Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

There is no way White ever played at over 180 while in Miami and I mentioned White because the knock on White was how frail he was. Murray will be by far the smallest QB prospect to ever be considered a top 10 pick and that’s why I said it’s a unique situation. Why you decided to go prick mode on me, I don’t know but I’m unimpressed.

So Kyler Murray is nearly 3 inches shorter than Pat White but that's the most appropriate comparison for Kyler Murray, as opposed to Russell Wilson who might be less than one inch taller than Kyler Murray, because Kyler Murray weighs 195 lbs and Russell Wilson showed up at the Combine weighing 204 lbs.

Ok.

So Kyler Murray is nearly 3 inches shorter than Pat White but that's the most appropriate comparison for Kyler Murray, as opposed to Russell Wilson who might be less than one inch taller than Kyler Murray, because Kyler Murray weighs 195 lbs and Russell Wilson showed up at the Combine weighing 204 lbs.

Ok.

So there is the disconnect. I’m going on what I’ve heard from Matt Miller and a few others that Murray is at 170. I believe that to be accurate.

Regardless of theories about Pat White's actual weight, when he did weigh in, he weight 197 lbs. That's not so different from Russell Wilson's 204 lbs to make me say yeah I have to compare Kyler Murray to Pat White, who is two inches taller than Russell Wilson and probably three inches taller than Kyler Murray, as opposed to Wilson who is probably an inch taller.

I think the Pat White comparison for Kyler Murray is a conclusion in search of a comparison, not a comparison in search of a conclusion. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
Gut feel is that Kyler Murray ends up in football.

I just look at all this as a runaway train that's going to be hard to stop.

He gets this dispensation from the A's to continue playing college football, which already should have raised eyebrows and told you exactly where his heart is. He starts going on a Cinderella run, setting records for offense, winning nearly every game despite the defense not being able to stop anything, gets the Big 12 Championship, now he's in the FBS Playoffs, he's got a Heisman presentation tomorrow with HIM as the favorite, then he'll be playing the best team in the country on December 29th, then he's going to get NFL Draft Advisory Board grades, feedback from NFL teams, discussions with family.

Point is, he's supposed to report for baseball RIGHT AFTER all this wraps up. So he goes on this huge, rewarding, emotional journey, gets the 1st round grade from the NFL, knows that his initial football contract will be bigger than his baseball contract, that he'll be a franchise QB immediately whereas in baseball he'll be riding a bus for a few years, and you want all that to come to a skidding halt so that he can report for baseball?

At what point is he going to think that his decision to pursue baseball came under extraordinary circumstances, where after being the best HS football player in Texas history (Texas!!) he shows up in college and has to wait his turn for a few years. Maybe things got a little gloomy looking when you have a rocky start to your career at Texas A&M, been three years since he experienced that HS football glory, and he decides, yeah baseball looks good right now. But now he's got a taste of it again, and I just don't think he's going to give it up.

Billy Beane should have known better. That's my opinion.

That's a really great rundown of the situation.

Las Vegas futures odds are pricing in about a 25% chance he chooses the NFL straight up.

I say straight up because it's possible he could choose both. The odds I saw were -500 that he hits an MLB home run first, and +300 that he throws an NFL TD pass first.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a calendar, if he played both, he'd be more likely to hit the home run first. Not sure if minor league home runs would count in the above futures bet.

Having read through that piece, I think a 25% chance right now is about right. The thing that has me most concerned that he'll forgo this once in a lifetime chance is the experience of his father who played both sports too. Apparently he drafted by the brewers but struggled so went back to college and took up football only for an ankle injury to prevent him from playing in the NFL. He'll remind his son of his situation.

If he wins the Heisman (which he really should, he beats out Tua on every stat and had a much better champ game, but he probably won't because a lot voted before the champ game and the Tua train has been in full motion all season long) that will raise the odds a little. If he out plays Tua in the playoff, it'll raise the odds even more and if then stars in the National Champ game, I think the lure and push for him to go will be too much to resist.

