Slimm's 2019 Wide Receivers (underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Wide Receivers (underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Hakeem Butler / Iowa St. / 6'5", 227

2. N'Keal Harry / Arizona St. / 6'2", 228

3. A.J. Brown / Ole Miss / 6'0", 226

4. D.K. Metcalf** / Ole Miss / 6'3", 228

5. Kelvin Harmon / N.C. State / 6'2", 221

6. Riley Ridley / Georgia / 6'1", 199

7. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside / Stanford / 6’2”, 225

8. Antoine Wesley / Texas Tech / 6'4", 206

9. Anthony Ratliff-Williams / N. Carolina / 6'1", 205

10. Darius Slayton / Auburn / 6'1", 190

11. Marquis Brown / Oklahoma / 5'9", 166

12. Miles Boykin / Notre Dame / 6'4", 220

13. Jalen Guyton / N. Texas / 6'1", 202

14. Lil'Jordan Humphrey / Texas / 6'4", 210

15. Penny Hart / Georgia St. / 5'8", 180

16. Mecole Hardman / Georgia / 5'10", 187

17. Jakobi Meyers / N.C. State / 6'2", 203

18. Greg Dortch** / Wake Forest / 5'7", 173

19. Diontae Johnson / Toledo / 5'10", 183

20. Dillon Mitchell / Oregon / 6'1", 197

21. Tony Pollard / Memphis / 6'0", 210

22. John Ursua / Hawaii / 5'10", 175

23. Preston Williams / Colorado St. / 6'4", 211

Last edited:
j-doll - what's your assessment of A.J. Brown and/or how do you feel he projects as an outside receiver at the next level?

j-doll - what's your assessment of A.J. Brown and/or how do you feel he projects as an outside receiver at the next level?

I like him. Obviously not a burner, and (to me) he looks quicker with the ball in his hands than getting out of his breaks, but he's very smooth, and he plays the ball in the air as well as any receiver I've watched this year - high points the ball and is very strong/tough in traffic.

Draft Scout has his 40 range between 4.50-4.59, but I've seen people say he may run in the 4.6's. 4.5's world be great, but because of the ways he wins, 4.6's wouldn't be a big deal to me. While I think he can make plays outside in the NFL, I hope he lands on an offense with that utilizes his versatility. Because of his size and skillset, A. Bolden is the comp that immediately comes to mind. While he's very tough and competitive, I don't know if he's in that elite/psycho category of Bolden, but I'm not saying he's not. He has some similarities to JuJu, too, but I think JuJu is faster and quicker.

There aren't many teams where I'd say he's not a fit. Would love to see him in a role similar to Cooper Kupp in LA, and I think he'd work well for Darnold/Bates in NY. Josh Allen could certainly use him in Buffalo, but that offense isn't as creative, and I don't think he'd shine there like he would some other places. Not that they'd spend an early pick on a WR, but he'd be great in NE. Don't know what Miami will do at QB moving forward, but the offense could use a player with his skillset.

I feel like the best offenses in today's NFL move their receivers around to create mismatches, and Brown is built for that. If he lands somewhere with a more boring/predictable offense, I think he can be good, but I don't think he'll reach his potential.

I like him. Obviously not a burner, and (to me) he looks quicker with the ball in his hands than getting out of his breaks, but he's very smooth, and he plays the ball in the air as well as any receiver I've watched this year - high points the ball and is very strong/tough in traffic.

Draft Scout has his 40 range between 4.50-4.59, but I've seen people say he may run in the 4.6's. 4.5's world be great, but because of the ways he wins, 4.6's wouldn't be a big deal to me. While I think he can make plays outside in the NFL, I hope he lands on an offense with that utilizes his versatility. Because of his size and skillset, A. Bolden is the comp that immediately comes to mind. While he's very tough and competitive, I don't know if he's in that elite/psycho category of Bolden, but I'm not saying he's not. He has some similarities to JuJu, too, but I think JuJu is faster and quicker.

There aren't many teams where I'd say he's not a fit. Would love to see him in a role similar to Cooper Kupp in LA, and I think he'd work well for Darnold/Bates in NY. Josh Allen could certainly use him in Buffalo, but that offense isn't as creative, and I don't think he'd shine there like he would some other places. Not that they'd spend an early pick on a WR, but he'd be great in NE. Don't know what Miami will do at QB moving forward, but the offense could use a player with his skillset.

I feel like the best offenses in today's NFL move their receivers around to create mismatches, and Brown is built for that. If he lands somewhere with a more boring/predictable offense, I think he can be good, but I don't think he'll reach his potential.

Yeah I don't know exactly what he'll run, but I know it's fast enough whatever it is. Certainly looks faster than N'Keal Harry or Kelvin Harmon, for example. He's just about as fast as fellow NWO member D.K. Metcalf. Although Brown has quicker acceleration from 0-15 yards than Metcalf.

