Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

I don't like Stidham's composure under pass rush pressure. Not a big Easton Stick fan. I'd probably take every quarterback on my list here over him.

I don't like Stidham's composure under pass rush pressure. Not a big Easton Stick fan. I'd probably take every quarterback on my list here over him.

I wouldn't take him before the 7th just because of that ridiculous name alone after never watching him play. Easton Stick has about as much chance of being a franchise QB as Blaine Gabbert did ... based on a similar criteria.

What do you all think of Will Grier?. I was upset when the Gators let him go because of the PEDs. Looks like he’s matured since then and his accuracy is gold.

I’m all in on the Jarrett Stidham train though, I think he’s going to be good this year, he’s a smart football player with brains to dissect a defense. I also want to see how Shea Patterson plays in Harbaughs system, he could be good as well.

Last edited:
Justice Hansen is really talented, compelling on the field.

But man do I get a Todd Marinovich vibe coming off him.

What do you all think of Will Grier?. I was upset when the Gators let him go because of the PEDs. Looks like he’s matured since then and his accuracy is gold.

I’m all in on the Jarrett Stidham train though, I think he’s going to be good this year, he’s a smart football player with brains to dissect a defense. I also want to see how Shea Patterson plays in Harbaughs system, he could be good as well.

Will Grier has some undeniable talent and moxie, but the history and the wildness (accuracy, decision making) on the field are a little unnerving. Not for weak stomachs, that's for sure.

Any of these guys could put it together and become a really good prospect and that includes Grier. There's a lot of talent out there. Sometimes I wonder why so much focus on just Will Grier. Maybe it's the stats (which were incredible, though not unheard of in Dana Holgorsen's offense). Maybe it's the obvious comparison to Mayfield. Maybe it's the mystique of having been 6-0 at Florida before getting caught for the PEDs, the fact he's really only lost 3 games in his college career (13 wins).

But there are a lot of guys out there that have talent. Justice Hansen has talent. Drew Anderson, Nick Fitzgerald, Ryan Finley, Drew Lock, Clayton Thorson, Eric Dungey, and Kyle Kempt have talent. Those are just the seniors. Among the underclass, you've got to contend with the likes of Khalil Tate, Brian Lewerke, Jake Bentley, Armani Rogers, Justin Herbert, Elijah Sindelar, Daniel Jones, Nate Stanley, Tyree Jackson, Shea Patterson. Tons of talent just lying around on the ground. The question is what are you going to do to separate?

Just having big stats in Dana Holgorsen's Air Raid aren't enough. Just having a big arm and arm talent aren't enough because most of those guys do, too. Many of them have better size. I talk about Khalil Tate some, well I know what Khalil does to separate himself. At 18 years old the kid is setting FBS records running for 300+ yards in a game with his 4.4 speed, then turning around and killing defenses with that beautiful, natural stroke of his. What separates Will Grier?

Grier does remind me of Rex Grossman, quite a bit.

Senior Bowl watch list is out. Basically it's Slimm's seniors, with the following changes:

Not on Senior Bowl Watch List
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn (they may not consider him a Senior)
Riley Neal, Ball State (ditto)
Dru Brown, Oklahoma State

On Senior Bowl Watch List
Jonathan Banks, Tulane
Taryn Christion, South Dakota State
Keller Chryst, Tennessee
Devlin Hodges, Samford
Tanner Mangum, BYU
Marcus McMaryion, Fresno State
Hayden Moore, Cincinnati
Frank Nutile, Temple
Malik Rosier, Miami
Wilton Speight, UCLA
Easton Stick, North Dakota State

Riley Neal got a medical redshirt for 2017 so I think he may actually be a redshirt junior this year. Stidham also I think technically a redshirt junior this year.

Not having either of those guys on the Senior Bowl Watch List would be pretty egregious.

I'm not sure on Dru Brown's status. They may just not like him.

I'll have to make the proper adjustments for Stidham and Neal if I acknowledge them both as underclassman.

I'm pretty sure Dru Brown just lost the battle for the starting QB position for the Pokes.

I was wondering if anyone here on the draft forum has seen Drew Lock's last 2 games? He sure looks much improved over what I saw last year. Was hoping to get your thought about what you've seen so far. He sure looks like he can make all the throws expected of an NFL starter. He throws a very catchable ball and seems to be able to go through his progressions while reading defenses. On top of all that he has an uncanny knack for dropping his long balls right into the bucket. His pocket awareness seems to be above average as well. Lock is the type of QB, I think Gase would fall in love with.

I was wondering if anyone here on the draft forum has seen Drew Lock's last 2 games? He sure looks much improved over what I saw last year. Was hoping to get your thought about what you've seen so far. He sure looks like he can make all the throws expected of an NFL starter. He throws a very catchable ball and seems to be able to go through his progressions while reading defenses. On top of all that he has an uncanny knack for dropping his long balls right into the bucket. His pocket awareness seems to be above average as well. Lock is the type of QB, I think Gase would fall in love with.

The thing is, he hasn't really been tested yet. He could close his eyes and look good against UT-Martin. Wyoming's defense provided a little more of a challenge, but where you really have to start paying attention is when SEC play starts.

Lock throws a great deep ball. He's better at that than he is throwing underneath or mid range. The weakness for Lock in my opinion is that he struggles with medium range throws. He hasn't really developed a nuanced way to throw in the middle of the field or underneath - he hasn't learned how to take a little something off of certain throws yet. Everything is a sidearm fastball underneath. Furthermore, he tends to lose underneath defenders and this is where he's subject to throw interceptions. He almost threw what would've been a pick 6 in one of these situations against Wyoming but the DB dropped it.

He's a decent quarterback prospect with an NFL caliber arm and decent size. Where he's improved the most in my opinion from last year is his movement skills. He was a statue. People have to keep in mind that he's still barely above a 53% passer for his career, and has a 7-17 record against SEC competition. I don't think he's franchise quarterback material, but in reality very, very few are. He's just an average quarterback prospect in my estimation. There are Drew Lock's in almost every draft. I have him graded very similar to Bryce Petty coming out of Baylor.

The thing is, he hasn't really been tested yet. He could close his eyes and look good against UT-Martin. Wyoming's defense provided a little more of a challenge, but where you really have to start paying attention is when SEC play starts.

Lock throws a great deep ball. He's better at that than he is throwing underneath or mid range. The weakness for Lock in my opinion is that he struggles with medium range throws. He hasn't really developed a nuanced way to throw in the middle of the field or underneath - he hasn't learned how to take a little something off of certain throws yet. Everything is a sidearm fastball underneath. Furthermore, he tends to lose underneath defenders and this is where he's subject to throw interceptions. He almost threw what would've been a pick 6 in one of these situations against Wyoming but the DB dropped it.

He's a decent quarterback prospect with an NFL caliber arm and decent size. Where he's improved the most in my opinion from last year is his movement skills. He was a statue. People have to keep in mind that he's still barely above a 53% passer for his career, and has a 7-17 record against SEC competition. I don't think he's franchise quarterback material, but in reality very, very few are. He's just an average quarterback prospect in my estimation. There are Drew Lock's in almost every draft. I have him graded very similar to Bryce Petty coming out of Baylor.
Perhaps I've took too much into how easy it looked for him these last 2 games and those long pass plays. I've read he's a bit more accurate than he's get credit for. His receivers have had the dropseies on him. I'll just file this one away as a hopeful homer, in myself, who knows Miami may need a young developmental type QB for the long term; in spite of the Luke Falk signing.

Last edited:
Very impressed with Steven Montez who looks very much an NFL QB.

Drew Anderson is in a terrible situation to put up any numbers or win any games this year. I think it's a lost season for him. The size, arm strength and movement skills stick out like a sore thumb on the field at the FCS level. It's a little bit strange looking.

Probably have to show what he's made of in a lower tier All-Star setting after the season and work his way up through invites to bigger All-Star settings.

He's really looking at UDFA status based on what's happening. Which is a shame but I don't doubt his ability to work his way through it.

I think I did a writeup on Justice Hansen somewhere in this forum a while back.

Slimm I'd love to know where you end up on him coming out of that Alabama game.

Pretty much everyone is being overwhelmed by Alabama right now and far be it a Arkansas State to buck that trend. But I saw a guy with talent who was punching. It was a losing battle, but he punched the whole way. The players all around him on offense were totally flaccid. I can't believe how many drops he had to endure. If I were him I'd have started slashing their tires and throwing drinks in their faces, but he just patiently kept feeding them good ball after good ball, good decision after good decision (a few exceptions). I didn't even necessarily see bad body language, which REALLY makes me wonder (more on that).

He was a guy that I watched last year, liked a lot, clearly saw the potential, knew he'd go on 'the list' so to speak because it's all about watching to see which guys reach out and take that next step. I saw his other action this year against the likes of Tulsa, UNLV, Georgia Southern, and was very impressed. He looks pretty much exactly like you'd expect some swinging dick pro quarterback to look if he somehow ended up at Arkansas State.

But I knew the statistics were bad against Bama and they lost by a ton, so I was sort of bracing myself for what that tape was going to look like, and rather than being a turn-off, it ended up being a very strongly affirming piece of evidence.

The arm talent is ridiculous, as you'd expect of a guy who used to be an elite level QB prospect coming out of high school. But it's the other stuff that has me. The running ability is fantastic! There was a point against Bama, you may even remember it, on a scramble it looked like he may even give Deionte Thompson of all players a run for his money in a foot race. When you see it you see it, and I seent it.

You will of course remember what was so attractive about Gunner Kiel and the way he could use the deep middle. Justice Hansen does that too. But the f-ckup factor isn't anywhere close to Kiel, nor the bad body language, which is huge because I'm wary of a guy like Hansen with his background.

It makes for a nice story, a guy who hit rock bottom and climbed his way out of it. But I don't like guys with rain clouds that seem to follow them everywhere. You could almost see like a Todd Marinovich situation developing with him. But...what if he really IS straightened out, got some religion, whatever? (whistle)

This is not a great senior class. I struggle to think of anyone on this list I've seen that looks better on tape.

I think I did a writeup on Justice Hansen somewhere in this forum a while back.

Slimm I'd love to know where you end up on him coming out of that Alabama game.

Pretty much everyone is being overwhelmed by Alabama right now and far be it a Arkansas State to buck that trend. But I saw a guy with talent who was punching. It was a losing battle, but he punched the whole way. The players all around him on offense were totally flaccid. I can't believe how many drops he had to endure. If I were him I'd have started slashing their tires and throwing drinks in their faces, but he just patiently kept feeding them good ball after good ball, good decision after good decision (a few exceptions). I didn't even necessarily see bad body language, which REALLY makes me wonder (more on that).

He was a guy that I watched last year, liked a lot, clearly saw the potential, knew he'd go on 'the list' so to speak because it's all about watching to see which guys reach out and take that next step. I saw his other action this year against the likes of Tulsa, UNLV, Georgia Southern, and was very impressed. He looks pretty much exactly like you'd expect some swinging dick pro quarterback to look if he somehow ended up at Arkansas State.

But I knew the statistics were bad against Bama and they lost by a ton, so I was sort of bracing myself for what that tape was going to look like, and rather than being a turn-off, it ended up being a very strongly affirming piece of evidence.

The arm talent is ridiculous, as you'd expect of a guy who used to be an elite level QB prospect coming out of high school. But it's the other stuff that has me. The running ability is fantastic! There was a point against Bama, you may even remember it, on a scramble it looked like he may even give Deionte Thompson of all players a run for his money in a foot race. When you see it you see it, and I seent it.

You will of course remember what was so attractive about Gunner Kiel and the way he could use the deep middle. Justice Hansen does that too. But the f-ckup factor isn't anywhere close to Kiel, nor the bad body language, which is huge because I'm wary of a guy like Hansen with his background.

It makes for a nice story, a guy who hit rock bottom and climbed his way out of it. But I don't like guys with rain clouds that seem to follow them everywhere. You could almost see like a Todd Marinovich situation developing with him. But...what if he really IS straightened out, got some religion, whatever? (whistle)

This is not a great senior class. I struggle to think of anyone on this list I've seen that looks better on tape.

You know, I thought the players around him on offense let him down a bunch, they were just overwhelmed. But that's usually the case when facing Bama. However, I really didn't come out of that game believing Hansen was any less overwhelmed than anybody else.

I think the Redwolves staff should've let him throw the ball downfield more. Too many pre-determined throws in that offense. Once Bama's DB's got in sync with that - Hansen was done.

He threw a pick six to Savion Smith on a WR screen. Xavier McKinney had another one right in his chest that was going to be another pick six on a WR screen. You simply cannot play Bama like that. You might as well not even come to the stadium if that's your game plan. You have to throw the ball downfield (up the seams) against Saban to even give yourself a chance.

Ultimately I think we're in agreement in regards to the Senior class of QB's. There are things I like about Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorson & Will Grier, but they're flawed in areas that prevent them from being true difference makers at the next level.

Which causes me to keep defaulting back to my original assessment in regards to the Senior crop - Drew Anderson is the kid with the most NFL potential as a starter in my estimation. He's beginning to develop some chemistry with his new teammates. He looks so out of place at that level of football. But it's just not a good situation for him to excel as a prospect. I can't even remember the last time Murray St. won more than 3 or 4 games.

Back
Top Bottom