Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

That's well said. That's probably what I was trying to say when I said a long time ago that Tua looked to be from an entirely different planet than Fromm. The planet Fromm is from produces plenty of NFL starters. But the planet Tua is from has produced some of the best we've ever seen.

I agree. If I've got to have four things in order to be religious on a QB prospect, that ability is one of them.

The others being the ability to pass the eye test on extensive tape review, passing one or more significant analytics tests (there's not one magic formula), and passing the character test (I think my standards are lower than yours; I just don't want the guy to be lazy, fat, criminal, pathological, or have a learning disability).

Was listening to Daniel Jeremiah and Rhett Lewis on podcast.

They both salivated over Jordan Love. Jeremiah shared his story about how he spoke with a scout who is well known and respected for evaluating QBs and he had just got done with his West Coast swing and so Daniel asked him, how was Justin Herbert? Scout said good, but he wasn't the best quarterback he saw, that Utah State kid is better than him. Then Rhett Lewis shared a story about getting to know him and watching him at the Manning Passing Academy and said that Love threw the single-best ball of anyone at the MPA when he hit a deep post 45-50 yards down field with a throw that you'd swear was a 2-ball (short slant). Everyone stepped back and said, "Whoa".

Lewis did mention that Herbert had the easiest gas of anybody there, doesn't have to put much into it to get great velocity. He also said Jake Fromm is surprisingly thick in the lower half, legs like tree trunks, but he didn't throw because of a back issue.

Rhett also mentioned a guy that he didn't know but he saw him and immediately grabbed his eye, said that he created a lot of buzz for himself at MPA to where he overheard several evaluators asking and commenting about him. It was Collin Hill of Colorado State. You can bet I'm going to be looking into him.

Although now that I look at him, I remember him now from all the Preston Williams stuff I did. He looks like Justin Herbert.

Yeah he's another one of those Rock Hill, SC area quarterbacks that I've mentioned before how much I like kids coming out of that area.

I was in Irmo for a couple of years and got to know a lot of coaches in that area and soaked in a lot of high school football over there. From Rock Hill and Spartanburg all the way down to Columbia I really like the talent that comes out of that area. Especially quarterbacks.

This is definitely a candidate for the annual "where'd he come from" guy that ends up going high.

Mike Bobo named him starter by Week 3 of his true freshman year at Colorado State in 2016.

Over four+ games, he was 75 of 129 for 1096 yards, 8 TD, 2 INT, with 17 runs for 128 yards and 1 TD, and 9 sacks for -79 yards.

But then in that 5th game he tore his left ACL.

They decided to redshirt him in 2017 in order to recover it.

And then he re-tore it in March 2018 playing pickup basketball.

But here's the unbelievable part. He tore it in March of 2018. He was appearing in games by August of 2018, a mere FIVE MONTHS later. By late-October, he was the starter again. He played mostly in the final four games of the year and finished 119 of 202 for 1387 yards, 7 TD, 7 INT, with 15 runs for 67 yards and 1 TD, with 13 sacks for -77 yards.

He's being ignored because of that stat line. I can tell. But he had just tore his ACL like 7 months prior to the bulk of that action. It's a miracle he could play the way he did in those games!

I watched Air Force and Wyoming and the arm talent is there, and the leg talent is impressive, and I made those judgments before I even knew anything about the ACL tears. If this is what he looks like 7 months after re-tearing an already reconstructed ACL, imagine what he looks like in his second year off the surgery?

REALLY good on 3rd & Makeable in 2018. He converted the 1st down on 62% of his throw attempts, and had an overall 50% conversion, without having any of the 3rd & Short conversion runs that you see a lot of other QBs have to help bolster that number.

And the velocity on these throws...

Last edited:
Given Craig Bohl's history you're almost forced to give a strong look at whoever he's got up next after Josh Allen. That would be Tyler Vander Waal. I've seen some of him last year while checking out other players.

Clearly a big, strong looking, body beautiful QB prospect, with a big arm. Bohl finds these guys, somehow.

But just how good is he? Overall performance last year was quite poor. He was a redshirt freshman. Never know when those guys make a big jump.

Ben Hicks has been named the starter in Arkansas, with Nick Starkel behind him as the backup.

Hicks is the guy Chad Morris had in mind from the start but you could tell that Starkel's performance in camp made it really hard. I have a feeling they'll make a change before the season is done. Regardless, have to take Starkel off watch for now.

Hicks is just a better fit for Chad Morris' offense and has that familiarity with it already. But he's not very good.

Starkel will be a guy nobody can figure out how he kept getting beat out once he gets to the NFL.

This is about where I'm going to be focusing my attention week to week when I'm looking at the QBs:

QB Watch List
Alabama - Tua Tagovailoa
Utah State - Jordan Love
Oregon - Justin Herbert
Georgia - Jake Fromm
Cincinnati - Desmond Ridder
Arizona - Khalil Tate
Colorado State - Collin Hill
Washington - Jacob Eason

Others - Jarrett Guarantano (Tennessee), K.J. Costello (Stanford), James Morgan (FIU), Steven Montez (Colorado), Sam Ehlinger (Texas), Nate Stanley (Iowa), J'Mar Smith (La Tech), Jake Bentley (South Carolina), Elijah Sindelar (Purdue), Nathan Rourke (Ohio), Riley Neal (Vanderbilt)*.

* Still hasn't been technically named starter. Will probably split time.

Last edited:
I've been critical of Steven Montez at times, but I still think he's a kid that I'm higher on than some NFL scouts. Some scouts think he doesn't work the middle of the field well (Tannehill, Robert Griffin, etc.) and struggles to reset his feet if he has to move his eyes to another target. I think it'll be interesting to see how he looks this year in Jay Johnson's pro style offense coming over from Georgia.

I like his size and his athleticism, and I don't believe there's a throw on the football field he can't make. Lightning quick release and really gets his core and lower body involved in the throw. He's torquing that ball out there.

I've heard some scouts say they gave him a day 3 grade, but I think he's better than that on his worst day. On his best day he's as good of a Senior QB as I have listed.

Talented, but I think I've said this before, he gives me the impression he's rushing through his snaps to get to his pre-snap decision, and gets short-circuited a lot when something happens that he didn't see before the snap. I think that tendency will naturally lead to not using the middle of the field very well.

Call be crazy but I think 2 guys who will shoot up the board are Costello and Eason. Both have the physical tools that make you salivate. I know Greg McElroy and Dan Orvlowsky have said that they think as scouts start looking at film they think Costello will be ranked a lot higher than some have him.

I still dont know how to feel about Jake Fromm. Obviously has leadership skills and he has great touch in the ball but something about him makes me feel like he needs to take the next step.... I feel very similar to Justin Herbert

We haven't seen Jacob Eason play football in a couple of years and it wasn't exactly mind blowing when he did play football so let's step off the gas pedal on him until we at least see him play football, K?

K.J. Costello is a good player. I don't know that I see a great player.

This opening weekend is going about how I thought it would for the QBs.

We haven't seen Jacob Eason play football in a couple of years and it wasn't exactly mind blowing when he did play football so let's step off the gas pedal on him until we at least see him play football, K?

K.J. Costello is a good player. I don't know that I see a great player.

This opening weekend is going about how I thought it would for the QBs.

Oh absolutely but if Eason plays up to his physical skill set he deserves to be in the conversation

Back
Top Bottom