Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Kyler Murray going to baseball, no chance of declaring ?

I don't like Daniel Jones at all. Maybe I'll be wrong about that or eventually change my mind but I'm kind of shocked at his high ratings here.

In two games I attended in 2017 and 2018 -- Miami vs. Duke home and road -- Jones had some of the worst awareness and worst anticipation and worst ability to pace and loft of any recent ACC quarterback I've seen against the Canes. Even in Duke's win this year I thought Jones was inept and the game could have been much more lopsided early. He was recipient of a long touchdown run on Duke's first play but then did nothing with very favorable field position the remainder of the first quarter.

Frankly I thought he looked more like Ryan Tannehill than just about anybody I've seen. Technically might be a good athlete but he'll always disappoint if you expect too much of him. Based on this thread, too much is expected of him.

Those games featured 4.0 and 3.7 yards per attempt against the Canes. So yeah, I understand why I came away with that lowly opinion. Very difficult for me to adjust my way from 3.7 and 4.0 upward to decent prospect. Even without those Miami games his YPA has been lousy as a collegian, with so many games below 6.0 it's almost like it is intentional.

I don't like Daniel Jones at all. Maybe I'll be wrong about that or eventually change my mind but I'm kind of shocked at his high ratings here.

In two games I attended in 2017 and 2018 -- Miami vs. Duke home and road -- Jones had some of the worst awareness and worst anticipation and worst ability to pace and loft of any recent ACC quarterback I've seen against the Canes. Even in Duke's win this year I thought Jones was inept and the game could have been much more lopsided early. He was recipient of a long touchdown run on Duke's first play but then did nothing with very favorable field position the remainder of the first quarter.

Frankly I thought he looked more like Ryan Tannehill than just about anybody I've seen. Technically might be a good athlete but he'll always disappoint if you expect too much of him. Based on this thread, too much is expected of him.

Those games featured 4.0 and 3.7 yards per attempt against the Canes. So yeah, I understand why I came away with that lowly opinion. Very difficult for me to adjust my way from 3.7 and 4.0 upward to decent prospect. Even without those Miami games his YPA has been lousy as a collegian, with so many games below 6.0 it's almost like it is intentional.

I just don't see the attraction on him. Poor arm strength. Would probably have the worst arm strength among all NFL starters. And he's no Tyrod Taylor with 4.4 speed and a slot receiver's agility to make up for poor arm strength.

There's a lot I'd disagree with here, but I'd also like to make this point - I have him as my #3 underclassman quarterback prospect. I don't necessarily think that's expecting too much. I have a 2nd round grade on him. In other words, he doesn't grade out as a franchise type quarterback in my estimation. He lacks the upper echelon arm talent.

However, all the quarterbacks ranked below him are even more flawed in my opinion. A lot of quarterbacks have better arm talent, but their flaws are more fatal in terms of overcoming them at the next level.

He had no shot against Clemson tonight. They couldn't block that defensive line even when they just rushed 4. Everytime Venables dialed up a blitz, there was your free blitzer coming completely unblocked and getting free hits on the quarterback. He took a beating. Kept getting up. He never appeared rattled or intimidated in response. And Duke never adjusted. They never tried to keep more guys in to protect, and never implemented quicker/shorter routes as a hot option to account for it.

He's a tough hombre for sure. Kid was back practicing 9 days after a broken collarbone. As I said before, I think he can have a long career in the NFL. Just not a spectacular one. It'll likely be enough to surpass what most of these quarterbacks are going to accomplish.

Hey, there could be a complete overhaul by then. What if we threw in a uniform change?

I've seen a lot of overhauls in Miami, Gonz. They tend to get worse instead of better. However, great football people were willing to come work for the Robbies or Wayne Huizenga.

Nobody with clout or with options is coming to work for the organization the Dolphins have become. But a uniform change back to resembling what the Dolphins are supposed to look like is an absolute must in my opinion.

They've got a lot of ground to make up before I'll send 'em Tua.

I see that Tyler Wiegers of Eastern Michigan has made it into draftable territory on the rankings of Rob Rang's NFL Draft Scout outfit. Which tells you a lot about this seniors group, by the way. But we already knew that.

Anyway they haven't even got the right Eagles quarterback.

Mike Glass, III is a guy that we're going to want to keep a little bit of an eye on next year.

I can't at this point tell you what kind of quarterback he is because there's so little of him playing football. I watched him come in for a struggling Wiegers during the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of the Buffalo game. Clearly a dual threat player, but a pretty good passer nonetheless. Took over against Buffalo down 0-14 and dueled it out to 28-35 finish, accounting for three of the four touchdowns. Some off target passes in the game, some ball security issues that need cleaning up with more experience. Certainly had the right idea on maybe about three throws where the receivers needed to execute better.

He finished the year 55 of 92 for 820 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, with 55 runs for 428 yards and 6 run TDs...with 10 sacks for -37 yards.

What I can tell you is that he's legitimately throwing in that 51 to 55 mph range where the ideal pro NFL starters tend to throw, and where so few college QBs tend to throw. His deep ball is just like everyone else's, which drives me nuts, but the velocity is right there, on a guy who is clearly a good runner and dual threat player. Short, about 6'0", very squat build with good leg strength.

Will be interesting to keep half an eye on him and see if he develops a little more. I'd say Tajh Boyd-ish but with an NFL arm.

Also we don't talk a lot about Kyler Murray because my impression is he's a sure thing to go to baseball.

But if he expressed interest in the NFL Draft then I would get elbow deep on him because I adore what he does out there. He has an NFL arm. I mean if you have a Major League Baseball arm then you probably have an NFL arm too, and he does.

Here's a great example:

The speed on that ball at that distance is basically all the evidence you need.

But this one is also interesting for a different reason:

When you can throw like that and you've also got Tyrod Taylor's pure speed and agility, you really have something cooking, IMO. I don't know how long he'd last, but he would hurt some damned defenses along the way before he burned out.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../oklahoma-quarterback-kyler-murray-mlb-season

The A's drafted Murray, a power-hitting outfielder, with the No. 9 pick in the MLB draft and signed him to a deal that included a $4.66 million signing bonus. The expectation was that he would join the A's when the football season was over. NCAA rules allow Murray to sign a baseball contract and still play football for the Sooners as long as he meets academic requirements.

the NCAA is a funny thing. not funny haha.

204DC8C3-29F3-4813-BFF0-614670D9EC54.jpeg
Milton is done for the season. Doubt he’ll declare for the draft now after that nasty knee injury.

I've held that opinion since spring ball. One of em is likely to transfer.

I don't think either will. Fields knew what he was getting into when he signed probably with the expectation that Fromm would go pro after his junior year. If Fields transfers he'll sit out next year not to eligible until 2020, meanwhile Fromm goes pro after next season & Georgia has an opening in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom