Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

Nope. He made a huge throw to Custis on the run to his left with Justin Hollins bearing down on him that was incredible. You have to understand these coaching staffs have seen these quarterbacks all week in practice, they know which ones are capable of what. That's why you didn't see any throws that stretch the field by any quarterback except Ta'amu. As soon as he came in the game is when you saw some attempts to stretch the field. His stroke is just on a different level than the other quarterbacks there this week. Along with his athleticism. If you've studied all the quarterbacks that were there prior to this week, you knew that going in. If you didn't, you should know it coming out of the game if you watched it. He's an SEC quarterback down there with MWC and FCS quarterbacks. It's a given.

He'll certainly be drafted at some point in the middle rounds, although the only other QB's there that might get late round consideration are Rypien and Stick. I don't believe the others ever really had a shot to begin with. Rypien is capable of executing quicker throws as long he's in a clean pocket. He falls off drastically anything beyond that. That's what I always saw on tape with him.

The coaching staffs aren't tasked with making these quarterbacks look bad in a setting like this. Which is why you saw RPO's with McMaryion for example, and deeper routes with longer developing plays with Ta'amu. It's why you saw play action roll outs with Stick from under center - it's what he's used to doing at NDSU. Ta'amu made another incredible throw to Godwin that Hartage stripped out of his hands, ruled a fumble and returned almost for a score. McMaryion should've had 3 picks, with the one that Ulysses Gilbert almost picked off resulting in what would've been a pick six. Ta'amu was easily the best quarterback there, but we agree on McMaryion being a non factor as an NFL prospect.

If Awsi knows anybody that wants to bet a little money on which one is the better NFL prospect, they've got a sucker right here. They can win some easy money.

Nope to what ? Nope that he wasn't inaccurate, because if you rewind the tape early on I think his first throws were overthrown and or landed way out of bounds. Listen, I'm not arguing with you, I see the talent there, like I said he looks the part, but I also don't think he put in his best performance and that might not be down to a number of things, like the coaching or the players around him.

If you read my original reamrk I was commenting on who had the best game not who was the best prospect. What I learned from this game (and I've not seen a lot of Ta'amu, I have to admit), is that Stick and Ta'amu are two players I would consider drafting, I wouldn't draft any one of the others though even Rypien or Blough, neither has a the wow factor that I think is essential for our next QB. But it is clear from the game that both Ta'amu and Stick are projects rather than someone that you could start next year (unless the plan is of course to tank).

Ta’amu was impressive. I would still draft Stick above him because I believe there’s something missing with Ta’amu, a lot like Tannehill. But he had the best game.

Ta’amu is my pick for the middle rounds. He’s shown enough to warrant a pick to develop.

Based on season game footage alone I’d take Stick. He’s not going to rise like I’d hoped but that’s probably a good thing. That being said I still believe Miami will take a QB in round one this year. So no Stick for you.

Well, the bottom line is these All-Star practices confirmed what a lot of people who studied all these quarterbacks felt all along - it's just a poor class of quarterbacks this year among the Senior group. Thorson is the only one who never got to participate since he had to pull out due to an ankle injury, but the rest are what some of us thought they were which ain't much.

I know a lot of people were fans of certain QB's and didn't want to accept that for some reason. But it is what it is. Haskins and Murray among the underclassman are the only real hope for finding a difference maker at the quarterback position.

One of 'em may go out and have a good performance in the game itself tomorrow like Kyle Lauletta did last year, but most of the scouts will have already left town. They saw what they needed to see during the week of practices.

He's not completely wrong about Stidham in this setting. Especially as he's throwing next to guys like Daniel Jones and Will Grier, who have arm talent deficiencies, and then Drew Lock who also has a good arm but who presents some serious problems of his own at times. This is a good setting for Stidham.

Sometimes I think I'm a bit hard on Jarrett Stidham. The idea has been floated to me by some NFL people that he and Guz Malzahn are just oil and water, that he's going to be better in a pro style system. Maybe. I'd hate to completely discount the possibility. I'd also hate to put his name on the card I turn in and miss out on some of the alternatives.

I'm big on the STUDY of arm strength and arm talent. Always have been.

I'm not necessarily big on its weighting in the final grade, which is why I continue to show a tendency to develop crushes on guys that are arm-deficient and don't end up making it (e.g. Rakeem Cato, Chris Streveler, Connor Shaw, Brandon Doughty, Mike Kafka, Chandler Harnish, Matt Barkley, T.J. Yates). I tend to put more on the PERFORMANCE aspect of the position, and thus I fall into those traps. Not that there are times it hasn't gone the other way. Nate Davis, Ryan Mallett, Ben Chappell, Tyler Russell come to mind. Big arm talent, made me think they were really underrated. But I'd say more often it's the arm-deficient, scrappy performers that get me.

But anyway I am big on the study of arm talent and arm strength. It's intriguing. There's a lot of science in there. It basically is physics. But it's highly complicated and there's a lot of art to it as well. Things that are a great mix of those tend to capture my interest.

I can tell you the average velocity over various distances he's generally put on the tape. And I can tell you that about the likes of Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Will Grier, and Gardner Minshew as well.

And that's why I found the below Zebra Technology readings informative.

Here's why:

1. Of course, Will Grier's readouts are way above where he normally is during the WVU games. He has clearly been red-lining his throws in order to try and impress the scouts.

2. The fact Drew Lock did not top either of those top two is really interesting, because during games he EASILY tops them. Which to me suggests he's being very cautious and careful, in order to try and impress scouts with accuracy and execution.

3. The same is absolutely true of Tyree Jackson. They're both under-delivering on velocity to try and be careful about execution.

4. Jarrett Stidham's readouts are pretty much bang-on for what you measure during the games. He's just...being who he is. There's something to be said for that.

5. The fact that guys like Gardner Minshew, Trace McSorely, Ryan Finley, and Daniel Jones do not appear in the top two, suggests they may be doing the same as Stidham, just being who they are.

I was highish on Stidham going into 2017. I didn't think he was good, but I thought he had a chance to be good.

I'm def not disputing that he can throw the ball vs air. I'm saying Riddick is being silly for thinking it's a reason to like a QB. If a guy can't throw vs air, it's obv a bad sign, but the ability to do so should only be seen as a bare minimum - not a reason to think someone is good.

Stidham is certainly one of those guys that could look better in a different offense, but I don't necessarily believe Gus's offense was Stidham's problem. I think dealing with pressure and double clutching the football were Stidham's issues.

We have a kid coming in this year as a freshman who played at Hewitt-Trussville - Paul Tyson - Bear Bryant's great grandson. The coach at HT worships Gus Malzahn and runs Gus's offense, and Tyson is a poor fit for that offense. He'll be a much better fit for the type of offense he'll be asked to run at Alabama. But if he can't deal with pressure and make decisions better than Lil Tua, he won't be able to beat him out for a starting job. He'll be a program backup. I think the same applies for Stidham in the NFL.

I don't know how many QBs will be at the Combine this year, usually between 15 and 20 of them, but Easton Stick will be among them.

With Kyler Murray most likely out of the equation for Miami, I'm back to focusing on my second favorite QB for the Dolphins in this draft, Easton Stick of North Dakota State.

There are nice plays in his season-long tape regardless of level of competition.

You can take Easton Stick in the 3rd round or even later, and you can still aim for a premium prospect in 2020. But this is a great roll of the dice and a way to fill out the depth at an important position.

And don't be shocked if he's Kirk Cousins.

Back
Top Bottom