Slimm's 2020 Offensive Line (underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Offensive Line (underclassman)

I have questions about Becton and his weight - don't see many guys at that weight at his age make very good pros. When I compare him to a guy of similar size like Orlando Brown coming out of Oklahoma, Brown moves so much better.

Becton can be powerful if you get him moving forward, but he's just slow, lethargic, and too sluggish for me. I think he'd struggle with speed in the NFL. He struggles with it in college. Has trouble redirecting to the inside to pick up a twist or a stunt.

Day 3 pick for me. I'm skeptical.

I doubt they'll do it but I think the two Buckeye guys could turn pro now as redshirt sophomores -- Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis.

Both elite recruits who started slowly at Ohio State but I kept an eye on them because I remembered how highly they were rated, including by some analysts who typically nail the offensive line positions.

In last year's Rose Bowl I didn't understand why Ohio State's run blocking was suddenly better than it had been all season, especially against a talented run defense like Washington. Then I took a look at one of the Buckeye guards. It was Wyatt Davis, who really hadn't been out there much all season.

Been watching and rewatching the Wyatt Davis kid since you posted this. Good call. All three of those interior guys (I was already fairly high on LG Jonah Jackson who transferred from Rutgers) are going to play on Sundays.

Ohio St. looks like the most complete team in the country right now. If I had a vote I'd vote 'em #1.

I believe Saban voted Clemson #1 all season last year in the coaches poll. We found out why.

Orlando Brown is exactly who I compared Becton to when we discussed him on podcast.

But I don't think I agree he moves poorly. I see quick lateral jumps that are highly impressive for that size. It's enough that I see him have no trouble getting his hips beyond the 3-technique from the back side of zone runs. I'm watching him do that to Marvin Wilson right now.

I'm not doubting you've seen him get beat to the inside, but I didn't see that happen in the FSU or Notre Dame games. Those are the two I've watched.

I think he'd make a fantastic Right Tackle and I'd take him R2. I see a comfort level, speed, and strength when he's moving and blocking to his right that makes me feel pretty good about that Right Tackle projection.

If we draft Tua would you draft a rookie centre to team with him and build from there, or would you go veteran free agent centre. That is only if we get that dominant rookie centre like Creed or comparable?

If we draft Tua would you draft a rookie centre to team with him and build from there, or would you go veteran free agent centre. That is only if we get that dominant rookie centre like Creed or comparable?
Tua, Espenesa, Humphreys. Let tua and creed develop the offense together. This is my ideal 1st round. Then go wr qb Oline in second and third.

The way Evan Boehm played today at Center, I'm hoping that we have our long term solution at Center taken care of.

Been watching and rewatching the Wyatt Davis kid since you posted this. Good call. All three of those interior guys (I was already fairly high on LG Jonah Jackson who transferred from Rutgers) are going to play on Sundays.

Ohio St. looks like the most complete team in the country right now. If I had a vote I'd vote 'em #1.

I believe Saban voted Clemson #1 all season last year in the coaches poll. We found out why.

Admittedly I don't watch as many games as when I lived in Las Vegas with dozens of monitors in my face. Now I try to focus on the top programs because obviously there are more elite recruits on those teams. I follow recruiting close enough to remember who was rated highly and where they went. That's why I kept an eye out for Wyatt Davis.

The Dolphins need offensive linemen but I thought Shaq Calhoun looked competent today against the Bills. Battled hard. Certainly far superior to Asiata even though Asiata for whatever reason received 100x the attention around here. Calhoun seems to lose a bit of stiffness every year. I did not understand why the Dolphins rotated Calhoun out of the lineup in the third quarter. The combination of Calhoun at guard and Smythe at tight end added needed toughness against a team like the Bills. Then they finally figured out to use Gesicki on vertical routes instead of parallel stuff like Gase was forcing last year.

BTW, Ohio State has the top power rating in the country right now, slightly above Alabama. I think fans would be shocked if Ohio State met Clemson on a neutral field right now. It might not pan out that way in the game itself but no question Ohio State would be favored. Some power ratings have them as much as 7.5 points above Clemson. Ohio State's 104 rating on Jeff Sagarin's numbers is about as high as I've ever seen at this time of year. Normally it requires several beatdowns of top rated foes to advance that high. I have followed Sagarin for 25+ years, primarily for betting purposes. In the early years the betting odds always moved toward his numbers from USA Today. It was a simple method to figure out which way the line would move, and by how much. For reference, the famous Canes team of 2001 finished with a Sagarin rating of 106. The second highest is one of the recent Alabama teams at 105. I forget which season it was.

Love Matt Hennessey. I think he's the best center I've seen in college in a while.

Tyler Biadasz with the early lead over Creed Humphrey.

This one's gonna go down to the wire. What a great pair.
I don't watch college ball or know how to evaluate players but have been wondering lately if we could get both and play one at guard? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think it’s very likely we draft a center in the first 2 rounds.

Everyone was all on the McCoy train last year (myself included).

I think the Biadasz/Dieter connection may be a good thing. Especially if we like Jonathan Taylor.

if we’re thinking of taking Jalen Hurts and making that investment (2A? Trade up to 30-32) then it may be smart to draft Creed.

Anyone else elite worth taking?

Someone who knows offensive linemen better than I do

I haven’t been overly impressed with Wisc OC Biadasz. He hasn’t gotten much movement in the run game and has seemingly been thrown around by Oregon’s DL today.

Mekhi Becton is an absolute monster and I think he's going high if he comes out.

I want a big nasty! Honestly, i just want to see if he can grab a player and toss them like Raggedy Ann at the next level.

Just my .02 but I think Creed Humphrey has just about the ideal combo

of old fashioned power and yet some contemporary quicks...

But I was very disappointed watching him in the BCS vs. LSU on pass pro...

Many times didn't have a clear man to block and just didn't look "proactive"

or... almost lazy. And more than once he was scanning in one direction

when someone came free up the middle from the other side...

Could be just coaching. I hope... But I would look long and hard there...

Just read where Leatherwood staying for his senior year.

He's one I was enamored with in a Dolphins uniform.

McCoy* > Humphrey > Biadasz.

* - just knew we were going to pick him last year. It's one reason why I have concerns about Grier.

Back
Top Bottom