Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

If I could better explain what I mean in just one picture/study, it would be this:

1582291911004.jpeg

This chart accounts for BALL LOCATION. It’s a comprehensive accuracy measure.

Yes, Tua Tagovailoa has insane accuracy.

And somehow this year during this immaculate season Joe Burrow managed even a full step above that level of accuracy, which is still stupefying to me and it’s the entire reason I’ve softened on his total lack of arm strength and his advantageous age/class situation.

But Jake Fromm’s pure accuracy, even in a down year, throwing to young players that often didn’t know what they were doing out there, was still 3rd best in the draft class. He’s accurate.

Tua is just...more accurate. It’s one of the main differences between them.

You wont find Justin Herbert on the upper reaches of this chart because frankly his ball location sucks.

I think that one aspect to factor in is that Herbert has pretty good touch as well as the gun, not that he's as accurate as Burrow, Tua and Fromm. I agree that Fromm is being underrated now.

You wont find Justin Herbert on the upper reaches of this chart because frankly his ball location sucks.
Thx for this info. The question that remains is whether Justin Herbert has the potential to improve with more talent around him in the NFL? Maybe he's still a work in progress, maybe he'll always be cursed with accuracy issues. Agree Tua Tagovailoa is far more accurate based on his college results and he remains my preferred Dolphins pick, but Herbert looked damn good (and ascending with great confidence) in the Senior Bowl and some team will probably draft him pretty high. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just sense that Herbert has some upside if/when he gets some better WRs to throw to (and he's a big 6'6", a full 6" taller than Tua and he's also 100% healthy). Yes, accuracy is extremely important but remember Tua was also blessed to have Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs to throw to, plus a good O-line to protect him and a stable of great RBs to mix it up. If the QBs college careers were reversed, one wonders just how good Tua would look if he went to Oregon and how good Herbie would look if he went to Alabama? Tua had the better college career, but that doesn't mean he will have the better NFL career.

Last edited:
I'm really starting to like Fromm the more i look into him.

However, I don't think he's a a future elite QB at the pro level. Additionally, I've read a few places that hand size may be an issue for him.

If I could better explain what I mean in just one picture/study, it would be this:

View attachment 38303

Yes, Tua Tagovailoa has insane accuracy.

And somehow this year during this immaculate season Joe Burrow managed even a full step above that level of accuracy, which is still stupefying to me and it’s the entire reason I’ve softened on his total lack of arm strength and his advantageous age/class situation.

But Jake Fromm’s pure accuracy, even in a down year, throwing to young players that often didn’t know what they were doing out there, was still 3rd best in the draft class. He’s accurate.

Tua is just...more accurate. It’s one of the main differences between them.

i have a question for you. If you had to select between Herbert and Fromm who do you take. I’m no expert but I like fromms tape much more. But I also know there is more to it than tape

I've stated this plenty before but I take Jake Fromm in that scenario. He's got more of what really matters at the position without having a problematic lack of physical skills.

I've stated this plenty before but I take Jake Fromm in that scenario. He's got more of what really matters at the position without having a problematic lack of physical skills.

Best, you don't have to take him @5!

Jake Fromm and Joe Burrow have nearly identical hand size.

Fromm is 8 and 7/8ths inches and Joe Burrow is 9 inches even.

The cognitive dissonance on this one is going to be DELICIOUS.

Watch people actually try and low key imply that the 1/8th inch difference matters, LOL.

Jake Fromm and Joe Burrow have nearly identical hand size.

Fromm is 8 and 7/8ths inches and Joe Burrow is 9 inches even.

The cognitive dissonance on this one is going to be DELICIOUS.

Watch people actually try and low key imply that the 1/8th inch difference matters, LOL.

Keep reading hand measurements for Tua online of 9 & 7/8 which is his right hand, not his left, which is over 10”.

He‘s got large hands regardless.

Then again, some of the numbers being reported vary. Why is so hard for reporters to have consistent numbers?

BTW, cue the ‘Fletch’ quotes forthcoming after viewing the image of him standing in front of the height measurement.

Last edited:
Your throwing hand might be larger than your off hand simply because you do more stretching and spreading with the throwing hand and the way they measure hand size is a width measure from pinky to thumb, whereas in the NBA for example they measure hand length as well as hand width.

Tua has very large hands and also short arms. Interesting combination. I think that's probably good for a quarterback since it lends to compact delivery and less opportunity for the ball to be slapped away.

Mahomes is the opposite...insanely long arms for that position but minimum 9.25 hands.

Jordan Love is simply massive. Huge hands, long arms and wide wingspan. It might explain some of the erraticism, especially for a developmental player at a small school. He's got to find a way to shorten that delivery while maintaining the touch. More than anything he needs a mega dose of athletic arrogance so he's making those scrambles into space and off platform throws again, like 2018.

I noted the combine added a hitch drill. Who cares? They needed to add an improvisational drill for quarterbacks.

Herbert has below average touch, if we're talking about someone drafted toward franchise quarterback level. Strange player because it will look fine on one play then next thing you know he wings it wildly into the dirt.

I'm not a Fromm fan but as I posted a couple of months ago I prefer Fromm above Herbert. More than anything I don't know how either one of them can be considered high first round or even mid first round. Herbert looks like a guy who will allow the franchise to get stuck in another waiting game.

BTW, let's not pretend that Jake Fromm's 8 7/8 isn't a huge ding, simply because we have known about it for 3 years. That is comical. For the vast majority of these guys we have no idea until test day. The spotlight is on Burrow today because we lacked a prior.

If we didn't have a prior for Fromm then the chatter today would be yes Burrow is at minimum level but look at tiny Jake Fromm...that guy is at 8 7/8 which means reject territory.

I'm never going to ignore situational influence or allow others to redefine it away from reality.

Zac Taylor was QB Coach for Tannehill who has 9.0 inch hands. He was QB Coach for Jared Goff who has 9.0 inch hands. Now he'll be Head Coach for Joe Burrow who has 9.0 inch hands.

I just don't think it's really a thing anymore. Poor hand size is more likely to get culled out in college than the NFL.

Jared Goff has been historically bad in tough weather games...

Back
Top Bottom