Brown obviously works primarily out of the slot for Ole Miss, which is why I asked how you felt he projected as an outside receiver at the next level. He doesn't really see any press coverage from the slot and mostly works against zones. However, I see the indicators that he can beat press and play on the outside in the NFL. He's able to create separation and has strong RAC skills. I watch these kids like Harry and Kelvin Harmon, and they just can't create any separation on the outside against college DB's. They look a lot like the Jonathan Baldwin type to me. Only Hakeem Butler is really able to create any separation on the outside, in addition to being a beast to try and tackle.

Brown is outstanding at feeling a DB's leverage and is able to sink his hips in and out of breaks. He plays with a physicality and mentality of a defensive player. I just love the kid. Really do. I think the Bolden comparison is an excellent one - with Brown being a faster version.

Yeah I don't know exactly what he'll run, but I know it's fast enough whatever it is. Certainly looks faster than N'Keal Harry or Kelvin Harmon, for example. He's just about as fast as fellow NWO member D.K. Metcalf. Although Brown has quicker acceleration from 0-15 yards than Metcalf.

Brown obviously works primarily out of the slot for Ole Miss, which is why I asked how you felt he projected as an outside receiver at the next level. He doesn't really see any press coverage from the slot and mostly works against zones. However, I see the indicators that he can beat press and play on the outside in the NFL. He's able to create separation and has strong RAC skills. I watch these kids like Harry and Kelvin Harmon, and they just can't create any separation on the outside against college DB's. They look a lot like the Jonathan Baldwin type to me. Only Hakeem Butler is really able to create any separation on the outside, in addition to being a beast to try and tackle.

Brown is outstanding at feeling a DB's leverage and is able to sink his hips in and out of breaks. He plays with a physicality and mentality of a defensive player. I just love the kid. Really do. I think the Bolden comparison is an excellent one - with Brown being a faster version.

Agree that his body positioning is great and that it's very important. Michael Thomas and DeAndre Hopkins stand out as guys who often win that way.

Most Underrated: Pick one - Britain Covey, Kanawai Noa, Tyler Johnson, Greg Dortch, Van Jefferson, Riley Ridley, Anthony Ratliff-Williams.

Most Overrated: Hard to say....maybe Marquis Brown. He's fast, but he's slight at 170 pounds.

Most Underrated: Pick one - Britain Covey, Kanawai Noa, Tyler Johnson, Greg Dortch, Van Jefferson, Riley Ridley, Anthony Ratliff-Williams.

Most Overrated: Hard to say....maybe Marquis Brown. He's fast, but he's slight at 170 pounds.

Was just coming to talk to you about Tyler Johnson. He's smooth! Reminds me a little of Robert Woods (some Chad Johnson/Ocho-Cinco, as well). Love the variety of routes he runs and how he sets up DB's. Line him up anywhere, and he'll create separation. Looks stronger at the catch point this year, too. Guessing he'll run in the 4.50-4.57 range, but he shows good burst and gets in and out of his breaks really well.

I don't know if he'll declare, given the modest raw production that Minnesota's passing game allows, but he's among my very favorites. Also like that he's a team captain - not surprising giving what a technician he is.

K.J Hill, along with all of Ohio State’s WR’s have shown drastic improvement since Brian Hartline took over as WR coach. I think Hartline will be a big time coach someday. But back on point, love me some K.J. Hill.

Was just coming to talk to you about Tyler Johnson. He's smooth! Reminds me a little of Robert Woods (some Chad Johnson/Ocho-Cinco, as well). Love the variety of routes he runs and how he sets up DB's. Line him up anywhere, and he'll create separation. Looks stronger at the catch point this year, too. Guessing he'll run in the 4.50-4.57 range, but he shows good burst and gets in and out of his breaks really well.

I don't know if he'll declare, given the modest raw production that Minnesota's passing game allows, but he's among my very favorites. Also like that he's a team captain - not surprising giving what a technician he is.

Good pick. He'll be at or near the top of this list of slot receivers at some point. At worst he's #2.

It's easy to become enamored with DK Metcalf when you look at size, speed, NFL DNA but you have to wonder why such a dominant physical specimen did not dominate on the field. I know he had the neck injury and missed games but is it just the fact that he needs more time to develop or what? The type of player that would scare me away from drafting him top 20 or maybe even in the first round.

He had a very impressive YPR average but he was only on pace for about 1000 yards and 9-10 TD's last season. Andy Isabella was out there putting up 1700/13 td. Only top competition DK played last year was Alabama. Best games (over 100 yards) against Kent State and Louisiana-Monroe. Isabella put 219/2 on Georgia.

Just asking because I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom