Slimm's 2020 Safeties (underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Safeties (underclassman)

Wouldn't touch delpit in the first round, dude took a beating yesterday. Throw in the ole Miss tape to find out why.

Last edited:
Does delpit still play...been watching LSU for the past 4 weeks havnt noticed him even on the field...

Not sure on Delpit, I didn’t get to see the last LSU game. I think he was playing better beginning of season than as of late.

I watched some Minnesota and got to see Antoine Winfield jr. I like him as a prospect, and by looking at his numbers this year, he’s been a ballhawk.

Antoine Winfield Jr. is amazing. Might be my favorite S in the class.

Great player if he could stay on the field. Just hasn't been able to. Might be the only player in the country that's been more injury prone than Tua.

I think Geno Stone would be a nice pickup late in the draft or as a udfa. Undersized but diagnoses plays quickly and is a sure tackler. Could be nice depth and good on specials.

Antoine Winfield Jr. is reminiscent of Bob Sanders. Nearly identical profiles in terms of size and explosiveness - especially hitting and tackling. And also especially the injuries.

Honestly, I think the comparison is somewhere between Earl Thomas and Bob Sanders, more the former than the latter.

Earl Thomas was only 5'10" and 202 lbs with 31 inch arms. Not a big dude by any means. But he could fly, ran a 4.37 at his pro day. And he could make plays in the passing game, 8 interceptions in his last year at Texas.

Bob Sanders was actually 5'8" and 204 lbs with under 29 inch arms. He could also fly, it was part of his appeal. He broke out a 4.36. But he wasn't a ball hawk. He had 1 interception his last year at Iowa and 2 interceptions the year before that.

Antoine Winfield is 5'9" and 203 lbs with over 30 inch arms. So he's somewhere between the size of Bob and Earl. And he's clearly a ball hawk. He picked off the ball 7 times with Minnesota this year. That's a hell of a lot more Earl Thomas than Bob Sanders as far as coverage is concerned.

And I believe Antoine Winfield is fast. I have said this a long time, people are underestimating his speed. Every year, Omar Kelly goes to Pete Bommarito's and gets the skinny on who is running well and poised to surprise at the Combine. He recently hinted via tweet about Antoine Winfield being fast from what he's heard. That doesn't surprise me in the least. But I also continue to hear draft analysts predict he will not have good speed, which also doesn't surprise me, because they've been unable to see it properly from the start.

I didn't realize Delpit was so narrow. Less than 30.5 arms. There goes the comparison to Derwin James, who has 33 arms. Jamal Adams is closer to 33.5

Overall it is a T Rex group of defensive backs. Shockingly few have the coveted 32+ arms, in contrast to the last couple of years when far more than expected checked that box. I immediately went to Seahawks forums. Sure enough, they were moaning in disbelief. Seattle never drafts cornerbacks with sub 32 arms and never drafts defensive linemen with sub 33 arms. The later category reminds me of Charles Harris. Not only did he flunk the metrics but his arms checked in at 32 3/8.

Just a wonderful pick all around

If it's prototypical build you're looking for then you have to look at Kyle Dugger and Jeremy Chinn.

Back
Top Bottom