Slimm's 2020 Wide Receivers (underclassman) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Wide Receivers (underclassman)

Both Shenault and Reagor put up 17 reps. AJ Brown put up 19, and Deebo Samuel put up 15. The exact number doesn't matter much, but these are strong, thick, well-conditioned WR's.

Reactions: A1.
I didn't see anything but via brief glance at the times this is a plodding group of wide receivers and a quick group of quarterbacks.

Maybe not plodding but hardly rapid. Seemed like I had to scroll forever before I found something below 4.4.

Regardless, as I linked from that combine study a couple of months ago 40 speed is overrated in wide receivers but underrated in running backs. The result was that fast 40 times unquestionably shoved wide receivers earlier in the draft...but they don't live up to it. With running backs the 40 time is considered secondary but it actually should be toward the forefront.

From a Canes standpoint, that's very surprising K.J. Osborn posted 2 numbers below 4.5. He looked more like a 4.6 guy. But he's so smart and dedicated no doubt he took every step to maximize. Maybe that gets him drafted. In just one season he became a huge fan favorite because he does so many little things well and by all accounts is a great teammate and team leader.

Jeff Thomas played to his field speed with the 4.46 and 4.51. He never looked like that 4.38 from high school. Thomas would try to gain ground laterally but it wouldn't happen. With such a slight frame and so many off field issues along with modest 40 time it may be undrafted free agent.

Shenault got hurt on his 40 run and pulled up with a 4.59, won’t be able to do any more drills at the Combine.

I didn't see anything but via brief glance at the times this is a plodding group of wide receivers and a quick group of quarterbacks.

Maybe not plodding but hardly rapid. Seemed like I had to scroll forever before I found something below 4.4.

Regardless, as I linked from that combine study a couple of months ago 40 speed is overrated in wide receivers but underrated in running backs. The result was that fast 40 times unquestionably shoved wide receivers earlier in the draft...but they don't live up to it. With running backs the 40 time is considered secondary but it actually should be toward the forefront.

From a Canes standpoint, that's very surprising K.J. Osborn posted 2 numbers below 4.5. He looked more like a 4.6 guy. But he's so smart and dedicated no doubt he took every step to maximize. Maybe that gets him drafted. In just one season he became a huge fan favorite because he does so many little things well and by all accounts is a great teammate and team leader.

Jeff Thomas played to his field speed with the 4.46 and 4.51. He never looked like that 4.38 from high school. Thomas would try to gain ground laterally but it wouldn't happen. With such a slight frame and so many off field issues along with modest 40 time it may be undrafted free agent.

Even in the drills, Thomas still showed an ability to track the ball with an ease that most of the other wide receivers didn't have.

But 5'9" 170 is tiny for a guy who basically ran 4.5. He didn't have a great combine.

Henry Ruggs is the only player in combine history with a sub 4.3 and a 42" vertical. That's more in unicorn territory.

I think Jaylen Waddle might be the next one.

Yeah Ruggs is one of those take your offense to a new dimension receivers. He’s not gonna do it alone, but if you’ve got a passing game structured well (like Miami has going second half of the season) he is gonna come in and bust that thing wide open.

I don’t think there’s a chance he gets past Denver.

you know, like what everyone thinks jakeem grant can somehow do one day

ruggs is actually that. production

Even in the drills, Thomas still showed an ability to track the ball with an ease that most of the other wide receivers didn't have.

But 5'9" 170 is tiny for a guy who basically ran 4.5. He didn't have a great combine.

Thomas was supposed to be a star. I remember Slimm raving about him coming out of that high school all star game and into his freshman season. Thomas could deke the first defender with ease and seemingly laugh while doing it.

There were glimpses of that then it leveled out and got worse. He wasn't nearly as dynamic as expected as a kick returner.

Apparently Thomas doesn't take it seriously and is not in ideal shape. That's the word on CanesInsight, which has lots of program insiders. Not surprising given Thomas' attitude off the field.

Overall the Miami conditioning program remains pathetic for a major program. You had DeeJay Dallas posting a before and after photo lineup of himself the other day to brag about his weight. He had lots of high profile weight gain issues in college, especially during 2018. That photo lineup looked awful. Dough boy soft in either version. It was difficult to believe DeeJay posted it to brag, as opposed to a rival school posting it to rag on DeeJay. I kept thinking if DeeJay thinks this looks good then just imagine what he looked like at his doughnut worst.

Navaughn Donaldson might have been in this draft if he didn't decide to gain 50 pounds of slop around his midsection.

I read on another site that Tee Higgins is "resting" instead of doing the drills. Yeah, he is resting because he ran 4.75 in high school and like Chase Young it's probably very representative.

More and more of these guys are going to strategically skip. Let's face it, even though it worked out for him in Seattle there is no question DK Metcalf would have been drafted considerably higher last year if he hadn't done those agility drills and tested much slower than Tom Brady in both the 3-cone and short shuttle. Metcalf had already posted 4.44 in the shuttle during those high school tests. Then it rose slightly to 4.50 once he bulked up so much in college.

If these kids get agents who are sharp on the testing aspect instead of merely the monetary aspect there will be more and more cases of yes I'll do that drill but no I won't do this one.

I found the link with the combine study and flawed conventional wisdom regarding 40 yard dash time and whether it was more significant to wide receivers or running backs. No question the league views the 40 as more vital to wide receivers. It should be the other way around:

https://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~aldous/Research/Ugrad/Paul_Park.pdf

"For running backs, however, the sprint time seemed to be a fairly accurate predictor for not only the draft order, but also the players’ success as professional football players, as noted by the fact that faster players tended to earn more money, play more games, and have higher average yards. This can be a rational interpretation, since running backs are heavily influenced by their ability to outrun the opponents, and that along with some other qualities alone can make them dominate the game even at the professional level. Not surprisingly, the other seven Combine measurements used in this study did not prove to be a useful predictor for the players’ career, even for running backs."

<snip>

"This correlation is noteworthy considering that the analogous plot for wide receivers had little correlation. Overall, running backs are more diversely affected by the Combine measurements in their draft status than wide receivers. However, 40-yard dash is the one drill that could make a difference. Even in the NFL, the ability to run fast for 40 yards seems to be a defining factor for dominating the game. For wide receivers, running fast did not simply translate to NFL success, but it appears that the notion of fast equals better is true to a certain degree for running backs."

Yeah, he is resting because he ran 4.75 in high school and like Chase Young it's probably very representative.

IDK what your deal with Chase Young is, but you surely can’t resist taking pot shots.

Also noticed you never responded to the last time I called BS on your assertions that Young doesn‘t create opportunities for teammates by providing multiple examples of him doing so in the Clemson game. I‘m pretty sure I know why.

I can hear the excuses forthcoming already when Young eventually succeeds in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom