimm probably the only one that will care.

As it happens, and this is a total coincidence, but Drew went ahead and hired one of my friends as his agent.

I swear nothing I've written or done on him had anything to do with that. I have no financial relationships with agents whatsoever (I can't; if you knew what I actually do for a living you'd understand why I wouldn't dare screw around with something like that!). It's just a very weird coincidence. Or maybe not a coincidence since my friend might have been pursuing him a little harder in part because I like him so much? Maybe. I doubt it.

Drew is going to play in the College Gridiron Classic, with the possibility of getting picked up to the NFLPA Bowl.

Right now he's a bit star-crossed on his Pro Day. As a Murray State guy he's going to need to try and participate in someone else's Pro Day. The problem is, no school wants two QBs working out at the same Pro Day. And there are rules about which Pro Days you can participate in.

If Tyree Jackson comes out then he can't participate in Buffalo's Pro Day because they'll want to reserve the throwing for Tyree. Anderson otherwise would have to stay within 50 miles of Murray State, so he can't do Kentucky's Pro Day. Vanderbilt has Kyle Shurmur (a favorite of Slimm's), so he can't go there. Basically Western Kentucky is his only option, and my friend is pretty worried there just aren't enough pro prospects that will be at that Pro Day to make it count.

We were wondering aloud with one another which teams would be good fits. I think NE and SF, but he thinks TEN, AZ, or CLE.

Meanwhile Easton Stick is tearing up the FCS playoffs. Had a banner game tonight against the arch rivals SDSU in the semi finals, after good games against Colgate and Montana State. He'll now appear in yet another FCS Finals.

Coach Klieman, who just accepted the Kansas State head coaching job, called Easton Stick "the best player in college football" after the game.

I do have some news on him. One very well placed source told me they believe he's going to sign with Tom Condon of CAA. But another well placed source told me they think David Dunn of Athletes First will sign him.

Both of them are proverbial "super agents". Dunn manages Aaron Rodgers. Condon manages guys like Eli Manning, Alex Smith, and Matt Stafford.

If they're BOTH bidding for Easton Stick's business, it tells you quite a bit about what they think of him.

I hear, again from a well placed source, Stick is going to get the NFL Combine invite.

I hear from another respected source that the thinking right now out in the NFL is that he's a Day 2 guy, which sounds about right to me for now, but I think the arrow is still pointing up.

I hear from another respected source that the thinking right now out in the NFL is that he's a Day 2 guy, which sounds about right to me for now, but I think the arrow is still pointing up.

I don’t think there’s such thing as a day 2 QB anymore. Teams want that rookie on that 5 year deal or they wait for the sliders. If Stick checks most of the boxes I’d be willing to bet, probably will, that he’s a first round pick.

I’m honestly liking what I keep reading and hearing about Easton Stick. Day 2 Qb? **** I’ll take it. I still kinda like Ta’amu as well as a late round flyer to put on the PS.

I don’t think there’s such thing as a day 2 QB anymore. Teams want that rookie on that 5 year deal or they wait for the sliders. If Stick checks most of the boxes I’d be willing to bet, probably will, that he’s a first round pick.

See what you're saying. I think specifically you might amend your statement to say there's no such thing as a Round 2 QB anymore and that I would mostly agree with. But I think there are still Round 3 QBs.

Haven't seen who, but Stick would make sense.

Would be borderline trolling if it turns out to be RB Bruce Anderson, WR Darrius Shepherd, C Tanner Volson, or S Robbie Grimsley.

Nagy has had the GIF of Easton Stick dribbling the football pinned to the top of his tweets so I've no doubt it's him.

I bet this came about as a result of either NFL or agent feedback. He may have found out which agents were after Easton, and put two and two together, or the scouts may have told him flatly he's a Day 2 pick and it would be weird for that not to be invited to the Senior Bowl.

I don't have a ton of faith in the new Senior Bowl staff after I found out, from a friend who spoke to one of their scouting understudies, that Trace McSorely was one of their highest priorities. Like, not just invited. A top priority. From the get-go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom