Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Daniel Jones is Tannehill without the arm strength

Nobody that I’ve read agrees with you...in fact most agree with this as he is trending toward 1st round status....

The 6-5, 220-pounder is now into his third full year as Duke’s starting quarterback and has shown immense development each season. He’s comfortable drifting away from pressure inside the pocket, often gets to his second read and is an accurate passer with good velocity.

Daniel Jerimiah is now mocking Daniel Jones to us at 13... while it is very early in the process... it at least show reputable scouts feel he has the goods

Last edited:
So you want Miami to draft a QB with a weak arm with a career college completion percentage below 60%, a career ypa of 6.2 and a less than 2-to-1 TD to INT ratio in his career? You must hate winning.

Dude... you don’t assess a college QB on the entire career in college as he develops... if he shows development trending upwards you look at the most recent season versus years as a young kid that are somewhat irrelevant.

Nobody that I’ve read agrees with you...in fact most agree with this as he is trending toward 1st round status....

Daniel Jerimiah is now mocking Daniel Jones to us at 13... while it is very early in the process... it at least show reputable scouts feel he has the goods

Daniel Jeremiah's recent mock is one of the worst mocks I've ever seen.

This big board has jones at 65
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/05/marinos-expanded-2019-big-board-top-150/2/

This one has him at 71
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/04/sikkemas-expanded-2019-big-board-top-150/2/

This one has him not even in the top 100
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/03/ledyards-expanded-2019-big-board-top-150/

This one has him at 93
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/14/solaks-expanded-2019-big-board-top-100/

This one has him at 49

https://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2019.asp

It’s not unusual for QB’s to rise after the combine and workouts... my money says he does!

Kiper had him at 18 on his big board in late november...Bleacher has him picked 10th overall.....Walter has him picked 8th overall.

I think he’s a good prospect!

Last edited:
Here's another guy who lists 3rd down conversion as most important statistical category, along with a breakdown of quarterbacks and how they fared in the Parcells criteria (separate link) and the three-pronged statistical breakdown. Leads to some weird names but I think it's dangerous to ignore weakness in a stat like that 3rd down category.

http://nfcbeast.com/2018/12/24/2019-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-rated-based-on-situational-data/

Justice Hansen of Arkansas State seems to fair well via any set of numbers. Perhaps, but he's going to need a ton of work. I haven't watched him often but my first impression years ago was that he was the most flat footed quarterback I have ever seen, along with a side armed tendency.

I know a lot of guys are all about the "arm talent" But I think that aspect is a little overrated. Give me a competitor and smart QB with average arm strength over the Matthew Staffords and Jay Cutlers.

Not sure if that QB is in this draft though. None worth risking a 1st on anyways. I would be more excited about Kyler Murray if he were bigger - but then we wouldn't have a chance of drafting him anyways.

I know a lot of guys are all about the "arm talent" But I think that aspect is a little overrated. Give me a competitor and smart QB with average arm strength over the Matthew Staffords and Jay Cutlers.

Not sure if that QB is in this draft though. None worth risking a 1st on anyways. I would be more excited about Kyler Murray if he were bigger - but then we wouldn't have a chance of drafting him anyways.

You say you're not all about arm talent, and yet your arm strength demands are actually pretty onerous.

Average arm strength for an NFL starter would be top tier at the college level.

Yes it's true the college landscape does have some guys that measure out on the ridiculous side from an arm strength standpoint, Justin Herbert and Drew Lock being a couple of the latest examples. These are the guys that fit in there with the Matthew Staffords and Jay Cutlers, as you've described.

But kids like Will Grier and Daniel Jones don't have 'average' NFL starter velocity. Nor even does a Dwayne Haskins, for that matter. Guys like Haskins and Thorson would be at the lower end of the current gene pool in the arm strength category, among NFL starters. Guys like Grier and Jones, you'd probably have to really dig to find individual comparisons, and you may have to go back through some history in order to do it.

People use the term 'average' too much with respect to arm strength. I often find they should be a lot more clear that they mean 'below average' arm strength, if not 'significantly below average' arm strength.

You say you're not all about arm talent, and yet your arm strength demands are actually pretty onerous.

Average arm strength for an NFL starter would be top tier at the college level.

Yes it's true the college landscape does have some guys that measure out on the ridiculous side from an arm strength standpoint, Justin Herbert and Drew Lock being a couple of the latest examples. These are the guys that fit in there with the Matthew Staffords and Jay Cutlers, as you've described.

But kids like Will Grier and Daniel Jones don't have 'average' NFL starter velocity. Nor even does a Dwayne Haskins, for that matter. Guys like Haskins and Thorson would be at the lower end of the current gene pool in the arm strength category, among NFL starters. Guys like Grier and Jones, you'd probably have to really dig to find individual comparisons, and you may have to go back through some history in order to do it.

People use the term 'average' too much with respect to arm strength. I often find they should be a lot more clear that they mean 'below average' arm strength, if not 'significantly below average' arm strength.

I feel like Daniel Jones at least has Nick Foles arm strength which I would describe as average. Although I don't love Daniel Jones I think he would be a solid pick in the 2nd round as of right now. But I would still want to draft one of the top QBs in next years draft.

I feel like Daniel Jones at least has Nick Foles arm strength which I would describe as average. Although I don't love Daniel Jones I think he would be a solid pick in the 2nd round as of right now. But I would still want to draft one of the top QBs in next years draft.

Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route while on his back foot (and facing pressure) accurately and with ease.

That's the first strength listed for Foles in his draft profile. That his arm is seen as average by NFL standards kind of illustrates CK's point.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nick-foles?id=2532842

If you want to set the franchise back another few years, draft Daniel Jones in the first round and try to make him the guy.

If you want an actual change of pace, at least make a play for a guy like Kyler Murray. He's the opposite of what we've had at QB for a long while. He's actually an exciting player.

Back
Top Bottom