Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Kyler Murray has told the A's that NFL teams have guaranteed that they'll pay back the money he would owe the A's if he declares for football.

Which is a de facto way of saying that his draft position is going to be high enough that his contract will more than pay back the A's contract.

The break-even level for GUARANTEES in a rookie draft contract vs the Oakland A's contract ($4.66 million guaranteed) last year was somewhere around the top of the 2nd round, picks 33 to 35.

The break-even level for SIGNING BONUS in a rookie draft contract vs the Oakland A's contract ($4.66 million guaranteed) is the last pick in the 1st round.

So essentially teams have guaranteed he goes 1st round.

Murray, Saquan and Odell. The new big 3.

Kyler Murray has told the A's that NFL teams have guaranteed that they'll pay back the money he would owe the A's if he declares for football.

Which is a de facto way of saying that his draft position is going to be high enough that his contract will more than pay back the A's contract.

The break-even level for GUARANTEES in a rookie draft contract vs the Oakland A's contract ($4.66 million guaranteed) last year was somewhere around the top of the 2nd round, picks 33 to 35.

The break-even level for SIGNING BONUS in a rookie draft contract vs the Oakland A's contract ($4.66 million guaranteed) is the last pick in the 1st round.

So essentially teams have guaranteed he goes 1st round.

I'm not sure how Murray was even allowed to play this year after being paid as a professional athlete.

I'm not up on the NCAA rule book though when it comes to player income.

So the million dollar question - is he worth trading up for and at what cost...

I'm not sure how Murray was even allowed to play this year after being paid as a professional athlete.

I'm not up on the NCAA rule book though when it comes to player income.

Yeah, oddly and hypocritically enough, the NCAA rules actually allow that. But I shouldn’t complain. It’s a step in the right direction. It’s the other stuff that they suspend players for or ban players for that needs to be tossed from the rule books.

I thought I read somewhere that the A's had told him to report to their camp right after the bowl game, that's over now, so surely we'll find out one way or another soon.

Not RIGHT after but I did see several times where they said "January".

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft is January 14th. He will have to decide by then.

There is an option that I had thought was completely (and explicitly, I believe they said so directly) off the board. But I guess I should learn that after all their denials with respect to football vs baseball, what they say doesn't matter.

Gil Brandt, who KNOWS these people and would absolutely not just be throwing sh-t at the wall, says that he thinks Kyler Murray will return for another year at Oklahoma. I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would work and I think what it would mean is he could go ahead and report for minor league baseball, but then also come back to Oklahoma in time to play another football season, with the aim of winning a National Championship, and/or improving his NFL Draft stock.

The only thing I can think though is...why would the A's go along with that? But maybe they don't have a choice. Maybe the contract is written such that he's allowed to play football at Oklahoma as long as he's eligible, rather than being written to say he can play at Oklahoma for one more year.

If the A's can't trigger any clauses that require Murray to pay them back, then the only thing they can do is trade him, and maybe that's not an issue for Murray. It's not like with Drew Henson where his dream was always to play for the Yankees and so the Yankees trading away his rights was an effective way of reining in his football dalliance.

But then why would Murray risk football injury for another year? Wants to win a championship that badly? That would be interesting. Thinks he can go super-high in a 2020 draft that could have Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert, and Jordan Love? Suppose so, but then if that's true why wouldn't he think he could go super-high in a draft that pretty much ONLY has Dwayne Haskins?

Not RIGHT after but I did see several times where they said "January".

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft is January 14th. He will have to decide by then.

There is an option that I had thought was completely (and explicitly, I believe they said so directly) off the board. But I guess I should learn that after all their denials with respect to football vs baseball, what they say doesn't matter.

Gil Brandt, who KNOWS these people and would absolutely not just be throwing sh-t at the wall, says that he thinks Kyler Murray will return for another year at Oklahoma. I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would work and I think what it would mean is he could go ahead and report for minor league baseball, but then also come back to Oklahoma in time to play another football season, with the aim of winning a National Championship, and/or improving his NFL Draft stock.

The only thing I can think though is...why would the A's go along with that? But maybe they don't have a choice. Maybe the contract is written such that he's allowed to play football at Oklahoma as long as he's eligible, rather than being written to say he can play at Oklahoma for one more year.

If the A's can't trigger any clauses that require Murray to pay them back, then the only thing they can do is trade him, and maybe that's not an issue for Murray. It's not like with Drew Henson where his dream was always to play for the Yankees and so the Yankees trading away his rights was an effective way of reining in his football dalliance.

But then why would Murray risk football injury for another year? Wants to win a championship that badly? That would be interesting. Thinks he can go super-high in a 2020 draft that could have Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert, and Jordan Love? Suppose so, but then if that's true why wouldn't he think he could go super-high in a draft that pretty much ONLY has Dwayne Haskins?

I don't see going back as a really sensible option, as you said the risk of injury is surely something that would make this unappetizing from both the player's perspective and the A's. I still go back to the Tebow interview where he was non committal on the draft or the A's but very firm when Tebow asked him if he would return for his senior year, he said flat out no. Things could have changed since then but it makes little sense, right now he's the Heisman trophy winner and as you say there is little competition at the top of the QB class, his stock is high, you never know what can happen next year. I don't think staying at OKlahoma in the hope for a championship makes a lot of sense either, his team were well beaten by Bama who were well beaten by Clemson, both those schools have a higher ranked recruiting class for next year (not that that matters much) but both will still be in a different league to big 12 schools.

The fact that he's not come out yet and said "I'm not declaring, I'm off to the A's", suggests to me that there is still a lot of hope, I think he's probably waiting for the grading to come back (when do these kids get those ?) and probably working with his legal team to find out a way to get out of the A's contract or what the financial implications are at least.

Admittedly it has not, and does not make much sense to me. But when Gil Brandt says it, you pay attention.

All I can think is, we know he's already gotten his draft grade from the College Advisory Committee. Perhaps it came back as a 2nd rounder, and the feedback he's getting is essentially, "You've been around for one year. We need to see one more year. You'll probably go in the first round, but not high. If you stay another year and do the same thing, you'll go high."

If that's the case then it starts to make a little more sense as a business decision.

The delay at this point, and the fact I have an A's source telling me what he's told the A's that NFL teams have told him, suggests there's some sort of negotiation or fact-finding going on.

Also the OU trainer came right out in Twitter and said they measured Kyler Murray 5097 in socks. That agrees with the Sports Xchange data which has said 5096. There’s no reason to trust one more than the other so he’s between those two figures depending on who is doing the measuring, and whether Murray is slouching.

Back
Top Bottom