Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Yeah he has to learn how to identify those blitzes though. He did a poor job of it despite us giving it away with every indication pre snap. He didn't even look to the side the blitz was coming from and then he'd get hammered and fumble. I wonder a little if he puts in enough work in the film room.

Guarantano still can’t identify that blitz and it cost em today.

Sitting here going over Collin Hill - reminds me a lot of Kerry Collins coming out of Penn St.

Tremendous tools. Just has more to learn and needs experience.

What's surprising and really encouraging is the offense he's running, and how he's handling it.

What's your take on Eason and Costello? Both played well this past weekend.

Ehlinger is playing against LSU this weekend, I want to see how he does against that defense.

What's your take on Eason and Costello? Both played well this past weekend.

Eason is the kid who intrigues me, but need to see him keep doing that against "top 30" defenses instead of FCS teams.

Costello is ok - nothing special. Got knocked out of the game unfortunately.

Ehlinger is playing against LSU this weekend, I want to see how he does against that defense.

Ehlinger is such a great player - I've compared him to Tebow. Just can't see him being a great pro. Doesn't have the natural accuracy or ball placement.

To me the best QB evaluators are the one's that are able to determine which guys that are "inaccurate" can be really good pros and which ones cant. I felt like Josh Allen could. Most just automatically write them off based on completion percentage. Those people are stat evaluators not QB evaluators.

People are gonna make me feel bad for being cautious on Jacob Eason until we actually see him play at least a LITTLE BIT in 2019 but seriously, the train was out on him at full speed based on nothing but whispers.

Now we've got some actual stuff to look at. And it was pretty good. But it was Eastern Washington.

The GOOD:
  • The good, to me, was that short and intermediate, from the pocket, his accuracy was effortless. There was no up-and-down to it. He just throws a nice ball, he gets it there, and it goes where he wants it to go.
  • He's also got a pretty quick process to him from snap to throw. Keeps those knees bent, feet moving, gets through the field and gets the football out.
  • He dealt with a Center that evidently isn't very good at snapping the football, so there's definitely some resilience to him.
  • He flashed the ability to do things under pressure, with that 3rd quarter getaway-and-throw.
  • He also showed that (like most tall guys) he can use the shallow middle to his advantage.
  • Get right down to it, he is capable of some damn PRETTY passes, like that sluggo touchdown at 11:35 in the 3rd quarter.

The CAUTION:
  • There was an aggressiveness, as it intersects with both the coverage being played, and Eason's eye discipline, that merits caution I think, as it could lead to problems as we get through the season.
  • There's an eye discipline thing that might be happening in his game on a more global basis. It's well to remember a point Jon Gruden brought up to one of the super tall QB guys during one of his specials, forget which one it was (Ryan Mallett, Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, take your pick). I'm paraphrasing but the gist of it is, you're tall, so you can see the field more clearly, but that also means the field sees you more clearly.
  • There was some inaccuracy, particularly when the rhythm or read was challenged in some way. Accuracy when stressed is always something to watch. There was a bad snap that he got hold of, threw it deep, and missed by a country mile. There was another deep ball I felt he missed by quite a bit, because he was stressed a little bit. There was a deep cross he missed because there were some blitzers on the way and he knew he was going to take a shot. He had plenty of time to get the ball out, but clearly the stress got to him. It happened again in the 3rd quarter on 4th & 6.
  • Couple of times I looked to see how sync'd up his release was with the receiver's break, and I thought Eason was half to a full beat behind.
  • I get worried about those long levers of his under pressure. He had a nice escape that way against an FCS defensive tackle, but also maybe once or twice where you could see that it takes a while to get those long levers moving, and maybe it doesn't look so good very consistently when he's got to get off his spot or play the game at NFL speed.

I finished Jordan Love's game against Wake Forest. There's only one guy who could threaten my view of Tua Tagovailoa as the top prospect in this draft. I'm not saying he's there, but he could get there.

There are discrete problems that will have to be worked on, particularly opening up Love's hips and throwing left, as well as being situationally patient, realizing that even HIS arm has limitations.

But Wake Forest did a really good job mixing up their coverage snap to snap and as the game progressed, and for the most part Love seamlessly switched gears to adjust for it. He's seeing the chess board in ways that others are not, a few brain farts notwithstanding (another discrete issue he has to fix, the consistency of his pre-snap survey of the defense).

Just about every sort of throw is within his arsenal. He's mastering the art of throwing the football, that means knowing when to take his foot off the gas. When he needs velocity, we know he can drill it as good as anyone out there. But when he needs hyper-accuracy and ball placement to throw a guy open versus man coverage? He can take his foot off the gas and still get it there snappy. That's a hell of a nuance, and it got him a touchdown. For an over-top delivery guy, he can easily slot his arm down whenever the passing lane is threatened. He can pull the football when a passing lane is threatened. He uses his eyes and the pump fake to manipulate defenses, showing that point guard mentality. There was a 133 foot fade into the end zone he threw from opposite hash that was just a god damn problem for any defense, with a corner way out on a deserted island like that and the quarterback still able to place the football THAT well.

When he's "getting it"...and by that I mean you're mixing up your coverage and he's seeing the chess board and making the right decision in rhythm, his total abilities are such that you just know that he's going to lead an offense that will score on you. Unless you can just completely wreck his OL. But even then, he has abilities that can make up for that.

There's actually meat still on the bone this way as Utah State has never done a good job using Love's athleticism as an extra factor that defenses need to think about. Wake Forest by the end of the game started to play some high IQ defense, squatting on tendencies, bait-and-switch stuff, and you can only do that when you feel like you've got a bead on what the offensive play caller has for you. Utah State needs to use Love's legs as one more thing for the defense to think about, to prevent that happening.

Jordan Love has added so much TEXTURE to his game this year, that it's really too bad he walked out of this game having thrown 3 interceptions (with a couple more dropped), including on 4th down trying to get his team in position for a game-tying field goal. I think a lot of people won't be able to see beyond that.

But the ones that know what they're doing, I trust to see a lot more.

Ehlinger is such a great player - I've compared him to Tebow. Just can't see him being a great pro. Doesn't have the natural accuracy or ball placement.

To me the best QB evaluators are the one's that are able to determine which guys that are "inaccurate" can be really good pros and which ones cant. I felt like Josh Allen could. Most just automatically write them off based on completion percentage. Those people are stat evaluators not QB evaluators.

Yeah there’s a lot of battering ram in Ehlinger. Im gonna pass. A lot of Tebow vibe. Tough son of a gun and competes but limited passer upside imo

Jacob Eason is going to have a good test in front of him Saturday night against Cal. Tim DeRuyter is one the best defensive coordinators in the business in my opinion and Cal is littered with NFL prospects in their back 7.

Be a fun game to watch.

Jacob Eason is going to have a good test in front of him Saturday night against Cal. Tim DeRuyter is one the best defensive coordinators in the business in my opinion and Cal is littered with NFL prospects in their back 7.

Be a fun game to watch.

No kidding. Cal's defense is probably a top ten unit. Weaver is an animal. Nobody will know it because they will finish with fewer than 6 wins because their offense is putrid.

Be a fun game to watch.

I’m taping that one

Poor Desmond Ridder he has no support. Ohio State is killing them. He's done what he's could; made some nice throws but just got picked off down by the goal line on a ball that bounced off his receivers hands. I like the release and poise in the face of tremendous pressure.

Back
Top Bottom