Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

Slimm mentioned that Drew Lock had yet to develop a "nuanced" selection of throws, despite great arm strength. This is something that Drew Anderson of Murray State has on him.

Anderson definitely has the same caliber arm strength as Drew Lock. This fast ball is as fast as anything I've seen out of Drew Lock, on about a 30 yard throw. Anderson had his feet, was able to step into it, and drove this football about 54-55 mph average speed over the distance.

And on this throw you see Anderson rolling to his right. What I found most interesting about this one is his feet are actually off the ground when he heaves this thing, all arm and upper body, keeping the ball's average speed at about 52 mph.

Now this ball doesn't have the same energy as the previous two (I believe it was about 47-48 mph), but note that he's rolling LEFT and throwing against his body leverage. The ball still flies off his hand, and that's important.

And finally, this is the coup de grace (to me). The above instances are all about your arm strength and range. Can you drive the football, can you drill it rolling right, can you still get energy and accuracy rolling left. THIS throw below though, is all about nuance.

This is virtually the same distance as the first throw that he drove at about 54-55 mph. But he's got to drop the ball OVER top of a defender, and still get the ball to SIT underneath another defender. So it's the same distance as the other throw, which he stepped into and took a 54-55 mph arc trajectory, but this time he chooses a 44 mph arc trajectory so that he can sneak it over that lower defender.

That's a lot of arm talent.

And just as a bonus...this guy also has a great set of wheels, when he gets up to speed.

I would like to see his eyes go to the right place in the second clip - defense is playing off in some quarters variation and had his receiver standing there wide open. #22 I believe. He never got his eyes over there to him. That's a free 10 yard gain at minimum.

Lets just assume conservatively on guys coming out and Herbert declares. Where abouts could you see Drew Anderson going in the draft?

Right now?

Let's be honest.

Drew Anderson was the backup at Buffalo, played about four games worth of FBS ball (really well) and then had to transfer to Murray State because nobody else wanted a QB with only one remaining year of eligibility.

Since going to Murray State, which is a bad football team, he struggled in his first couple of games producing any offense, and now things are starting to click for him, but he does make some questionable decisions and reads.

This is a UDFA, traditionally speaking.

He's on the radar of the Senior Bowl which means he will also be on radar for Shrine. But there will be an argument that many of those senior QBs have "earned" those appearances more than he has. Traditionally the Senior Bowl people won't care about "earning" it, they only care who is the best pro prospect. We will see if that changes now that Phil Savage is gone. But I think the Shrine people operate very differently and they do seem to care about who "earned" it even if they're not a particularly good prospect. So there's a very real possibility that Anderson gets shut out of both major All Star games.

Will Grier looked like Gino Toretta facing Brother Bill Oliver's Bama defense in '92 in the national championship game. Iowa St.'s defense isn't Alabama's 1992 defense.

Drew Lock Drew Locked for 4 quarters in Tuscaloosa.

Drew Anderson is really finding his groove. Third game in a row scoring 45 or more points. Threw 5 TD's and ran for another.

Watched Clayton Thorson lead a 99 yard game tying drive with 2 minutes left against Nebraska - going 6 of 8 for 86 yards and throwing the game tying TD pass on the drive. Clutch.

Jordan Ta'amu was also impressive in leading a comeback against a very underrated and stingy Razorback defense. He did it with his arm and his athleticism.

Will Grier looked like Gino Toretta facing Brother Bill Oliver's Bama defense in '92 in the national championship game. Iowa St.'s defense isn't Alabama's 1992 defense.

Drew Lock Drew Locked for 4 quarters in Tuscaloosa.

Drew Anderson is really finding his groove. Third game in a row scoring 45 or more points. Threw 5 TD's and ran for another.

Watched Clayton Thorson lead a 99 yard game tying drive with 2 minutes left against Nebraska - going 6 of 8 for 86 yards and throwing the game tying TD pass on the drive. Clutch.

Jordan Ta'amu was also impressive in leading a comeback against a very underrated and stingy Razorback defense. He did it with his arm and his athleticism.

Ta'amu's games against Alabama and LSU were rough, but the tools are there, and I agree that his performance against Arkansas was heartening. Of the 2019 SEC QB's, he'd be my pick - not early or anything.

https://247sports.com/Article/Washi...is-on-a-Jared-Goff-like-trajectory-123049373/

Gardner Minshew. I laughed when everyone was trying to recruit him as a grad transfer out of ECU, at first he was set to go to Bama. I was like ummm that's dumb of him, then went to WSU. I guess Ive known ECU has been a joke since losing Lincoln Riley but damn this guy averaged 210 a game for us. 410 a game for WSU. I will say one think that I do like about him (IM PRETTY SURE IT WAS MINSHEW and not Phillip Nelson our transfer from Minn) but he sounds exactly like batman at the line of scrimmage when calling out his cadence. both were new and incoming players to the Pirates when I went to their practice in charlotte, but it'd be cool to have batman at QB

At East Carolina there was always something repulsive...maybe even vulgar? If that word makes sense? About Gardner Minshew. But not because he wasn't talented. You could sort of see how one day his technical skills and decision making would catch up to his brain and his balls. I would be a little bit skeptical of that having coincidentally happened in Mike Leach's system.

But I'm intrigued.

At East Carolina there was always something repulsive...maybe even vulgar? If that word makes sense? About Gardner Minshew. But not because he wasn't talented. You could sort of see how one day his technical skills and decision making would catch up to his brain and his balls. I would be a little bit skeptical of that having coincidentally happened in Mike Leach's system.

But I'm intrigued.

this vulgar ... repulsive thing you are referencing at ECU is the most dysfunctional coaches in history, we are losing top recruits. we have one of the top HS QB;s in NC history all time come in this year and we have him just running draw plays. I didn't realize how good Minshew was doing after he left so im intrigued to watch a game live this year for them. When we had Coach Ruff whos Rileys DC now, he wasn't a good coach, just a father figure that the guys rallied around, LR didn't pretty much all the play calling, but the guys wanted to better themselves for Ruff. With coach MO I don't think anyone on the team even gives a damn, I cant really think of any player in the last 3 years that has made a jump (one defensive lineman nate Harvey), in fact I think a lot of our talent has regressed. Coach Mo is hardly a QB whispering, in fact the training camp they had in charlotte he was on his phone the entire time or talking to administrative types walking around. I saw zero coaching at the practice just going through the motions. And I don't know how Minshew will be, I knew kurt Benkert improved when he left EC for Vir when Ruff left so cant really judge by him either.

so hell if a player can be continuely coached up then who knows. (I'm not banging the door for us to draft him in any rounds by no means, if it happens it happens) just saying that a few names are going to show up between now and april where a lot of people were like "Hmmm thought only 1 or 2 were supposed to be top talents, how do we have 5 now?"

No.

What I'm referring to with Gardner Minshew at East Carolina is like the pro QB equivalent of the uncanny valley, which is the creepy, unsettling feeling you get when you see a computer generated or robot face/body that looks and moves VERY close to human, but isn't quite there.

He is essentially Matt Moore as a pro quarterback. That's who he is.

Slimm and ck, what are you real thoughts on a guy like Jordan Ta’amu out of ole miss? Is he worth a draft pick in the upcoming draft?

I am growing to like him. It's limited. But plays like this speak highly of him:

He seems to process quite a few things right there, coming off his first read and immediately checking Octavious Cooley on the crosser, seeing it but knowing his right side is caving and in order to hit it he's going to need to evade the pressure and THEN hit it, and then executing.

I don't have a problem with Ta'amu. I think his mechanics and throwing ability are all very good. He just hasn't really developed the consistency I would like to see yet. He's surrounded by the best offensive skill talent in the country outside of what's in Tuscaloosa, and also has a stellar offensive line. So he should put up the numbers that he typically puts up.

My issue is how he can wilt when facing the top competition like Bama or LSU. Bottom line is he's a good option for a developmental quarterback. Mid to late round prospect in my opinion. He's not special, but you can certainly do a lot worse. And make no mistake, teams will.

I don't have a problem with Ta'amu. I think his mechanics and throwing ability are all very good. He just hasn't really developed the consistency I would like to see yet. He's surrounded by the best offensive skill talent in the country outside of what's in Tuscaloosa, and also has a stellar offensive line. So he should put up the numbers that he typically puts up.

My issue is how he can wilt when facing the top competition like Bama or LSU. Bottom line is he's a good option for a developmental quarterback. Mid to late round prospect in my opinion. He's not special, but you can certainly do a lot worse. And make no mistake, teams will.

Right with you here, Slimm. Very enticing talent, but he's more of a guy that could work out than a guy you would expect to work out in the NFL - mid to late round, as you said.

One thing that makes me a little more excited about him is that he was more efficient (across the board) than Shea Patterson in Mississippi's offense in 2017. Of course, Patterson was a Soph, but he's also a legit prospect (guessing he returns to Michigan for 2019, but who knows?).

If Ta'amu puts together a strong finish (has a nice test vs Auburn today), I could see him rising as high as the 3rd Round. Either way, he's the kind of prospect I'd be looking at this year if I needed a QB. If you're drafting a developmental QB (don't see a Sam Darnold in 2019), get a cheap one.

Right with you here, Slimm. Very enticing talent, but he's more of a guy that could work out than a guy you would expect to work out in the NFL - mid to late round, as you said.

One thing that makes me a little more excited about him is that he was more efficient (across the board) than Shea Patterson in Mississippi's offense in 2017. Of course, Patterson was a Soph, but he's also a legit prospect (guessing he returns to Michigan for 2019, but who knows?).

If Ta'amu puts together a strong finish (has a nice test vs Auburn today), I could see him rising as high as the 3rd Round. Either way, he's the kind of prospect I'd be looking at this year if I needed a QB. If you're drafting a developmental QB (don't see a Sam Darnold in 2019), get a cheap one.

Not a great start for Ta'amu, but Brown has been outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom