Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

I don't even know who that is !

I'm sure from a financial perspective the earnings are comparable and probably a safer bet going the baseball route. But doing what you love to do and I have to believe that his passion is clearly in football has a huge pull, he'll be a wealthy man whichever way he decides to go, I hope he goes with his heart. I guess the days of Dion Sanders and dual pro sports are over.

Comparable? There's more money in baseball, on a talent for talent basis. If Kyler Murray became the type of QB that picks up a $20 million/year contract, which would make him like a top 10 or 15 player in the NFL, he still wouldn't be getting the same amount of money as if he were an equivalent top 10 or 20 baseball player.

Jeff Samadzija was a standout WR at Notre Dame who could've come to the NFL and been somewhere around a 2nd round pick, but went to baseball instead, and his career earnings is well north of $100 million. And he's not even necessarily a guy you'd know in baseball unless you're a baseball guy.

I do wonder how much more Murray could get in endorsements by playing football instead of baseball.

I do wonder how much more Murray could get in endorsements by playing football instead of baseball.

The money these guys make outside the sport is huge these days. Like I said before, as a foreigner, I can't name a single baseball player currently playing. I don't even see any of them on TV commercials. Murray if he plays to the level he has in college, will be a poster boy and as long as he gets the right agent who knows how to market him will make a ton.

I'm really just trying to convince myself that he should play a proper sport, but I honestly think he has a chance to be a superstar and will be a huge loss to the game if he sticks with the A's. I'm not familiar with his abilities in baseball, he was drafted 9th overall, so he's obviously very good, but is he going to be the type of player that could transform a franchise like he could be in football ?

I like Murray but he’s in uncharted waters when it comes to small. He’s Pat White small. Some compare Murray to Russell Wilson but Wilson is 50 pounds heavier with 10 + inch hands. I’d still probably roll the dice because I do think he can be great.

That's a really great rundown of the situation.

Las Vegas futures odds are pricing in about a 25% chance he chooses the NFL straight up.

I say straight up because it's possible he could choose both. The odds I saw were -500 that he hits an MLB home run first, and +300 that he throws an NFL TD pass first.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a calendar, if he played both, he'd be more likely to hit the home run first. Not sure if minor league home runs would count in the above futures bet.

Last edited:
I like Murray but he’s in uncharted waters when it comes to small. He’s Pat White small. Some compare Murray to Russell Wilson but Wilson is 50 pounds heavier with 10 + inch hands. I’d still probably roll the dice because I do think he can be great.

He's not Pat White small. Pat White was 6002 and 197 lbs. Kyler Murray is a lot shorter than that. As is Russell Wilson. There's absolutely no reason that I can see to even BEGIN with the Pat White comparison, because I'm not sure what even starts us there, unless you're pre-concluding something and then picking a comparison to support your conclusion.

For some reason people don't want to state the obvious which is that Russell Wilson is MAYBE one inch taller than Kyler Murray, maybe, and that's if it's actually true that Murray is closer to 5'9" than his 5'11" listings. Russell Wilson is only 5105.

So this isn't really "uncharted territory".

I don't know how anyone can claim that a certain height, which is potentially less than an inch away from an ELITE player at the position, is a disqualifying trait. That's the point here. If Russell Wilson can be an ELITE quarterback at 5105 than I don't see how you can say that Kyler Murray is disqualified if he's like 5094 or something like that. There's too much space between "ELITE" and "Disqualified" and it's really difficult to imagine one little inch spans that gap. They're both small. They both manage.

He's not Pat White small. Pat White was 6002 and 197 lbs. Kyler Murray is a lot shorter than that. As is Russell Wilson. There's absolutely no reason that I can see to even BEGIN with the Pat White comparison, because I'm not sure what even starts us there, unless you're pre-concluding something and then picking a comparison to support your conclusion.

For some reason people don't want to state the obvious which is that Russell Wilson is MAYBE one inch taller than Kyler Murray, maybe, and that's if it's actually true that Murray is closer to 5'9" than his 5'11" listings. Russell Wilson is only 5105.

So this isn't really "uncharted territory".

I don't know how anyone can claim that a certain height, which is potentially less than an inch away from an ELITE player at the position, is a disqualifying trait. That's the point here. If Russell Wilson can be an ELITE quarterback at 5105 than I don't see how you can say that Kyler Murray is disqualified if he's like 5094 or something like that. There's too much space between "ELITE" and "Disqualified" and it's really difficult to imagine one little inch spans that gap. They're both small. They both manage.

