Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors)

Oddly enough, you compare Tommy Stevens to Nick Fitzgerald, and guess where he is probably transferring to? Mississippi State to hook by up with Joe Moorhead.

Yeah I think SaturdayDownSouth had Miss. St. as the leader for Stevens a week or so ago - reuniting with Moorhead.

Only problem is he doesn't throw it as good as Fitzgerald, who couldn't throw it. The size, athleticism, and skillset reminded me a lot of Fitzgerald. Although I believe a position switch is coming down the road for Stevens as an NFL prospect. I predicted the same for Fitzgerald, who ended up working at several positions at his pro day.

Yeah I think SaturdayDownSouth had Miss. St. as the leader for Stevens a week or so ago - reuniting with Moorhead.

Only problem is he doesn't throw it as good as Fitzgerald, who couldn't throw it. The size, athleticism, and skillset reminded me a lot of Fitzgerald. Although I believe a position switch is coming down the road for Stevens as an NFL prospect. I predicted the same for Fitzgerald, who ended up working at several positions at his pro day.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. Surely Joe isn't going to handicap his offense for a 2nd year with a QB that cannot operated the passing part of the RPO stuff efficiently. He doesn't seem to be sold on Keytaon Thompson though, but I wonder if he is looking to add someone just to give KT a push. Not sure Jalen Mayden and the freshman Garrett Schrader are enough to push him yet.

I don't know what his deal was a Bowling Green but James Morgan of FIU has my attention.

Lots of guys around this time of year will have my attention because they look and throw like pros. He looks and throws like a pro. Checks the velocity box.

Helps he ranked #11 in the FBS in passing efficiency last year, and that is not a common achievement for an FIU quarterback.

I don't know what his deal was a Bowling Green but James Morgan of FIU has my attention.

Lots of guys around this time of year will have my attention because they look and throw like pros. He looks and throws like a pro. Checks the velocity box.

Helps he ranked #11 in the FBS in passing efficiency last year, and that is not a common achievement for an FIU quarterback.

Yeah Doege beat him out at Bowling Green. He just looked like he lacked a little poise early in his career at BG.

Looks like Doege is transferring out - probably heading back home to Texas. I'd look for him to show up at one of the Texas programs if he sticks with his decision to leave.

Yeah Doege beat him out at Bowling Green. He just looked like he lacked a little poise early in his career at BG.

Looks like Doege is transferring out - probably heading back home to Texas. I'd look for him to show up at one of the Texas programs if he sticks with his decision to leave.

That's an interesting decision. Thanks for bringing it up.

Slimm would you be comfortable characterizing Steven Montez as a guy who seems to know what he wants the overwhelming majority of the time before the snap, and errs on the side of hurrying to get there, and/or getting stuck on his plan regardless of what happens post-snap?

Slimm would you be comfortable characterizing Steven Montez as a guy who seems to know what he wants the overwhelming majority of the time before the snap, and errs on the side of hurrying to get there, and/or getting stuck on his plan regardless of what happens post-snap?

Yeah I think that's what generally leads to the snowballing I was referring to earlier when he starts turning the football over. I typically see it a lot with young quarterbacks who anticipate what they see pre-snap, especially against talented defenses and great defensive coordinators that disguise coverages. It's difficult to wait on that second window sometimes - especially if you're getting hit, or already injured and still getting hit.

I've seen it get Tua and all the rest of 'em. Guys like Saban, Kirby Smart, Brent Venables, Tim DeRuyter, etc. - these guys are the best defensive minds in football. Doesn't matter what level.

I remember Rourke playing here in Alabama and winning a 2-A championship back in high school. I think he may have broken Chris Smelley's TD record in a season. But nobody around here offered him. I'm not sure his arm is enough to be a starter in the NFL, but it's probably as good as a few of the other kids listed here. He's been a winner for sure. Knows how to win football games.

How strong of a prospect do you think he is?

Yeah I think that's what generally leads to the snowballing I was referring to earlier when he starts turning the football over. I typically see it a lot with young quarterbacks who anticipate what they see pre-snap, especially against talented defenses and great defensive coordinators that disguise coverages. It's difficult to wait on that second window sometimes - especially if you're getting hit, or already injured and still getting hit.

I've seen it get Tua and all the rest of 'em. Guys like Saban, Kirby Smart, Brent Venables, Tim DeRuyter, etc. - these guys are the best defensive minds in football. Doesn't matter what level.

Kudos. Great point about second window.

I remember Rourke playing here in Alabama and winning a 2-A championship back in high school. I think he may have broken Chris Smelley's TD record in a season. But nobody around here offered him. I'm not sure his arm is enough to be a starter in the NFL, but it's probably as good as a few of the other kids listed here. He's been a winner for sure. Knows how to win football games.

How strong of a prospect do you think he is?

You're right, when you watch him the arm strength is exactly what you'd bring up and say the ball isn't jumping off his hand.

He's so much like Eric Dungey. It's a bit scary how similar a profile they'll have as prospects. He's a tough dual threat with arm questions and, as you say, he's a winner. That's Eric Dungey.

Rourke's feet are so quick. I love how fast his entire process is. I wouldn't say I love everything he's doing with his feet but I do love the pure amount of activity. That's promising. It would seem intuitive to me to rather teach a guy that loves to move his feet what he should be doing with them, rather than trying to get a guy who doesn't love moving his feet to start picking them up.

And it's got to be worth something that the guy can run 116 times for 1,002 yards (not counting sack yardage, which I usually adjust for because that's what the NFL does). That's not chump change, even in the MAC.

I know you don't scout analytics and I respect that. I do recognize some value in some choice measures. Usually the more basic, the better. In my experience there have been very few successful pro passers that were not able to achieve something outstanding at the college level before they went pro. I'm not picky about this. Just show me something exceptional before you leave college. And for what it's worth, Nathan Rourke's having ranked #14 of 107 in passing efficiency while also literally being a 1,000 yard rusher...is exceptional.

Where I'd like to see him improve and get more exceptional would be on 3rd down. I think the passing game has evolved tremendously over the last 30 years, but 3rd down still tends to be 3rd down. Conversion rates by quarterbacks long ago are surprisingly similar to conversion rates by quarterbacks today. I tend not to care so much about 3rd & 10+ as I do your reliability on 3rd & <10. I care about both but to me they're separate things and I don't want to conflate them into one. Rourke converted 42% of his 3rd & <10 either passing or running. That's decent. Exceptional would be around 50+ percent. I will say that converting 9 of 28 on 3rd & 10+ is pretty outstanding and it shows the potential he has for big plays because of his scrambling skills.

Probably is going to come down to the arm talent. Is he more Eric Dungey or is he more Easton Stick? From what I see he's closer to the latter than the former. What I saw from Haskins and Goff from a velocity standpoint wasn't very different from this. Rourke is very calm back there with rushers encroaching. He naturally moves away from the rush and has enough confidence in his arm to hit the throws he needs to hit while doing that. The not the prettiest or fastest deep ball. But if Daniel Jones can go 1st round...

I love what he did against Virginia. That's a good defense. He made plays and he hung in there while his defense was getting crushed on the scoreboard by Virginia's offense. Did well against Cincinnati too. So much toughness. So much Eric Dungey.

Shorter answer to your question is I'm inclined to rate him near the top of the group of QBs that I'm not sure have the star power to make it as pro starters.

Shorter answer to your question is I'm inclined to rate him near the top of the group of QBs that I'm not sure have the star power to make it as pro starters.

That sounds about right to me. I've seen quarterbacks like him show up in the MAC with decent enough regularity that I don't necessarily view him as being a competent NFL starter. Think back to guys like Chandler Harnish or Dan Lefevour - I just think we've seen his caliber or better in the MAC before. But I agree he showed his mettle against UVA.

Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show.

In an alternate universe where that unfortunate injury didn’t happen, where would McKenzie Milton be on this list for you?
I had the kid becoming something pretty special at this level, no one was really talking about him in the rankings last year even before he got hurt.

Big fan and was crushed.

Tommy Stevens made it official today.

Back
Top Bottom