I didn't know he played so few baseball games in college. With him going so high in the draft I figured he played all three years. He basically played one full season at Oklahoma (He only had 49 at bats in 2017 with a .122 Batting average). He's still a major work in progress if he goes that route. He's got some pop but he strikes out a lot and his .298 batting average is above average (nothing to get real excited about). If he goes the baseball route he will probably ride buses for at least a year or 2 in A ball (If not longer or maybe he never makes the majors). I get he has freak athlete ability and I am sure he is a great defensive centerfielder with his speed and arm. The idea of him playing in the NFL is not all that crazy now that I see this information.

Granted the earnings potential in the MLB is substantially higher (keyword is potential) and the health concerns of playing in the NFL may lean him away. I think the NFL is actually the safer financial bet for him though. He might not even make it out of the minor leagues. If he played any other position besides QB, it would be an easy financial decision. You go play baseball. We will see. I would love to see him go to the NFL.

That's a great point, I wasn't aware of his baseball ability, I thought it was a slam dunk that he would be a superstar, seems from this that it's far from certain.

How many guys do we know of that have chosen baseball over football?

I guess Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson, but weren't they forced to make that decision in college before he could get an Advisory grade and all that? That's where Billy Beane could have, and should have, intercepted Kyler Murray. I think he doomed himself when he gave Murray permission to go back to Oklahoma and take up his opportunity to finally start.

I'd definitely be interested in Murray. I don't care about his size. Kid is a baller. He's in my top 3 QBs if he comes out

How many guys do we know of that have chosen baseball over football?

I guess Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson, but weren't they forced to make that decision in college before he could get an Advisory grade and all that? That's where Billy Beane could have, and should have, intercepted Kyler Murray. I think he doomed himself when he gave Murray permission to go back to Oklahoma and take up his opportunity to finally start.

Joe Mauer chose baseball over football, but that was coming out as senior in high school. MLB 1st round pick money v. a scholarship to FSU.

Gut feel is that Kyler Murray ends up in football.

I just look at all this as a runaway train that's going to be hard to stop.

He gets this dispensation from the A's to continue playing college football, which already should have raised eyebrows and told you exactly where his heart is. He starts going on a Cinderella run, setting records for offense, winning nearly every game despite the defense not being able to stop anything, gets the Big 12 Championship, now he's in the FBS Playoffs, he's got a Heisman presentation tomorrow with HIM as the favorite, then he'll be playing the best team in the country on December 29th, then he's going to get NFL Draft Advisory Board grades, feedback from NFL teams, discussions with family.

Point is, he's supposed to report for baseball RIGHT AFTER all this wraps up. So he goes on this huge, rewarding, emotional journey, gets the 1st round grade from the NFL, knows that his initial football contract will be bigger than his baseball contract, that he'll be a franchise QB immediately whereas in baseball he'll be riding a bus for a few years, and you want all that to come to a skidding halt so that he can report for baseball?

At what point is he going to think that his decision to pursue baseball came under extraordinary circumstances, where after being the best HS football player in Texas history (Texas!!) he shows up in college and has to wait his turn for a few years. Maybe things got a little gloomy looking when you have a rocky start to your career at Texas A&M, been three years since he experienced that HS football glory, and he decides, yeah baseball looks good right now. But now he's got a taste of it again, and I just don't think he's going to give it up.

Billy Beane should have known better. That's my opinion.

Mayfield's contract last year was 4 years 32 million guaranteed as the number 1 pick. If he comes out this year and says he's playing football it's not a stretch to say someone will take him number 1. Ironically, the soon departing Oakland Raiders may be the one to get him. From a money standpoint the NFL will be astronomically better. Additionally, his endorsement opportunities are better in the NFL than sitting in farmland single A ball.

Mayfield's contract last year was 4 years 32 million guaranteed as the number 1 pick. If he comes out this year and says he's playing football it's not a stretch to say someone will take him number 1. Ironically, the soon departing Oakland Raiders may be the one to get him. From a money standpoint the NFL will be astronomically better. Additionally, his endorsement opportunities are better in the NFL than sitting in farmland single A ball.

8 million a year is not **** in MLB.

8 million a year is not **** in MLB.

His contract with the A's is for under 5 million. There's no guarantee he's making it to the MLB, he will have to get through the minors first. He may be a future superstar in the MLB for all i know, but for the near future the money is better in the NFL and it's not even close.

Back
Top Bottom