Yeah I stood beside Pat White in Nashville when Miami played the Titans. I’m 6’1” 210 and looked like a Giant next to white. I never once mentioned height. It’s the 50 pound difference in weight that makes Murray easily the smallest QB ever to be considered top 10 material. That is uncharted. Period.

Yeah I stood beside Pat White in Nashville when Miami played the Titans. I’m 6’1” 210 and looked like a Giant next to white. I never once mentioned height. It’s the 50 pound difference in weight that makes Murray easily the smallest QB ever to be considered top 10 material. That is uncharted. Period.

Fact: Pat White measured at the Combine at 6002 and 197 lbs.

That's a really great rundown of the situation.

Las Vegas futures odds are pricing in about a 25% chance he chooses the NFL straight up.

I didn't know he played so few baseball games in college. With him going so high in the draft I figured he played all three years. He basically played one full season at Oklahoma (He only had 49 at bats in 2017 with a .122 Batting average). He's still a major work in progress if he goes that route. He's got some pop but he strikes out a lot and his .298 batting average is above average (nothing to get real excited about). If he goes the baseball route he will probably ride buses for at least a year or 2 in A ball (If not longer or maybe he never makes the majors). I get he has freak athlete ability and I am sure he is a great defensive centerfielder with his speed and arm. The idea of him playing in the NFL is not all that crazy now that I see this information.

Granted the earnings potential in the MLB is substantially higher (keyword is potential) and the health concerns of playing in the NFL may lean him away. I think the NFL is actually the safer financial bet for him though. He might not even make it out of the minor leagues. If he played any other position besides QB, it would be an easy financial decision. You go play baseball. We will see. I would love to see him go to the NFL.

If he goes to the NFL and he goes Top 10 then guaranteed anywhere from $18 million to $33 million depending on where exactly he goes. That would be a fully guaranteed contract.

There would be a fifth year option that would pay him the average of the top 10 at the position, which is currently $20.9 million, but with the current capflation rate should end up somewhere around $27-28 million.

I think that's interesting about him riding buses in the minors for a few years because I've heard that before about him, that if he does well then maybe he'll only do that for "a few years". That has to take the shine off baseball a little bit, knowing that in football he'd be the franchise quarterback immediately, whereas in baseball even if he's doing well he would need a few years in the minors.

Last edited:
Fact: Pat White measured at the Combine at 6002 and 197 lbs.

There is no way White ever played at over 180 while in Miami and I mentioned White because the knock on White was how frail he was. Murray will be by far the smallest QB prospect to ever be considered a top 10 pick and that’s why I said it’s a unique situation. Why you decided to go prick mode on me, I don’t know but I’m unimpressed.

There is no way White ever played at over 180 while in Miami and I mentioned White because the knock on White was how frail he was. Murray will be by far the smallest QB prospect to ever be considered a top 10 pick and that’s why I said it’s a unique situation. Why you decided to go prick mode on me, I don’t know but I’m unimpressed.

Pointing out that there's no similarities between Pat White and Kyler Murray is hardly going "prick mode". Stop acting so wounded.

Pointing out that there's no similarities between Pat White and Kyler Murray is hardly going "prick mode". Stop acting so wounded.

The similarities are obvious. Both are considered two small for the position. But whatever. Not wounded at all just unimpressed by your position and attitude.

If he goes to the NFL and he goes Top 10 then guaranteed anywhere from $18 million to $33 million depending on where exactly he goes. That would be a fully guaranteed contract.

There would be a fifth year option that would pay him the average of the top 10 at the position, which is currently $20.9 million, but with the current capflation rate should end up somewhere around $27-28 million.

I think that's interesting about him riding buses in the minors for a few years because I've heard that before about him, that if he does well then maybe he'll only do that for "a few years". That has to take the shine off baseball a little bit, knowing that in football he'd be the franchise quarterback immediately, whereas in baseball even if he's doing well he would need a few years in the minors.

No doubt about it. You don't see position players go straight from the draft to the majors. Doesn't happen. Even pitchers, don't do that. They may get called up in September for a month since they expand the rosters. Him being so raw and not having that many at bats in college, I could definitely see it taking him 2-3 years to make the majors. Outside chance he never makes it.

I didn't know the first round contracts were that expensive in the NFL (and guaranteed). Never really looked at one, honestly. That makes it even more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom