Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Blindfolded chimpanzees have a day when they face Ole Miss. One of the most clueless defenses I've ever seen at any level of football. McGriff doesn't know what he's doing.

Blindfolded chimpanzees have a day when they face Ole Miss. One of the most clueless defenses I've ever seen at any level of football. McGriff doesn't know what he's doing.

Yeah okay. Clever.

Yeah okay. Clever.

I'm not trying to rain on your Burrow parade, but do you even watch college football or just in here to homer up on QB's who have worn an Ohio St. uniform.

Ole Miss gave up 629 yards of offense to an FCS team. They gave up 38 points in the first half to an FCS team.

Keep in mind there's 130 FBS teams - Ole Miss is 117th out of 130 in PPG given up with 38.4

Rank 124th in passing yards/game given up. Dead last among P5 teams.

They give up an average QB rating of 145.05. Doesn't even rank in the top 100.

Rank 117th in TD passes given up.

They give up 7.8 yards/attempt. 97th in the country.

127th in total defense giving up an average of 518 yards/game.

101st in yards/play giving up an average of 6.19.

Basically dead last in the entire country in first downs given up per game.

98th in opponents 3rd down conversion perecentage.

Basically dead last in the entire country in giving up explosive plays of 10+ yards.

They had 27 missed tackles against Kent St.

Come on man. Nobody has ever seen a defense this bad.

Your thoughts:
2018- Is RT17 our QB for next 5 seasons?
If answer was no-
2019:
Trade out of Rd 1 2019 draft- acquire 2020 picks.
Offseason-Dump anyone over 30 yr old - including Reshad TJ Cam for more picks.
Acquire as many picks as possible.
Suck for Lawrence.
Turn this franchise around.
Build around:
Minkah Howard McCain Godcheaux Taylor Baker Raquon
Lawrence Gesicki Tunsil Grant Wilson Drake

Your thoughts:
2018- Is RT17 our QB for next 5 seasons?
If answer was no-
2019:
Trade out of Rd 1 2019 draft- acquire 2020 picks.
Offseason-Dump anyone over 30 yr old - including Reshad TJ Cam for more picks.
Acquire as many picks as possible.
Suck for Lawrence.
Turn this franchise around.
Build around:
Minkah Howard McCain Godcheaux Taylor Baker Raquon
Lawrence Gesicki Tunsil Grant Wilson Drake
I’d rather have Tua Tagovailoa.

Milton is a gamer. Very good at improvising and making plays with the pressure on. Maybe he's small and maybe he has a subpar arm. But this kid will make it because of intangibles you can't teach

I know he signed with the A's and I assume that's why he isn't listed, but what do you guys think about Kyler Murray as an NFL QB in theory?

It might be interesting if baseball doesn't work out and in 3 years or so he decides to try football again.

I know he signed with the A's and I assume that's why he isn't listed, but what do you guys think about Kyler Murray as an NFL QB in theory?

It might be interesting if baseball doesn't work out and in 3 years or so he decides to try football again.

His future is on the baseball diamond. I think it's a good decision considering his baseball talent.

Watching San Diego State at Boise State, any thoughts of the two QB.
Boise St Brett Rypien yes Mark Rypien nephew

San Deigo State Ryan Agnew - run-heavy offense limits his throws but.....

Dwayne Haskins receivers killed him with drops in the first half vs Penn St. Pinpoint throws into incredible spots that were flat out dropped. However, his weaknesses as a young and undeveloped prospect were also exposed, as they were against TCU.

Where Haskins struggles is when he's forced off his mark and has to move. He hasn't developed this part of his game yet. His mechanics break down and his footwork is shoddy when he has to move in the pocket. His footwork is really not great in general to be honest, which makes the phenomenal accuracy he's able to throw with all the more impressive. Has a bad habit of not stepping into his throws after he gets pressured a few times. Secondly, he has to learn to reset his feet to throw when he's forced to move off his mark because of pressure. You have to understand that you're going to take some shots sometimes when you do this, but it's just part of what it takes to play the position at an elite level.

Furthermore, he had a play or two where he had a receiver running wide open down the seam but wouldn't hang in there after he was made uncomfortable.

They basically screened Penn St. to death in the 2nd half to come back and win. Most of those yards Haskins accumulated we're all a credit to RAC by the receivers and backs.

