Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

I’m liking Justin Herbert and Daniel Jones of that group.

I have McKenzie Milton driving the football about 48 mph average speed at 28 yards distances and about 43 mph average speed at 45 yards distance, FWIW.

For comparison's sake I have a Drew Lock sideline throw at about 41-42 yards distance averaging 46-47 mph. On the other hand, I've had Lock driving a 26-27 yard throw at about 55 mph average speed...so there's a clear difference. Then again I've also had Lock at about 52 mph at around 22 yards distance, so he varies.

I mean we can all see that Drew Lock has a cannon and Milton's arm is not that. I just it find it useful to think about the quantitative context, sometimes.

When you watch Daniel Jones, take particular note of the way he's bouncing and staying light on his feet in the pocket - it allows him to be ready to move in any direction instantly if he has to. It allows him to maximize the pocket and keep his feet working as he works his progressions.

This is what Tannehill doesn't do and why he's never prepared to move. He's always been too flat footed. If you can't stay light on your feet and be prepared to move in the NFL, you can't play quarterback at a high level.

Dead feet are an absolute fatal flaw. I heard Cutcliffe talk about that at his camp back in the early 90's.

Dead feet drive me nuts.

I realize it can be coached. But I'm not sure it can be absorbed, once you get beyond a certain point.

Drew Lock is a great example here. He had dead feet last year. He doesn't anymore. But he wants to. You can tell he wants to. He's not absorbed pocket movement. He's just playing at it.

Pressure situations (big games) tend to make you revert to bad habits. Bad habits have to be conquered in order to excel and maintain consistency.

It's what I want to see Haskins develop - I want to see his feet come alive. Quit standing there flat footed.

If he developes this, as the late great Keith Jackson would say - whoa nelly....

Slimm and CK, do you guys think that the fins should take a flyer on Herbert, Bentley or Haskins in 2019 draft or wait for 2020 and draft Tua?

Thanks for all you guys do, amazing work.

Only one team is going to get Tua Tagovailoa and far more than one team will want him. Keep that in mind.

Think of the teams that have QBs that are reaching the end of their careers, teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, Giants, and Saints. Think of the teams that have placeholder QBs, like the Broncos and Redskins. Then think about the teams that are in similar places as the Dolphins to where they're just thinking about moving on, teams like the Titans, Bengals, Jaguars, Raiders, Cowboys, Lions, and Buccaneers. You could even sort of imagine the Colts or 49ers (because of health issues for Luck and Garoppolo, respectively), or the Panthers (because there's always a segment of the base that pounces on Newton whenever he struggles) being in that sort of place, by the time Tagovailoa is available.

Between now and then, you could seriously contemplate the possibility that between 12 and 17 teams will be scrabbling all over themselves, trying to figure out who is going to get him.

Last edited:
Very much agree that Haskins' feet are the big question/issue. He's too lethargic. He looks very natural throwing the ball - knows when to add touch or to zip it in, and he can throw receivers open. But, it's hard to survive in the NFL with heavy feet.

Slimm and CK, do you guys think that the fins should take a flyer on Herbert, Bentley or Haskins in 2019 draft or wait for 2020 and draft Tua?

Thanks for all you guys do, amazing work.

I think Herbert or Haskins could be a wise investment if they're willing to let them sit for a year. Particularly Haskins.

Although I agree with CK that with the trajectory Tua is on, it's going to look like one of those mosh pits at a rock concert with NFL teams climbing all over each other to get a shot at Tua.

The last post by mrbunglez must be considered by this organization.

Continue to build around the strong young defense talent. Draft the LSU LB or CB. Rd1

Build the OL around Tunsil & Davis.
The vets like Cam - Reshad- TJ - Branch - Alonso should be moved for whatever value can be obtained.

Throw in the towel 2018 and 2019.
Save your cap space. All in 2020.

I’m all for the ideas posted above. But if you’re gonna commit to the future it’s very, very important that we get some young talent such as Howard, tunsil, godchaux/Taylor, and hopefully Fitz/baker/McMillan resigned

If you watched Oregon vs Washington, you saw Elway at the game with particular interest directed towards Justin Herbert.

The announcers said something very interesting also - they talked about how Herbert was an introvert and they could barely hear him talk when they met with him during their production meetings.

That will be a topic of discussion in NFL front offices if he declares early. Personality is a critical factor when evaluating quarterbacks. It's why I wasn't crazy about Baker Mayfield. Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who didnt fall for him. I just don't trust him.

That's an excellent point about Herbert and yes, I do expect that to be a big topic of controversy. If you're a QB and you're trying to "lead by example," then you're not leading, period.

Herbert is a typical Elway qb though. He loves them tall, lanky QBs with wheels. Denver looks all in on Herbert in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom