Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Just a fact. Tua's game is mostly predicated on nuance. That's Jake Fromm's game as well. One thing that always clearly stood out about Tua as opposed to Fromm was the mobility. Except now that could be severely impacted for Tua's entire career.

Neither one has appreciably better arm strength. Neither one can claim to be more of a leader than the other. If Jake Fromm was blessed with the coaching or surrounding cast that Tua has had, his results at Georgia would look a lot better.

Ultimately I think Tua is a bit more accurate. But it's not like comparing Drew Brees to Josh Allen that way. There's an edge. It's not monstrous.

This is a good QB class.

Just a fact. Tua's game is mostly predicated on nuance. That's Jake Fromm's game as well. One thing that always clearly stood out about Tua as opposed to Fromm was the mobility. Except now that could be severely impacted for Tua's entire career.

Neither one has appreciably better arm strength. Neither one can claim to be more of a leader than the other. If Jake Fromm was blessed with the coaching or surrounding cast that Tua has had, his results at Georgia would look a lot better.

Ultimately I think Tua is a bit more accurate. But it's not like comparing Drew Brees to Josh Allen that way. There's an edge. It's not monstrous.

This is a good QB class.

I can appreciate that take a little more. Take tuas mobility away from him and I still think he is better than Jake Fromm in every single category.

Any thought s on Hawaii's Cole McDonald? I see he declared for the 2020 draft. To me he looks like he has some talent to work with, but should be a day 3 or undrafted player in my book. I admit I can't stop singing "Cole McDonald had a farm."

This is a good QB class.

interesting take from someone who's opinion on players I respect quite a bit...

my thought is that a little difference in accuracy goes a long way and from what I've seen of both Tua seems to throw one of the most catch-able, in-stride balls I've seen and Fromm not so much...not to say his accuracy sucks but when you shrink the target and start splitting hairs I think the difference is notable

Any thought s on Hawaii's Cole McDonald? I see he declared for the 2020 draft. To me he looks like he has some talent to work with, but should be a day 3 or undrafted player in my book.

Definitley draftable. He is 50/50 on deep balls, and has issues seeing linebacker over the middle. It's bad but not too bad to the point that he is undraftable, it's borderline but he clears my benchmark, which means he compares to Carson Wentz, a minimally competent quarterback. Otherwise, he is very good. I like him, in spite of borderline bad decision making over the middle. Another good thing is that he can run.
A team that drafts him needs to limit his reads over the middle to a few decisions he can execute, at least the first year or two. He can do checkdowns to RB, seam routes to tight ends, even comebacks or hook routes in the middle and deep crossers,but don't let him throw to shallow in-cuts and crossers where the WR runs towards linebackers in the middle, especially not on second reads, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:
If Tua is gone, I think we should take Desmond Ridder or Jordan Love at 18.

Ridder's skill set seems pretty similar to Fitzpatrick. Don't know a lot about his make up from a personality stand point though.

If Tua is gone, I think we should take Desmond Ridder or Jordan Love at 18.

Ridder's skill set seems pretty similar to Fitzpatrick. Don't know a lot about his make up from a personality stand point though.

I don't think Ridder is in the 2020 draft pool, he might not be in the 2021 either. I wasn't expecting him until 2022.

He's definitely not in 2020.

I think he might come out in 2021. He was considering coming out in 2020. Guys that consider coming out in the current year will generally not go back to school a second time.

Desmond Ridder will be a lot like the Jordan Love of the 2021 class - as the non Power 5 quarterback with the size, athleticism, and physical tools to warrant some 1st round consideration by NFL scouts.

Absolutely.

But one main difference. His coaching staff are all still in place and the team is getting stronger, evidently is putting together great recruiting classes, etc.

This is a good QB class.
It’s a great class agreed.
I think “a bit more accurate” though is tricky...
I noted Fromm “just miss” half a dozen important throws this past season.
Tua/ Burrow made these throws.
Were they just a bit more accurate?

Most simple terms- Jimmy G just missed Sanders on 3rd & 10 in the SB.
Does Tua miss?
Does Fromm miss?

Just a fact.

although agreed, it’s not a fact. It’s an opinion. Just a little nuance that always gets me :cool:

Your thoughts on Fromm have me feeling much less doom and gloom knowing he’s going 3rd

It’s a great class agreed.
I think “a bit more accurate” though is tricky...
I noted Fromm “just miss” half a dozen important throws this past season.
Tua/ Burrow made these throws.
Were they just a bit more accurate?

Most simple terms- Jimmy G just missed Sanders on 3rd & 10 in the SB.
Does Tua miss?
Does Fromm miss?

Well first off, from where I was sitting in the end zone stands of that Super Bowl watching Jimmy's pass come toward me, that pass was not "just off". It took only half a second of suspense to realize he'd sailed the thing way too far. It was probably 12 feet long for what would have been an incredible, diving catch...but more like 15-20 feet too long for a normal strike zone on a deep ball where you ask the receiver to play the ball, keep the defender in jail, go up for the ball, or draw the pass interference.

I don't personally see the point trying big up the difference between Tua's accuracy and Fromm's accuracy because it's not as if Fromm has ever been 'inaccurate' or even close to it.

Tom Brady isn't as accurate as Drew Brees. They're different players.

Back
Top Bottom