Haskins is an extremely talented young QB with rare natural accuracy and touch. And when I say accuracy - I mean accuracy. Sees the entire field easily for such an inexperienced quarterback. But still has a lot of development ahead of him as he gains experience. Once he gets his footwork ironed out, along with working on resetting his feet, he'll become a much more consistently dominant performer.

Should all come in time, but I don't expect him to declare for the draft. He's not ready for that. Lots of growth that needs to happen first. I'm going to drop him behind Justin Herbert as an NFL prospect, as Herbert has improved significantly from last season, and continues to fill in the blanks that I felt he had in regards to earning a top 20 grade as a prospect. Although not perfect himself, he's the best QB prospect in this draft.

I just got round to watching this game.

I think you nailed it.

I've seen some other people go after Haskins for his performance in this game and I think your post has some nuance to it that they don't have that I really appreciate.

He didn't have a bad game by any means. When you say that knocking him off his spot exposes some under-developed footwork, not being patient enough to re-set before heaving it out there again, that's all true regardless of where the ball went, why it went there, and why it wasn't caught. It's about the details, not the results, not the circumstances, etc.

I actually found this game to be very useful in getting a feel for Dwayne Haskins the quarterback.

It could not be more obvious how much of a spot/anticipation thrower he is. Some NFL guys are going to love that.

It's all over the place. He throws incomplete to his right in the 2nd quarter, why? Because he was clearly expecting his wide receiver to run the slant on a slant/flat concept, and instead his receiver ran curl/flat.

Probably a play later, with quick timing, he's clicking off the defensive read and throwing the RB flare underneath the defense. It ends up well covered, why? Because the defensive end read the flare and fanned out, bumped and re-routed the running back, and Haskins just clicked over and threw it to an exact spot.

A little after, you could probably put a bull's eye on the sideline right at the sticks, where he tried to throw a deep out (basically the exact spot you see the coaches try and get every quarterback at the Combine to throw to, telling them to forget about the wide receiver, putting the onus on the receiver to get there on time).

On 3rd & 3, the slot corner comes in on a blitz and he throws the receiver on the slant but the receiver tries to sit it down a little at the sticks. Incomplete, looks inaccurate. At least one deep ball on a 3rd & 11 into the end zone looks overthrown except I bet you anything if you'd put a barrel in the back of the end zone right in the "my guy gets it or nobody does" spot...ball drops right into it.

There was a post-corner route he threw that nearly got intercepted. Why? Because the receiver got grabbed and bear-hugged, before he could break to the outside. You realize, Haskins probably threw that football with pinpoint accuracy, but the receiver just didn't get there because of the flagged DPI.

I've seen quarterbacks in the past that use their eyes the way Dwayne Haskins does to manipulate the coverage, and then they click over to their intended target and throw kind of blind. I recall Brandon Silvers of Troy doing that, and it getting him into some trouble with interceptions.

I don't get the feeling Haskins is getting into trouble that way because I think he IS seeing the defense, correctly anticipating the coverage, seeing the defenders. He doesn't throw interceptions. But he's such an anticipation guy, he's not necessarily seeing the receiver get open and THEN throwing it.

There was another interesting moment that I thought was revealing about the acuity with which he sees the field, and the way he makes decisions. It was a 3rd & 8 and the defense read pre-snap like it could have been zone. But then part-way thru his progressions you could tell that he saw two things happen and he reacted immediately to them. One was the defensive backs started to turn their backs to him in man coverage, and the other was a wide open gap ripped open on the left side of the line. No hesitation there, he tried to step up and out through the big hole in the line to try and scramble for the first down. But a Penn State DL did a great job reacting to it and chasing him out there, and there was a player in the secondary that was spying on him that did a good job cleaning it up.

Tell you what though. Down 26-14 with 8 minutes to go, the way he locked in and executed during a day when a lot was going wrong, including making a tough scramble-and-throw that resulted in one of the two comeback touchdowns...pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Watching San Diego State at Boise State, any thoughts of the two QB.
Boise St Brett Rypien yes Mark Rypien nephew

San Deigo State Ryan Agnew - run-heavy offense limits his throws but.....

UDFA's

Back
Top Bottom